• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Talk about sandbagging...

dekdo

Double Eagle Member
I didnt even play in this event, but i considered it...
Im pretty new to the tournament scene, but this is just stupid...

http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/THRILLS_at_THE_MILLS_7_2013

Am2 all shot way better than Am1 and they were playing the same tees.. not mention some of the scores on Am3...

I could say that I would have done alright in Am1, but definitely not in Am2 and that makes no sense. :doh: Also I can say I would have needed a REALLY solid couple rounds to even get top 3 in Am3..

I think there are a lot of Rec players who are new to tourneys. I've played for 20 years and never played in a tourney and dont belong to the PDGA. I usually shoot even to six under on most courses. What group would I be in?

I'm rated 818 or something and I played up to am3 for this event. Seemed like the top two guys were kinda bagging or hot REALLY hot rounds. I finished somewhere in the middle if the pack, and decided to play my rating yesterday for the doubles tourney at the same course. Ended up winning am4 by a lot and me and my partner got called baggers. I see their point but it's hard to find the right spot to play since I wasn't really that competitive in am3. Oh well. Guess it happens

Top 4 in Am3 dont have a rating.. while one shot a 1007 rated round and another a 996

I didnt even play in this event, but i considered it...
Im pretty new to the tournament scene, but this is just stupid...

http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/THRILLS_at_THE_MILLS_7_2013

Am2 all shot way better than Am1 and they were playing the same tees.. not mention some of the scores on Am3...

I could say that I would have done alright in Am1, but definitely not in Am2 and that makes no sense. :doh: Also I can say I would have needed a REALLY solid couple rounds to even get top 3 in Am3..

I was there. :D

I think some of the tees may have been entered incorrectly as AM1 and AM2 played slightly different tees on Saturday. AM1 played from the Long Tees on both courses, while AM2 played from the Long tees on the Original and Short Tees on the Monster. I believe I saw some typos on the results.

AM3 played the Short tees for both courses. AM3 definitely had a couple of baggers, the hot round in round 1 was (-11) 61 and rated out 1,007. While the hot round in the second round was (-12) 60 that rated out to 996. The top 4 in AM3 was taken by 4 players with no PDGA # or rating. :doh:

A lot of comments were deleted from DiscGolfScene by the TD, a lot of bagger accusations from a couple of unhappy players.

This happens frequently with players that are new to the tournament scene and don't know which division to play. I did the same thing in my first event. I was told "If you've never played a tournament before, play Intermediate". So I did, and I won by a pretty large margin. It sucks for everyone else, but that is the only way you learn where your skills put you.

Also if I'm not mistaken, intermediate played monster shorts, not longs. But I could be wrong

I was there. :D

I think some of the tees may have been entered incorrectly as AM1 and AM2 played slightly different tees on Saturday. AM1 played from the Long Tees on both courses, while AM2 played from the Long tees on the Original and Short Tees on the Monster. I believe I saw some typos on the results.

AM3 played the Short tees for both courses. AM3 definitely had a couple of baggers, the hot round in round 1 was (-11) 61 and rated out 1,007. While the hot round in the second round was (-12) 60 that rated out to 996. The top 4 in AM3 was taken by 4 players with no PDGA # or rating. :doh:

A lot of comments were deleted from DiscGolfScene by the TD, a lot of bagger accusations from a couple of unhappy players.

Thanks for clearing it up a bit. It would make more sense if the Am2 played shorts on the monster.

He's played 9 tournaments since May without changing his rating more than 1 point in either direction. So either he's doing a super job of playing a different, very specific rating than his actual skill level, or he's actually an intermediate. It's my understanding that intermediate players tend to be either "hot" or "cold" in tournaments (high standard deviation) rather than scoring the same every time so whomever wins usually looks like they're bagging because they played so well.

First time tournament players play lower divisions. That's what they're there for. If they try to play Rec again, they'll more than likely be told they have to move up. I did see a Novice park a 390' hole (4 Original) :eek:

Just because you can throw 400' doesn't mean you have the other skills to compete in a higher division. When I was playing rec and had about 300' of distance, I played with another rec player who threw 450'+ but couldn't putt or approach and had no consistency. I beat him by several strokes despite his huge distance advantage.

Agreed. I just normally see it more with the Rec baggers than I do the Novice baggers ;)

Latest posts