• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

tapping disc into basket

lcra0825

Silver level trusted reviewer
Are you allowed to run up to the basket and tap your disc in if it is teetering on the edge of the basket. I thought for sure it was in the rule book or a respected disc golf person who knows the rules told me this. I cant find it anywhere in the rule book. Can anyone verify whether this is true or not and if it is true where in the pdga rule book it is. Thankyou

You can do that if you add a stroke to that hole's score. But in reality the answer is, no.

I'm not an official but that's what I think.

If it's not at rest, then tapping it in would be willful interference with a disc in play which is a 2 throw penalty.

At one point, getting quickly to the basket was worthwhile when your disc wedged in the side in case it popped out before you got there walking. But you still couldn't grab a disc that was clearly still moving. Now that wedgies don't count, no need to move quickly to the basket.

My disc wedged through the basket cage the other day and came to rest inside. Does this count?

Are you allowed to run up to the basket and tap your disc in if it is teetering on the edge of the basket. I thought for sure it was in the rule book or a respected disc golf person who knows the rules told me this. I cant find it anywhere in the rule book. Can anyone verify whether this is true or not and if it is true where in the pdga rule book it is. Thankyou

The bolded is your answer.

If it isn't in the book, it isn't a rule. And as others have pointed out, touching a disc that hasn't come to rest is interference and can be penalized accordingly.

At one point, getting quickly to the basket was worthwhile when your disc wedged in the side in case it popped out before you got there walking. But you still couldn't grab a disc that was clearly still moving. Now that wedgies don't count, no need to move quickly to the basket.
Even when wedgies counted you didn't have to hurry to the basket. If it was at rest before it popped out you replaced it and if it wasn't you couldn't touch it anyway. Getting there before the disc fell was just another one of those non-rules.

Even when wedgies counted you didn't have to hurry to the basket. If it was at rest before it popped out you replaced it and if it wasn't you couldn't touch it anyway. Getting there before the disc fell was just another one of those non-rules.

Not true. Until the 2011 rules update that eliminated the wedgie, the hole out rule required the disc to remain supported by the entrapment device or the chains until it was removed from the target by the player in order for the hole to be complete. If it fell out before it was removed, replacing it back where it was was not actually an option. Hence the necessity of running up to pull it before it fell.

1990 Rules of Play, rule 802.03; 1997 Rules of Play, rule 803.12 B; 2002 Rules of Play, same rule; 2006 Rules of play, rule 803.13 B.

Not true. Until the 2011 rules update that eliminated the wedgie, the hole out rule required the disc to remain supported by the entrapment device or the chains until it was removed from the target by the player in order for the hole to be complete. If it fell out before it was removed, replacing it back where it was was not actually an option. Hence the necessity of running up to pull it before it fell.

1990 Rules of Play, rule 802.03; 1997 Rules of Play, rule 803.12 B; 2002 Rules of Play, same rule; 2006 Rules of play, rule 803.13 B.

It's my understanding that once a disc comes to rest that's your lie. If the disc subsequently moves you put it back where it came to rest. So if a wedgie popped out after coming to rest you would replace it in the entrapment device and then remove it to complete the hole. This is the same interpretation that say that a disc stuck above 2m in a tree is still considered to be above 2m subject to the rule even if it falls while you're walking up to your lie. Otherwise if your disc landed next to the basket and a fluke wind picked it up and flipped it in the basket it would count. The rule you quote is defining when the hole is over not how to count your strokes. For instance if you crack a beer after sinking your putt on the last hole if you do it before you remove the disc it's still during the round and you're DQ if you remove the disc first it's after the round and you're legal. There are other rules that can come into play differently if it's during the hole as opposed to after the hole has been completed as well.

802.02 Establishing position:
If the thrown disc has moved after it first came to rest on the in-bounds playing surface, it shall be replaced to its approximate position. If it first came to rest elsewhere, the disc need not be replaced, and any determinations are made relative to where it first came to rest.

It's my understanding that once a disc comes to rest that's your lie. If the disc subsequently moves you put it back where it came to rest. So if a wedgie popped out after coming to rest you would replace it in the entrapment device and then remove it to complete the hole. This is the same interpretation that say that a disc stuck above 2m in a tree is still considered to be above 2m subject to the rule even if it falls while you're walking up to your lie. Otherwise if your disc landed next to the basket and a fluke wind picked it up and flipped it in the basket it would count. The rule you quote is defining when the hole is over not how to count your strokes. For instance if you crack a beer after sinking your putt on the last hole if you do it before you remove the disc it's still during the round and you're DQ if you remove the disc first it's after the round and you're legal. There are other rules that can come into play differently if it's during the hole as opposed to after the hole has been completed as well.

802.02 Establishing position:
If the thrown disc has moved after it first came to rest on the in-bounds playing surface, it shall be replaced to its approximate position. If it first came to rest elsewhere, the disc need not be replaced, and any determinations are made relative to where it first came to rest.

You are citing a rule that only came into existence in the 2013 edition of the rules to contradict rules that have been off the books since 2011. It doesn't work that way.

You are correct that NOW you are allowed to replace the moved disc to where it was originally at rest on the playing surface. My (and Chuck's) point is that under old rules, that wasn't the case and that the disc had to remain supported by the basket or chains until it was removed. There was no replacing it if it fell out after coming to rest back then.

Same with a suspended disc. If a disc came to rest above the playing surface, but fell on its own (not knocked down by someone else) to the playing surface before the player arrived, the player played the disc where it fell rather than under where it had presumably come to rest in the tree.

The rules have significantly changed in this regard in the last couple rules updates. Replacing the disc where it originally came to rest is now the standard for pretty much any situation where it was interfered with (by human or nature).

Yeah you used to see players run up and grab wedgies from the cage before they could fall out.

It was very silly, and it's a good thing they changed the rule.

Kind of the same as when in the old days you could watch a putt sink into the basket and then sadly watch the wind pick it up, blow it out and away, and cry because it cost you at least one more throw.

Uh … not quite: there is no requirement that the disc to be removed by the player who threw the disc, only that the disc be removed: could be by the thrower, could be by another player, could be by a caddy, an official, a spectator, or a seeing eye dog or other service animal.

The 1997 rules revision added the requirement that the disc be removed by the thrower, but it was not present in earlier editions, and was dropped at the earliest opportunity when it became apparent that the requirement meant that any time two players tapped in and one of them cleared both discs from the basket, the player who cleared the other player's disc would have to be stroked for interference (consciously moving a thrown disc at rest) and the player whose disc was cleared by the first player would have to replace the disc in the basket and remove it him-/herself or be stroked for failing to hole out.

Kind of the same as when in the old days you could watch a putt sink into the basket and then sadly watch the wind pick it up, blow it out and away, and cry because it cost you at least one more throw.

Or have someone tell you to leave your disc in the chains, and subsequently knock it out! :mad: