• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TDD's on the rise elsewhere???

Thing is, I don't think the complaints being expressed in this thread were so much about newbies or casuals, as it was about people whose misbehavior on the course ruins the sport for everybody, including other newbies and casuals who are trying to learn the game or get some exercise. These people aren't so much playing DG as they are loitering, and its not beneath them to smash up or tag the course equipment, knock over the trash cans, steal people's discs or drop their litter everywhere in between those times they may actually throw a disc.

By contrast, the 8/10/15 somes of family oriented folks don't bug me, (even if they'd do everyone a favor and splitting into 2-4 groups). Those folks are usually courteous enough to let others play through and to not tee off until the group ahead of them is finished. Hell, I wish we had more of them, but the aforementioned idiots have a way of running those folks off, and convince parents that disc courses are a magnet for those types of people.

ust another argument for more pay for play courses. A nominal $1-2 all day entrance fee would chase most of them off. That's their video game/nickel bag money you're cutting into after all.

wow! Nickel bag? Do they still use that term these days?:D

Thing is, I don't think the complaints being expressed in this thread were so much about newbies or casuals, as it was about people whose misbehavior on the course ruins the sport for everybody, including other newbies and casuals who are trying to learn the game or get some exercise. These people aren't so much playing DG as they are loitering, and its not beneath them to smash up or tag the course equipment, knock over the trash cans, steal people's discs or drop their litter everywhere in between those times they may actually throw a disc.

By contrast, the 8/10/15 somes of family oriented folks don't bug me, (even if they'd do everyone a favor and splitting into 2-4 groups). Those folks are usually courteous enough to let others play through and to not tee off until the group ahead of them is finished. Hell, I wish we had more of them, but the aforementioned idiots have a way of running those folks off, and convince parents that disc courses are a magnet for those types of people.

exactly. :)

I saw a group that might fall into this category at Golden Hills in VA one time. But I thought that they were pretty funny.

There were only four of them. They all threw exclusively overhand... mayge the VT baseball team? They played quickly and we let them play through. The funniest thing was that the one guy never stopped moving. He literally holed out on one hole, ran to the next pin and threw (while moving) and kept on running after his disc. I don't know if he ever stopped even to putt and he might have had a bunch of penalties for falling putts. He must have been in awesome shape, though, because GH is a hike, big time!

Haha, I have a friend who's a TDD. When I play with him he's always yelling "four" when the group in front of us is only halfway down the fairway and he's seriously about to throw until I stop him. The group ahead will cover their heads and look back and all I can do is wave them on and hang my head in shame. My other friend and I try to tell him there's no rush, but he just doesn't seem to get it.

There are 2 high schools in the area, each with about 2000 kids. After school the park where my home course is becomes a very popular hang out for the high schoolers. A lot will play just so they have a legitimate reason to be there, but its really just an excuse to be away from prying eyes. I pretty much never see those types playing at the pay course 2 miles away ... I've been spending a lot more time there and using up my change jar.

he just doesn't seem to get it.

Stupid doesn't come off with soap. Heck, not even a Brillo Pad would work on some folks.
Seriously, it is our job to make folks like that "get it" imho.

Or, not. Someone who is too much of a dipstick might be better off bowling or yodeling.

Stupid doesn't come off with soap. Heck, not even a Brillo Pad would work on some folks.
Seriously, it is our job to make folks like that "get it" imho.

Or, not. Someone who is too much of a dipstick might be better off bowling or yodeling.

get off of bowling jerk :mad: lol I have been bowling since I was 14! I don't do it so much now disc golf>bowling but still! haha

These "TTD's" are everywhere...... it sucks we have to be their parents while they're at the course but kids are kids and they will ALWAYS be that way.

I remember walking home from school and we'd cut across the same guys' lawn each day. The "trail" we trampled dowm prompted the homeowners to wait for us and yell at us about damaging his lawn. Back then i remember saying "I'll never grow up to be like THAT".............. well i'll be the first to admit i was wrong, I AM like that now!! :rolleyes: :cool:

I am all for the sport growing but when there are 5+ guys on the course throwing all the discs that they carry on every hole gets old very quickly. Especially when they know that there are people trying to play behind them and are kindly waiting to throw but have to wait for them to empty their freakin bags is just plain rude. This is common sense to me but I guess the ones that I have seen are just plain ignorant and stupid.

If someone throws while you are on the fairway, pick up their disc and throw it as far as you can. That's the best way to teach an idiot not to throw when people are still playing the hole.

I thought for a minute this was going to be about me throwing a second disc after I have a particularly bad shot.

We don't have many of them on the course I play at. The worst thing we have now is tee-ball teams that didn't reserve a baseball field are starting to just show up and practice out in the middle of our fairways! I've had to call the park district several times to get them to send someone out to roust them off the field. It's not like it's a park that has a disc golf course in it. 100% of the park is disc golf other than a playground equipment in the middle, out of the way of everything.

Ok, first off, I have NOTHING but respect for ANYONE who plays disc golf, no matter how good or bad they play...how many discs they carry, or what type of equipment they use....

BUT I swear as of late (and agreed with by many friends and fellow DGers) that this year is officially the rise of the "two disc douchebag". I am in no way saying if you play with two discs you are a douche bag(hell, shot my best round this year with just two discs), it's just that every douchebag I have run into this year is a two disc carrier jack ass. It's as if a whole slew of disrespectful punks got two discs from their mommy for Christmas and are hitting the courses in groups of 8 or more.

So far this year I have already yelled at no less that three groups for littering, throwing discs at county park signs, and yanking out trees and branches. Am I getting old and becoming that "get off my lawn guy" or has anyone else noticed around the country the rise and apparent inbreeding of the TDD's?
i dont think so, i am like this too
Its early in the year ... if your area is the same as mine those players will fade away as it gets real hot and few will return as the summer fades to fall.

i have noticed this. last year when i started there were hardly any people at the course, now there are so many its nuts.

or has anyone else noticed around the country the rise and apparent inbreeding of the TDD's?

I cannot begin to list some of the stupid chit I have witnessed in the last few years.

How about a known DGer doing a wheelie out of the public parking lot of a dg course on a pocket rocket?

The guy is a VP of a local DG club. He is fairly new to the sport... but not a total noob.

What gives... right?

My theory: entitlement generation.

they have been handed everything on a silver platter and they have no respect for the decades of dedication it took to HAVE dg courses in the FIRST place.

If a parks director found out that a sports community was known for doing a wheelie out of the parking lot of public parks... how do you think they might react?

Same could be said for litter slobs, imho... en masse.

Spoiled yuppie brats do not make for a good citizen, imho.

Perhaps it is just me that has this perspective... but there are a fair amount of noob dipsticks coming into the world of DG.

NOT ALL OF COURSE, there are some wonderful folks as well. Many of you seem to be here.

Last edited:
Fools are a part of life.

I cannot begin to list some of the stupid chit I have witnessed in the last few years.

How about a known DGer doing a wheelie out of the public parking lot of a dg course on a pocket rocket?

The guy is a VP of a local DG club. He is fairly new to the sport... but not a total noob.

What gives... right?

My theory: entitlement generation.

they have been handed everything on a silver platter and they have no respect for the decades of dedication it took to HAVE dg courses in the FIRST place.

If a parks director found out that a sports community was known for doing a wheelie out of the parking lot of public parks... how do you think they might react?

Same could be said for litter slobs, imho... en masse.

Spoiled yuppie brats do not make for a good citizen, imho.

Perhaps it is just me that has this perspective... but there are a fair amount of noob dipsticks coming into the world of DG.

NOT ALL OF COURSE, there are some wonderful folks as well. Many of you seem to be here.

My home course is very popular and we do get some fools. It is a public park and no alcohol is allowed anywhere. Yet there are those who still do it.

On one occasion 2 guys about 21 years of age were ahead of me and being loud and drinking beer in glass bottles ( I did politely say something about the beer before they started in case they were not aware of the rule and they were cordial at that point), the course has trash bags at most tees, and carrying 2 discs. Kind of ironic. Anyway they got about 2 ahead and I could here one of them get real mad. When I got to tee 8 I found those glass bottles broken on the tee pad ( it was the brand they were drinking and one admitted it later). Talk about mad. I went over and told them to get over there and pick up there mess and never come back if they are going to act like that. One got mouthy but they did it. Maybe stupid on my part but I love this game and I do not want anyone harming what can, at times, be a somewhat tarnished rep.

Yet, while I see some fools out there, most of what happens is just people with no manners, or no understanding of the game. Most noobs will listen to someone who respectfully approaches them and offers to help and while playing you can explain the basic rules.

If you are not willing to help to make it better by helping these people than keep your mouth shut and do not complain. You are part of the problem and do not even realize it because you are so self absorbed that it is only a problem to squawk about but do nothing because it may cause you some hassle or effort to try and fix it. As someone once said "either put up or shut up!".

The timing of this thread seems very, um, timely. Recently, I have run into this sortof behavior on multiple occasions, at my home course, Elver Park. Last weekend we teed off on the last hole, a huge downhill drive, and while walking to get my cousin's disc, noticed some guy from the group ahead just standing on the fairway. His group was already done throwing, so this struck me as strange, so i made a beeline for this guy. From the way he was talking before he tee'd off, he seemed like kindof a d-bag.

I asked him if he'd seen my cousin's white disc, and he looks aroudn for a second, then shuffles through the pile of 4 discs in his hand, and asks what kind. I tell him, and he drops it on the ground and walks away.

Also that round, we played with these three HS kids who overall were pretty cool. However, three times, I'd walk up to throw my second shot to find one of them walking out of the brush with my disc in his hand, thinking they'd found a new disc. This got old really fast, but I was polite about it (I was the one who kept shanking it into the brush).

Here's the problem with that situation, even if the disc they had found wasnt mine, I've got phone #s on all those discs, and not once did they flip over the disc and look for a # like they might call it.

That bothered me almost as much as having to take a drop from the approximate location of my drive, since htey would just toss the disc back down next to them and say, oh I found it about there.

Very trying. I've played with two or three disc wonders that were great players and some that outshot me. Most of them are cool. But I think the point is this, how many d-bags have you met on the course that carry innova bags with a dozen discs in them? Its not the experienced adopt-a-hole locals cracking bottles on the teepads.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's the seasoned experts who leave bottles and trash on the course. It's not about how new you are to the sport. It's about your attitude. There will always be TDDs, whether the T stands for two or twenty. On the other hand, it tends to be a happy-person's sport, and in my experience the good folks outnumber the bad at all ages and skills. Teenagers are an easy target, but they're the future of our sport. If we want them to inherit it well, we've got to encourage the good in them rather than focus on the bad.

Latest posts