• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee Sign Design - easy software programs?

Jay McCarthy

Howdy folks,
Looking to delve into a completely unfamiliar territory....tee sign design.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Free software ideal, but would be willing to pay a little.
Thanks!

Last edited:
You can use pretty much whatever. These were done in Excel while I was bored.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3McFiddish.JPG
    3McFiddish.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 5Noonan.JPG
    5Noonan.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 85
I use Open Office Draw for the sign itself and Photoshop for the side image of the hole with intended flight paths, baskets, etc. (Google Earth for the satellite image)

My favorite tee signs I've ever seen were made with excel. The ones above are basic but excel is surprisingly good for making clear signs once you learn it well.

I'm doing some now and using a page layout program simply because it has enough vector editing muscle to handle the maps and I can work with the pagination feature and keep all the signs within one document. I would get something that has good type-handling capabilities, and look at type designed specifically for wayfinding (so you can see the course numbers from a distance and read them). I'd also avoid low contrast—black numbers on red backgrounds and so forth. There are some better alternates to InDesign available now. Many have demos and trials. Being able to kern can help when the letters/numbers are particularly large as most type is designed to work "out-of-the-box" at a particular size.

I'm doing some now and using a page layout program simply because it has enough vector editing muscle to handle the maps and I can work with the pagination feature and keep all the signs within one document. I would get something that has good type-handling capabilities, and look at type designed specifically for wayfinding (so you can see the course numbers from a distance and read them). I'd also avoid low contrast—black numbers on red backgrounds and so forth. There are some better alternates to InDesign available now. Many have demos and trials. Being able to kern can help when the letters/numbers are particularly large as most type is designed to work "out-of-the-box" at a particular size.

If the purpose of your post was to confuse me, you have succeeded. :wall:

Latest posts