• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Teebird vs FL

crookymonstar

Bogey Member
Almost "done" tweaking my bag this past couple weeks. Feel with my cycled rocs, aviars and everything else I have a really solid bag where everything is at. Now since I'm not a big gun out on the course I've been weaning myself off the wraiths I have (speed 11 is the fastest I carry) and I'm doing a good job at hitting the distances I used to get with them with slower discs. So between my fairway drivers and distance drivers I have my little sweet spot of speeds 9 and 10 just my FL and Beast I'm trying to really start pumping out there. I was messing around on inbounds and compared my teebird and my Flak and noticed they really are similar. I use the teebird mostly backhand and the FL mostly forehand. Actually it's pretty much the only disc I forehand besides my Rocs for nice little floaters to get out of trouble or just try and do something fancy (for me at least) anyway. Not that I can't forehand the teebird I just think the FL is more comfortable. I think I should take one out and look into something new. Anyone who's familiar have a take on it? I was just thinking of maning up and getting a real firebird or something, maybe a PD Freak idk. Thoughts?

Champ teebird, star FL. Might also contribute to the somilarities in stability

PD's are sweet! I picked up a champion jolly launcher misprint from their website for about $15 with shipping

Have you ever thrown a Firebird? I started with the FL and quickly stepped up to the FB. I now carry 2 in the bag at all times. They are great utility discs. I'd suggest getting a Champ Firebird 170ish. The new JL Firebirds have been molding up really nice.

The FL compared to the Teebird though, It really comes down to glide and plastic availability. You can achieve tons of different flights with the plastics the Teebird is produced in where as the FL is only made in Star.

Just skip the FL and go with the Teebird/ Firebird Combo. A max weight Champ Teebird paired with a 170 Firebird would be my choice.

Last edited:
Have you ever thrown a Firebird? I started with the FL and quickly stepped up to the FB. I now carry 2 in the bag at all times. They are great utility discs. I'd suggest getting a Champ Firebird 170ish. The new JL Firebirds have been molding up really nice.

The FL compared to the Teebird though, It really comes down to glide and plastic availability. You can achieve tons of different flights with the plastics the Teebird is produced in where as the FL is only made in Star.

Just skip the FL and go with the Teebird/ Firebird Combo. A max weight Champ Teebird paired with a 170 Firebird would be my choice.

I used to have a star firebird last year I liked but didn't have a lot of use for at the time. Niw I got a little more consistent distance I see it being more useful. I'm almost positive I'm going with another bird. Champ vs. star I guess would be my next question. I'm a bigger fan of star plastic but I know champs more stable. Would a star be a little disappointing? I figure with a. Firebird you might as well just go champ and find myself a real meat hook

Honestly if you prefer star, go with star. I myself throw a star firebird and love it. It is actually a much more useful disc in star IMO. Still holds up in any wind, still fades hard, gets some great skips, all things you'd expect from a champ. But star is better glide and easier distance. Better grip as well. Personally the star firebird is better than a champ. And I don't really give a poop what anyone else says.

A good stable champ Teebird is a thing of beauty and can handle most of the duties a Firebird/FL does until the wind really gets howling, where it might track off a little or not give the fade you may be wanting. Personally, I've never seen much difference at all between the Firebird and FL...damn near identical to me except oddly I'll usually get the Firebird out a little bit further. So I guess I'm saying that sticking with your FL for whatever you like it for is probably the best idea and I wouldn't necessarily pick up a Firebird expecting anything much different...just a touch more fade in really high winds, little more skip at times, but otherwise the same disc the rest of the time. If your Teebird is maintaining the hss then I can see where you'd have distance overlap between the two, but a Teebird might find more uses overall...does for me anyway. I'm not sure what slot you're trying to fill here exactly, but discs you might think of adding in that speed range are the Saint Pro or an SOLF unless you feel those might overlap too much with your Beast or Wraith depending on the distance and turn you're getting from those now.

FL is a turd of a disc. Stick with the Teebird and get yourself a proper Firebird for when the wind blows or you need a stronger fade. I'd stick with Star or a somewhat domey champ(PFN 12x fit the bill nicely) which are more useful than the board flat ones which are massively overstable.

Latest posts