• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Teeing off rule clarification

sparty

Generally we play casual rules however is it OK to tee off from behind the tee pad or does one supporting point have to touch the tee pad when Disc is released?

I throw a very long overhand and sometimes I prefer to stand 5 to 10 feet behind the T pad, is this kosher? [emoji848]

You can do whatever your friends agree to when playing casually. But the PDGA rules state:

802.01 Teeing Off
A. Play begins on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area. When the disc is released, the player must have at least one supporting point in contact with the surface of the teeing area, and all supporting points must be in contact only with the surface of the teeing area. Supporting point contact outside the teeing area is allowed if it comes before or after, and not at, the moment the disc is released.

So not only does one supporting point need to touch the tee pad, ALL of your supporting points must be touching the tee pad at the time of release.

So not only does one supporting point need to touch the tee pad, ALL of your supporting points must be touching the tee pad at the time of release.

I believe the rule says that, at the time of release, at least one supporting point must be touching the tee area, and that none of your supporting points can be touching outside the tee area.
If both feet must be touching the tee area at release, the game would have to change somewhat.

If both feet must be touching the tee area at release, the game would have to change somewhat.

If you only have one foot on the ground, then that one foot is your only supporting point and your throw is legal. The rule does not stipulate that you have both feet on the ground at the time of the throw.

You could have other supporting points -- your other foot, a knee, a hand or elbow. The point is, whatever is touching the ground at the time of the release, must be in contact with the tee pad.

If you only utilize one supporting point (one foot) you are fine by the rules. However, if you are utilizing a second supporting point (the other foot, a hand, whatever...), it too must be in contact with the pad.

I throw a very long overhand and sometimes I prefer to stand 5 to 10 feet behind the T pad, is this kosher? [emoji848]
That would be extremely casual, and would think some people might take issue if there's something on the line for the round i.e. beer/money/tattoo.

The only exception to the rule cited above is if there is a casual obstacle on the teeing area that can't be moved (e.g. standing water). In that case, you can take casual relief behind the tee.

Pro (well, more like MA3) tip:

Sometimes if it gives me a clear advantage, I might stand on the very corner of the teepad, with my other foot outside the pad, to have access to a line that standing completely on the pad would not give me. Then I make sure my group pays attention by telling them that "guys, I am going to lift my non-pad leg off the ground before the disc leaves my hand, it is PDGA legal to do this, but make sure I do". And usually try to make it really clear that I do (not have them occur simultaneously, but the foot a little before). Especially non-full power forehand shots can be thrown pretty well like this and not have the one foot stance mess up the shot too much.

And for reference...Teeing area definition:

The area bounded by the edges of a tee pad, if provided. Otherwise, the area extending three meters perpendicularly behind the designated tee line. The teeing area is also a lie.

THE CAKE IS A LIE

Pro (well, more like MA3) tip:

Sometimes if it gives me a clear advantage, I might stand on the very corner of the teepad, with my other foot outside the pad, to have access to a line that standing completely on the pad would not give me. Then I make sure my group pays attention by telling them that "guys, I am going to lift my non-pad leg off the ground before the disc leaves my hand, it is PDGA legal to do this, but make sure I do". And usually try to make it really clear that I do (not have them occur simultaneously, but the foot a little before). Especially non-full power forehand shots can be thrown pretty well like this and not have the one foot stance mess up the shot too much.

Theres one hole at my local course where I do exactly this. If I line up with one foot on the front corner of the tee pad (standing shot with no run up), it gives be a good angle for a nice hyzer line around some trees. As long as my foot in the grass is off the ground when I release its perfectly legal! #justMA3things

Also see the new rulebook:

Teeing Off
QA-TEE-1
How are teeing areas designated?
Directors may use any of several methods
to define the teeing areas and drop zones.
A single course may use more than one
type of tee. When in doubt, ask the
Director. Here are some common ways
of designating teeing areas:

If an artificial
tee pad is provided and has no markings,
the teeing area is the area which contrasts
with its surroundings in color, material,
height, and/or texture.

Some tee pads are
built with a follow-through area in front.
The follow-through area may be a different
color, or it may be the part in front of a
marked tee line. The part of the pad which
is behind the follow-through area is
the teeing area.

If an outline is marked
(whether a complete or partial line, or with
four markers), the teeing area is the area
within the outline. If markers are used,
the teeing area is defined by the outside
edges of the markers.

If no artificial tee
pad is provided, the teeing area extends
three meters perpendicularly behind
the designated tee line.

If a line marks
the tee line, the teeing area includes the
marked line.

If two tee markers mark the
tee line, the teeing area extends forward
and outward to the outer edges of the tee
markers.

If there is only a tee sign, or one
tee marker, the tee is to one side of and
behind the sign or marker.

[Extra line breaks added to break up the wall of text.]

The previous post mentions if there's only a tee sign, the tee area is to one side and behind the marker. There was a course I used to play alot where I had this issue. All they had were tee signs, and they were tall enough that you could hit your hand on one if you got too close with a drive. Also, the ground wasn't always flat in certain areas around the sign. So, I came up with my own rule for playing this course of the 10 ft radius. I'd tell people to just choose the best spot in a 10 ft radius around the sign to throw from. Obviously, none of it really mattered since it was just casual play at a dinky little nine holer. But it always bothered me just having a sign and nothing else.

"If there is only a tee sign, or one
behind the sign or marker. "

[sarcasm]Wow, now there's a detailed and specific definition that leaves nothing to ambiguity.[/sarcasm]

SMH

"If there is only a tee sign, or one
behind the sign or marker. "

[sarcasm]Wow, now there's a detailed and specific definition that leaves nothing to ambiguity.[/sarcasm]

SMH

That they even attempted to define a tee area that has no actual definition demonstrates the folly of trying to have the rule book account for every contingency.

If a hole doesn't have something to mark at least a tee line (meaning two defined points), it doesn't have a tee at all. At least, not for the purposes of playing a tournament or league round. Casual play is a different story, but all teeing stance rules are unenforceable without a tee line at minimum.

The fix for not having a clearly defined tee shouldn't come from the rules. It should come from TDs and/or course stewards.

The ambiguity is not a problem. Remember, the TD is the one who actually defines the teeing areas, not this QA which just gives some examples. So, if there is only one tee marker, AND there is no TD to ask, you're obviously playing outside of a sanctioned (or even organized) event, so just a "stay behind the sign" is good enough. At least it may help reduce tee pad creep.

If a hole doesn't have something to mark at least a tee line (meaning two defined points), it doesn't have a tee at all.

However, this applies to drop zones, too. I seem to recall seeing some drop zones marked by just one marker, presumably to be played as if from a mini. If that's how the TD wanted to define the DZ, I guess they can. Maybe they could do the teeing area that way, to.

The ambiguity is not a problem. Remember, the TD is the one who actually defines the teeing areas, not this QA which just gives some examples. So, if there is only one tee marker, AND there is no TD to ask, you're obviously playing outside of a sanctioned (or even organized) event, so just a "stay behind the sign" is good enough. At least it may help reduce tee pad creep.

I'm just picturing some weird dude in the bushes staring uncomfortably while someone tees off. Their friend asks "Who's that guy in the bushes??" "Oh, that's just the tee pad creep. Ignore him and eventually he'll go away." :D

Soooo why even bother having that in there? Sounds to me like a course with just a tee sign or a single post does not have a valid teeing area per the rules.

However, this applies to drop zones, too. I seem to recall seeing some drop zones marked by just one marker, presumably to be played as if from a mini. If that's how the TD wanted to define the DZ, I guess they can. Maybe they could do the teeing area that way, to.

I don't think defining a DZ like that is at all correct. I think it needs to be basically treated like another tee box and should be set up as such IMHO especially for leagues and tourneys. It's not hard to get out the line marking paint and make a 5' long line or bury a 4x4 toe kick...

-Dave

Latest posts