• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Tell me about your cycles

I cycle quite a bit... just been working stuff in for the last 2 years probably and I've had great success and a new sense of confidence in my bag.

Wizards

I've got 2 Wizard cycles goin on, I guess you could say. I carry a fresh orange Fossil for my main putter, and a pre-worn '03 or '04 Medium Wizard that was a gift from my buddy Lucas in Madison, WI. It's got those sweet thumb dimples that old worn Wizards get, but is still stiff. I use that one for long putts. So, I use a freshie and worn in Wiz for putting putters.
My throwing putters are also Fossil Wizards. Well, one is PW but basically the same.. One fresh Fossil for hyzers, left finishing shots, what have you.. my PW sits right in a nice medium spot. Straight flier - plus it has the Grateful Dead 'dancing bears' stamp. Love those little guys. :p
And a beat medium for US duties.

Rocs

I looovvee the Roc for cycling. Such a great mold. I prefer white flat top KC Pro, seems to always be stiffer than colored KC in my experience. I currently have a cycle of 5 180g Rocs..
First I have my first KC Roc from when I switched to Rocs.. admittedly I threw this into a tree a bunch and sanded a bit of the bead down (don't tell on me!) because I was too impatient to wait for a beat Roc.. nice US flier, flat top.
Next I found a 9 time KC Roc on eBay that I snagged for $12. Was automatically a perfectly worn Roc, just straight.
Then I have two 12X PFN stiff white KC's, both just workhorse fresh Rocs. I carry both of them in case I lose one.
Then I have champ 2016 USDGC Roc in 'black smoke' color. Flat top, and very beefy. Looks like black luster champ plastic almost. Love it!

Gila

My faster OS Rocs. I pull these out when I need a little more forward penetration and more stability. One worn Fossil for straighter shots and light fade and one not-so worn Fossil for dem OS shots. Also forehands.

Teebirds

I currently have 2 teebirds, one straight 11X and a fresher 12X PFN. Planning to get to the stage of a full cycle of Teebirds. US to OS.

Scorpius

I just started cycling Sirius Scorpius's past season... one beat in 168 for straight drives with a little fade. Fresher one for the OS duties. Planning to have a full cycle of Scorpius's..
I carry a PD2 for when I really need that distance driver beef.

And that is where I am sitting with cycling... I just tried a PD, fell in love. kicked my Orion LF's out. Planning to have a cycle of PD's eventually as well.
Soon my whole bag will function with each category of discs cycling one or two molds.

Overall, I think cycling a few molds in your bag will only boost your confidence and trust in your discs. It has for me, and my game has been improving.

Also forgot;

Harps

I have one beat up puddle top BT Hard for 'straight n' sturdy' shots I'd call them. Haha I can rip it hard and it goes straight with solid HSS for 98% of flight. And I carry a fresh Harp for your general Harp stuff.

Classic cycle:

4 Star Destroyers
-Beefy AJ
-Less Beefy AJ
-Couple of *D's

3 Firebirds
-Stupid OS 11x
-Broken in 11x
-Beat to crap PFN

3 Teebirds
-Fresh Climo Champ
-2 11x's

2 Pro Leopards

4 Rocs

4 BB Aviars.

Then I also carry a PFN Champ Beast, a Champ EL and a Small Bead Aviar.

In an effort to find a "lagom" minimalistic bag, both in amount of discs but also molds, I found discs that I really feel can do it all for me.
They all start slightly more HSS then I prefer for the intended speed/distance, making a fresh one the perfect straight in a headwind disc for my arm and form.

Mercy:
I bought four Sarek since I wanted a do-it-all p&a and figured premium plastic was durable. As I got better getting speed on my putts and the cold weather came I bought a medium Mercy. I tried driving this nice flat top putter, HSS like a dream... Now I bag one beaten to US, one beat in and one Fresh, zero hård and prime being the favorite plastics.

Compass:
I know it ain't worthy of cycling since it actually starts out a great disc, I just find one beat into a Elite-Z Buzzz even better so I bag both. ;)

Explorer:
Finally got my Swedish Teebird. What else do I need to say? You would just call me fanboy if I spewed my feelings and thoughts on this mold.
Opto max weight I can push over 325' in a headwind and the Gold-x beats in to a G* Teebird in a month and even less stable equally fast.
Unfortunately I lost my beat one so I still got the River and the Saint in the bag, this disc might replace both.

Flow:
I think that more people should try to buy a beat in version of a stable speed 10-11 DD. These are pure control and fly as far as high speed drivers (380' field no wind) for me.
Max weight Pop-top (old pearly are beefy) for headwind (330') a beat to straight one of those and one Opto at 169g to simulate my beat to turnover (flies lika a faster Saint) I threw in a lake.

I didn't intend to answer but I love my current setup and im sure it made me confident enough to save at least a handful of strokes during the weekends four round tournament in the snow... :D

Last edited:
Didn't mean it this way but it suits my game: pretty much what Kenny does.

Kc aviars: one dedicated for putting. I practice putt with all of them so they can get some season in them and fly a little straighter. That way when my straight one starts turning, I now have a turnover putter, and I take a practice one and have a straight flying one. I recently started bagging a nova too, so for throwing putters I have a beat US kc, my nova, and one older kc that is has a good fade to it, but is weirdly the farthest flyer.

Rocs: one glow champ usdc rancho for straight to good fade, a fresh-ish kc for a little straighter with less fade, and a beat dx for straight to late turn. I also bag a comet, which is very similar to a beat roc. These two overlap a bit but it's good to have a stock replacement for a worn disc. I also bag a DX stingray for tailwind turnovers and crazy trick shot "backhand sidearms"

Star wraiths - one flat one beat to turnover, one medium, kinda -2,2 flight, and one pretty straight to fade. These are all pfn 12x wraiths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I prefer a mini cycle, one that covers no more than a couple of slots in one mold.

For example, say I want to cover my driving putter stability spectrum, we have:

OS - STABLE - NEUTRAL - US

I might cycle hard harps from OS to STABLE until I have one or two backups, then either toss a premium plastic harp in the bag for an OS slot that holds, or just keep cycling out the hard harps when they reach the "STABLE" sweet spot as backups.

Before I have a hard harp beat in enough to be considered "STABLE" and not "OS," I'll fill the STABLE slot with a more mellow driving putter in base plastic. Before I beat said driving putter from STABLE to NEUTRAL, I'll fill the NEUTRAL slot with another mold, and so on for US (if I decide that slot is worth bagging initially).

Basically I start like this:

a fresh mold1 in base plastic - a fresh mold2 in base plastic - a fresh mold3 in base plastic - a fresh mold4 in base plastic(maybe)

and end up with:
mold1 in premium - mold1 in base, beat - mold 2 in premium - mold2 in base, beat

This is possibly at risk of allowing overlap between say, a beat harp and a premium shield or something, but then again is a beat harp all that much like a premium old school driving putter? I actually throw a premium judge alongside a beat harp, so there's not that much overlap anyway.

This way rather than having to wait months (years?) for even a base plastic disc to cycle all the way from OS to US, I'm using premium plastic to fill in gaps when I'm comfortable with the number of backups I have. If I lose a neutral/US judge, the mold is only one click away from that slot off the shelf, and two wooded rounds with a classic blend judge will get me where I need to be for a backup.

I'm currently working on an outlaw cycle but it's taking some time. I may throw one in a parking lot to get it seasoned faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might start doing an Eagle cycle. Right now:

168 Champ - straight but still has Eagle fade
171 Dx - getting worn in, slightly less OS than above
16? 10x KC - trick shot flippy

I really dislike the Eagle in JL, too beefy and just feels awful in the hand, so probably go with Star for premiums

I have always cycled to an extent. I never found a disc that I have learned to trust losing its purpose. The most extreme I have gone is when I had 4 Z preds in the bag the least stable was a hyzerflip to turnover driver.
Now I cycle
GrymX-all k1. Stable to OS all the way to hyzerflip to turn. Carry 2 to 5 depending on course/conditions
Rask Carry 1 fresh and one seasoned.
Kaxe 2 K1, one fresh and 1 seasoned. 2 k3 1 fresh and 1 seasoned. Likely will be carrying 3 soon.
Reko GlowK1 fresh and seasoned, k3 seasoned.

Cannot wait till I have 2 or 3 stages of stal and all ky preds are replaced.

Mercy:
I bought four Sarek since I wanted a do-it-all p&a and figured premium plastic was durable. As I got better getting speed on my putts and the cold weather came I bought a medium Mercy. I tried driving this nice flat top putter, HSS like a dream... Now I bag one beaten to US, one beat in and one Fresh, zero hård and prime being the favorite plastics.
. :D

Mercy is trilogys most underrated putter. I loved them putting and approach. The fact the LE GL was the only premium swayed me to move on, probably wouldnt have with the current options.

Reko does well for me with a flatter top and lower profile. The glow is just as stable as a premium mercy as well.

I've cycled a ton of discs over the years. Currently I have a Warlock cycle going, all three of them are S plastic "soft" but I picked out the stiffest softs I could find. One is pretty fresh and still has some decent fade and is thrown off the tee, one is seasoned pretty straight and is primarily my approach disc, and the third one I could use for turnovers if I had to but I mostly just putt with it.

I have an almost Comet cycle. I have a beat Z Comet in the turnover slot and a Big Z as the primary Mid. I have a Z that was really beefy out of the box that I stuck in as the OS Comet several years ago (before I picked up the Big Z) that I almost never throw, so it's still there and not ready to cycle down. The Big Z Comet started out less beefy than my OS Comet so it slid in the bag out of order.

I almost never throw the OS Comet because I carry two Q Sentinels, one which is beat in and overlaps with the OS Comet. I have a fresh Q in when I have a lot of wind or need more fade.

When it warms up the Comets will go away and three Rocs will replace them. Last year it was a thrashed 8X KC Roc in the turnover slot, a seasoned DX ZamRoc as the workhorse and a fresher 12X KC Roc in the OS slot, but I have a really nice new DX Roc I think I'm going to stick in the OS slot this year.

Drivers I tend to cary backups of but don't really cycle intentionally. A lot of the time the primary disc I use will get beat in and the backup that I rarely throw will stay mostly like it was out of the box, so you will get that cycling effect of the same disc with different flights. I have that right now with two ESP Cyclones, two Pro Valks and two DX Firebirds. In all of those cases I have a backup that is noticeably beefier in flight than the primary disc I throw, but they really are in the bag just in case I lose the primary disc.

So far my cycling has consisted of only my throwing putters. I have a zero hard pure that's beat in and turns nicely or can power down on it for an ice rope upshot or short drive, one zero hard that is kinda fresh just straight shots mostly drives within 220' and to top it off an Opto pure 220'-250' straight drives and I can throw lofty hyzers or longer turnovers that I need to stay lower. I don't know if putting putters count as a cycle I have one for in the circle, one for circle two rang and one for longer and jump putt range. I usually retire them to practice putters and have one in each stage set back just in case.

This cycle changed up took out the US pure and now it's just two, but my Opto is workable enough to cover all shots really, still the other pure moved down.

Recently began a cycle of prophecies, working on beating one now with one beefy baseline and a premium to hold down the top slot.

Putters, I cycle classic aviars. I get two for throwing and keep one in the bag. When that one starts to get where I like for putting I swap it out for the other until they are both for putting. By that time usually I have a couple in my practice stack that are a bit too flippy for what I prefer putting wise, and one becomes a turnover putter. I have probably 10 in my practice stack that I switch out for ones in the bag, 1 fresh one on the rack, and what's in my bag now, which is one fresh - 2 for putting - one for flippy shots.

Rocs. I keep one champ rancho in the bag and 2-4 DX depending. Pretty standard DX roc cycle, just rotated in a fresh one, and need to power beat 2 in for flippy backups.

If 2 disc cycles count I have a 2 disc Sexton firebird cycle going now. With 2 fresh 2018 on the rack to work in eventually. Should be set for years with that.

I throw eagles of a couple plastics and do keep 2 stars in the bag but don't think it's particulary a cycle (one L one X) but did just grab 2 DX x molds to experiment with. The DX eagle x is such a unique flying disc I gotta see where it beats in to.

Putters, I cycle classic aviars. I get two for throwing and keep one in the bag. When that one starts to get where I like for putting I swap it out for the other until they are both for putting. By that time usually I have a couple in my practice stack that are a bit too flippy for what I prefer putting wise, and one becomes a turnover putter. I have probably 10 in my practice stack that I switch out for ones in the bag, 1 fresh one on the rack, and what's in my bag now, which is one fresh - 2 for putting - one for flippy shots.

Rocs. I keep one champ rancho in the bag and 2-4 DX depending. Pretty standard DX roc cycle, just rotated in a fresh one, and need to power beat 2 in for flippy backups.

If 2 disc cycles count I have a 2 disc Sexton firebird cycle going now. With 2 fresh 2018 on the rack to work in eventually. Should be set for years with that.

I throw eagles of a couple plastics and do keep 2 stars in the bag but don't think it's particulary a cycle (one L one X) but did just grab 2 DX x molds to experiment with. The DX eagle x is such a unique flying disc I gotta see where it beats in to.

I like the Putter rotation idea. I do it but my putters are used for putting only.
I think in this Thread I have posted my Putter Rotation plan, Jawbreaker is not that durable on the same level as Newer Pro D made after 2005.

I've cycled a ton of discs over the years. Currently I have a Warlock cycle going, all three of them are S plastic "soft" but I picked out the stiffest softs I could find. One is pretty fresh and still has some decent fade and is thrown off the tee, one is seasoned pretty straight and is primarily my approach disc, and the third one I could use for turnovers if I had to but I mostly just putt with it.

I have an almost Comet cycle. I have a beat Z Comet in the turnover slot and a Big Z as the primary Mid. I have a Z that was really beefy out of the box that I stuck in as the OS Comet several years ago (before I picked up the Big Z) that I almost never throw, so it's still there and not ready to cycle down. The Big Z Comet started out less beefy than my OS Comet so it slid in the bag out of order.

I almost never throw the OS Comet because I carry two Q Sentinels, one which is beat in and overlaps with the OS Comet. I have a fresh Q in when I have a lot of wind or need more fade.

When it warms up the Comets will go away and three Rocs will replace them. Last year it was a thrashed 8X KC Roc in the turnover slot, a seasoned DX ZamRoc as the workhorse and a fresher 12X KC Roc in the OS slot, but I have a really nice new DX Roc I think I'm going to stick in the OS slot this year.

Drivers I tend to cary backups of but don't really cycle intentionally. A lot of the time the primary disc I use will get beat in and the backup that I rarely throw will stay mostly like it was out of the box, so you will get that cycling effect of the same disc with different flights. I have that right now with two ESP Cyclones, two Pro Valks and two DX Firebirds. In all of those cases I have a backup that is noticeably beefier in flight than the primary disc I throw, but they really are in the bag just in case I lose the primary disc.

I do the same with most discs except with my other disc is often the Star or ESP version of the disc, used in winter, rain as well as wet ground conditions too. Most of these other disc except these 2 is 2 of the same disc champion as I found the Star discs vary too much and another 2 of the same disc only come in ESP.

I only have an intentional planned rotation with Putters, Jawbreaker is a more easy to break in plastic.

My main cycling discs are basically everything in my bag. I have a full cycle of 300 pa1, proD zone, s demon, opto trident, star firebird, s-line pd2. These all work really well for me. The pd2 and zone cycles would be the most used for me but all cycle well.

My main cycling discs are basically everything in my bag. I have a full cycle of 300 pa1, proD zone, s demon, opto trident, star firebird, s-line pd2. These all work really well for me. The pd2 and zone cycles would be the most used for me but all cycle well.

Wow, carrying Demons huh? Nice!!

Right now I'm really digging the explorer I have a SE explorer that's beating in nicely to fill an under stable role, paired with 2 Opto's one that has a decent dome to it as the other one it a bit flatter. I have a gold line Explorer on the way and am really excited for the moonshine explorer to be released to see where that fits in.