• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Tell me about your Stag...

Do you guys think that if I did a Stag Video anyone would care? Or would it just be the three of us watching it?

So I did it, and basically no one watched. Got to throw more Stags though so it was a good day.

So I did it, and basically no one watched. Got to throw more Stags though so it was a good day.

It was a bit hard to see the flights on your throws, but it looked like your old Recycled Stag wasn't nearly as understable as I would have expected after 4 years.

It was a bit hard to see the flights on your throws, but it looked like your old Recycled Stag wasn't nearly as understable as I would have expected after 4 years.

It's really not, the newer flatter one is much less stable. Don't know why but it has beaten in super slow.

I'm going to try and find a new field to film in, the backdrop at that one has too much sky and a white building.

I miss my old spot near my old office, but I don't work near that area anymore. It had a wall of really high pines that provided a nice backdrop.

It's hard to find a field with 400-500 ft of open space around here.

I bought a stag, threw it once, and left it in the fairway. garbage fairway driver. :thmbdown:

I bought a stag, threw it once, and left it in the fairway. garbage fairway driver. :thmbdown:

Could you elaborate a bit why it wasn't a hit for you? I've never thrown a Stag and would like to hear a critical point of view too, although basing it on more than a single throw would be preferable...

Could you elaborate a bit why it wasn't a hit for you? I've never thrown a Stag and would like to hear a critical point of view too, although basing it on more than a single throw would be preferable...

I can probably guess why he hates it. Stags used to be stamped with a flight rating of 8/6/0/3, which was comically inaccurate. The speed and glide are pretty on point, but all Stags I've thrown have at least -1 turn and no more than 2 fade, and sometimes are even less stable than that (like if you get a low weight flat one). Quite a few players have picked up a Stag expecting a glidier Firebird or more overstable Thunderbird, and found the Stag to be no where close to their expectations. Hence the birth of the "Stag is a crappy disc" posse.

If you are in the market for a middle-of-the-road workhorse fairway, you will be happy with a Stag. I find it to be a tad more comfortable in the hand than an FD, TL, or an Undertaker, and a little slower (meaning also more versatile) than an Escape or Saint. For me the Stag is the goldilocks of workhorse fairways. It just works. But any of the other options I just mentioned (FD, TL, Undertaker, Escape, Saint) will potentially also work out for this slot.

I have no idea if they are ever going to put out more Stags or not some time soon (loved the VIP's). In the meantime, the Bear (8, 6, -0.5, 2.5) is coming out soon and should be a nice replacement. Anyone know when?

I have no idea if they are ever going to put out more Stags or not some time soon (loved the VIP's). In the meantime, the Bear (8, 6, -0.5, 2.5) is coming out soon and should be a nice replacement. Anyone know when?

You can get them right now. First run VIP Ice is out.

They did run some VIP Stags not too long ago as well. Might still be able to find some with some searching.

You can get them right now. First run VIP Ice is out.

They did run some VIP Stags not too long ago as well. Might still be able to find some with some searching.

Yup. There are still some VIP Happy Skull Stags floating around the shops, at least here in Scandinavia.

22 months ago, I swore that no Latitude 64-produced disc would ever touch the inside of my bag again, but despite that, the Stag is still my favorite disc, and I sometimes cast long glances at what Stags are available. At least my domey blue glitter VIP and pink VIP-X are in the bag of a friend, so that I often see them again.

The Stag must be one of, if not THE longest 8-speed discs around. They just FLY. Sure, they might crash and burn if you get too careless with them, but they are so fun to throw.

There are a lot of the Skull stamped ones in US stores too, I've got one and it flies good. Interested in trying the Bear, but I'm going to have to wait a bit as the cheapest I've seen so far is $30

There are a lot of the Skull stamped ones in US stores too, I've got one and it flies good. Interested in trying the Bear, but I'm going to have to wait a bit as the cheapest I've seen so far is $30

I've been seeing a good stock of Stags (stock and skull stamp) in-store and online for a few months now.

Felt up a Bear this week, looks and feels like a beefier Stag. I didn't get to throw it but the wing edge is taller(?) than a Stag but with the same overall shape

I came across a completely blank white Stag in the used bin. Looks like TP but maybe hybrid? Just odd to see zero stamp on a westside side disc.

I came across a completely blank white Stag in the used bin. Looks like TP but maybe hybrid? Just odd to see zero stamp on a westside side disc.

I have a bursty looking Westside Queen without a stamp. It's the only one I own or recall even seeing. So did you buy it?

I have a bursty looking Westside Queen without a stamp. It's the only one I own or recall even seeing. So did you buy it?

Yeah. I think it's made before Westside was sold to Lat/DD because it has Suomi tooling.

Stag Love

Currently bagging 5 stags. Four VIP stags from brand new to 5ish years old and a tournament dyemax. The brand new VIP's are the flippiest and the two older VIP's are neutral with a nice fade to finish. The tournament dyemax is very OS - my VIP Ice bears are less OS than the dyemax. Pretty much my workhorse and most thrown disc.

My wife bags Stags. She has a small stack in most of the plastics- VIP, VIP-X, hybrid, chameleon, etc.

They're fun to throw but they overlap enough with my Escapes that I can't justify bagging them.

Currently bagging 5 stags. Four VIP stags from brand new to 5ish years old and a tournament dyemax. The brand new VIP's are the flippiest and the two older VIP's are neutral with a nice fade to finish. The tournament dyemax is very OS - my VIP Ice bears are less OS than the dyemax. Pretty much my workhorse and most thrown disc.

My DyeMax Tourney Stag is noticeably more OS than my VIP Chameleon Stag. I thought i was the only one. LOL

Unfortunately, the same did not hold true for the DyeMax Tourney River I bought. Out of the box, it's similar to my seasoned VIP River.

I just picked up a stag for the first time and it's sweet. I bought volts originally because I wanted something with decent glide that had a baby turn with a nice fade but so many volts are coming out very HSS with little to no turn. Some of the Bendy Volts were basically 8 5 0 3. SO I still like volts because I can really rip on them and as long as there is not a strong head wind they will go dead straight.

But that still left me wanting something that was really glidey and had a nice little turn to it before fading. I have only played one round and am still getting a feel for it but the stag has done a great job filling this role. I still can't believe how much this disc stays in the air. It made some 350-370 throws a lot easier for me.