• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Tell me about your Underworld...

I had the same experience. My white pearl tournament plastic Underworld (173g) is a slow tracking right with no fade machine if I throw on an 8 o'clock hyzer from a standstill that gives me 260 - 280 ft. If I lean into it it flips over into the ground with the same amount of hyzer and the same low release. I experimented with getting a little more height, but I couldn't find the sweet spot, instead just rolling it or flying a kite. I see it as a very useful utility disc, an opposite number to my Demon...
Hmmm, Underworld and Demon. Just sayin'.

Finally an honest reviewer in distance! LOL :popcorn:

Just got one 170 gr in VIP. I can definitely see the usefulness in this disc. it flips up nicely and fades out with light power. With a bit more snap, pulls well to the right out of the hyzer, but does fade back at the end. I'll try it out on the course today on a few holes that need that left to right or low, straight flight. I just have to remind myself not to put too much force behind it.

Beat River sums this up. It turns a tick even on bad throws. Unless you have a perfectly seasoned flippy River, I see reason to have both in the bag. I know I will.

And, this thing glides and glides. I've never thrown a river, but this really just sails along.

Well, out of all three Westside releases, this was easily the one I least wanted to try out. I got an Underworld in DD's Factory Second deal. Let me just say...wow....

I am extremely happy with how this discs flies. I got a 173g VIP Underworld and it does more than I ever expected. Have an even release....it glides for days on a nice turnover shot.

If I put a little bit of a hyzer on it, it straightens out(baby hyzer flip as I'll call it since I have a noodle arm) and goes dead straight for 300ft+. I am very very impressed with the Underworld. After 4 rounds it has kicked the SW out of my bag.

Nice! I came home from a business trip tonight to a 172 VIP Underworld, amongst others, and I'm really looking forward to taking this disc out for the first time tomorrow. Really eager to see how it flies for me.

Nice! I came home from a business trip tonight to a 172 VIP Underworld, amongst others, and I'm really looking forward to taking this disc out for the first time tomorrow. Really eager to see how it flies for me.

I think you'll be impressed. I literally opened up my mystery box and found this gem and said, "Huh...this will make someone happy but it won't find a spot in my bag."

5 hours later, four rounds in....Underworld has taken the SW spot in my bag. Not to compare it to a SW by any means, but for how I throw and the discs I throw...it kicked the SW right out.

Still can't get over how far it went when I put a bit of a hyzer on it....

I think you'll be impressed. I literally opened up my mystery box and found this gem and said, "Huh...this will make someone happy but it won't find a spot in my bag."

5 hours later, four rounds in....Underworld has taken the SW spot in my bag. Not to compare it to a SW by any means, but for how I throw and the discs I throw...it kicked the SW right out.

My thoughts exactly. It goes way farther than you would imagine. And in my mind, I'm thinking, I'm not even throwing it hard. Wonderful disc!

One of my biggest questions is how a heavier VIP will compare to the lighter GL Rivers I've been throwing, which fly straight/slightly US for me with a bit of fade when thrown flat. If the heavy VIP can basically match that flight on a hyzer flip, than it might replace the Rivers for me. The advantage of that is that I'd have a more reliable out of the box turnover driver, which I'm sorely missing right now.

I'm test driving the Stag, too. If I like it, I might try to cover all my shots with a heavy VIP and light Tourney of each mold, with Banshees for crazy windy days.

My thoughts exactly. It goes way farther than you would imagine. And in my mind, I'm thinking, I'm not even throwing it hard. Wonderful disc!

I slowed down my normal throw to ensure I had a hyzer release. 350ft hole through the woods and d&*@ if I didn;t put it within 30ft of the pin. That right there sold me...

It just kept going...

One of my biggest questions is how a heavier VIP will compare to the lighter GL Rivers I've been throwing, which fly straight/slightly US for me with a bit of fade when thrown flat. If the heavy VIP can basically match that flight on a hyzer flip, than it might replace the Rivers for me. The advantage of that is that I'd have a more reliable out of the box turnover driver, which I'm sorely missing right now.

Wish I could speak to this more. I have a 169g and a 171g GL River. For me, I'm having trouble with the nose sensitivity on these discs.

I'm definitely not putting any blame on the Rivers though. I've been dealing with cold weather and icy teepads which has been affecting my form. Off the pads...River is a no-go for now.

A guy I play with has been parking 260-275 ft anhyzer holes throwing it flat and letting the disc work. It definitely likes to thrown smooth. Kinda like a longer faster fuse.

175 Tournament Underworld was easy to throw in the bag in place of my 170 flat GL River. Flies similar enough to not need both. River might go back, but I will use the Underworld for a while and see how it does.

Nice! Thanks for the feedback, Jimbo and Sparty. T-minus 12 hours until I take her out for a spin and see for myself.

Right! Here's my review after day 1 with the Underworld. For reference, I drive 275'-300', and max out at 325' or so. Not a big arm by any means, but I'm learning!

What I threw and how long I threw it

I have a 172 VIP and a 168 Tournament. I spent a lot of time with the VIP today: played a round, and also spent a good bit of time throwing it in the field. I picked up the Tourney from a local disc seller towards the end of my afternoon out there, so I didn't spend nearly as much time with it, but I did throw it enough to feel I got a good sense of how it compares to the VIP.

172 VIP

I love the VIP; it's exactly what I hoped it would be. It's a notch more understable than even the mid-160s GL Rivers I've thrown, but it's not what I would call flippy by any means. Thrown smooth with just a bit of hyzer, it flips flat, actually turning less than I expected, and finishes with a tiny fade. It responds to annys amazingly well: just a tiny anny angle gets it turning, with a small fight back to the left at the end that's enough to keep it from rolling but doesn't undo the left-to-right flight. It holds deeper hyzers amazingly well. I think the disc I've thrown that it compares to the best is a DX Leopard, but I prefer the feel of the Underworld more, and the Underworld is way glidier.

I have nose angle issues, and this puppy is definitely sensitive to those, but not colossally so. It will be good for my form. When I did throw it "perfectly", it flew straight for days. Definitely glidier than a River for me, and I got what were my longest drives ever with this disc. I'm totally sold.

It was moderately windy this afternoon, and the VIP handled itself better than I expected, even holding an anny without faltering while flying directly into the wind at one point. This disc is versatile enough to handle all of my stable to understable duties if I want it to: definitely wouldn't need anything between it and a Banshee/Eagle/Teebird/Stag/etc, in my eyes, although I do admittedly tend towards keeping things simple.

168 Tournament

The Tourney is definitely a different animal. It's the first driver I've ever thrown that truly seems "flippy" to me out of the box, and it's a lot more finicky than the VIP. I can see why those who have thrown Tourneys have been turned off, and I would urge them to try a heavier VIP before they make up their minds about the mold.

I'm still going to spend some more time with the Tourney to see if it can't be dialed in, but my initial instinct is that it won't really be worth the amount of effort that would seem to require. Onemoremile described it initially as a butcher rather than a surgeon earlier in this thread, and I had a similar feeling. Not sure if I need a disc this understable when the VIP seems perfect.

TL;DR

The lighter Tourney truly deserves to be called flippy; it's much more finicky than the heavier VIP. The heavier VIP is a notch more US than Rivers, glides a bit better, and has comparable nose angle sensitivity. Heavier VIP is preeminently shapeable, turns on request, and even handles a light wind well. If you're worried about this thing being too flippy, go with a 170+ VIP.

- - -

It was well worth the wait! And it's now in the bag. Expect to see a few Rivers up for trade in the MP soon. Way to go, Westside. :D

Last edited:
Right! Here's my review after day 1 with the Underworld. For reference, I drive 275'-300', and max out at 325' or so. Not a big arm by any means, but I'm learning!

What I threw and how long I threw it

I have a 172 VIP and a 168 Tournament. I spent a lot of time with the VIP today: played a round, and also spent a good bit of time throwing it in the field. I picked up the Tourney from a local disc seller towards the end of my afternoon out there, so I didn't spend nearly as much time with it, but I did throw it enough to feel I got a good sense of how it compares to the VIP.

172 VIP

I love the VIP; it's exactly what I hoped it would be. It's a notch more understable than even the mid-160s GL Rivers I've thrown, but it's not what I would call flippy by any means. Thrown smooth with just a bit of hyzer, it flips flat, actually turning less than I expected, and finishes with a tiny fade. It responds to annys amazingly well: just a tiny anny angle gets it turning, with a small fight back to the left at the end that's enough to keep it from rolling but doesn't undo the left-to-right flight. It holds deeper hyzers amazingly well. I think the disc I've thrown that it compares to the best is a DX Leopard, but I prefer the feel of the Underworld more, and the Underworld is way glidier.

I have nose angle issues, and this puppy is definitely sensitive to those, but not colossally so. It will be good for my form. When I did throw it "perfectly", it flew straight for days. Definitely glidier than a River for me, and I got what were my longest drives ever with this disc. I'm totally sold.

It was moderately windy this afternoon, and the VIP handled itself better than I expected, even holding an anny without faltering while flying directly into the wind at one point. This disc is versatile enough to handle all of my stable to understable duties if I want it to: definitely wouldn't need anything between it and a Banshee/Eagle/Teebird/Stag/etc, in my eyes, although I do admittedly tend towards keeping things simple.

168 Tournament

The Tourney is definitely a different animal. It's the first driver I've ever thrown that truly seems "flippy" to me out of the box, and it's a lot more finicky than the VIP. I can see why those who have thrown Tourneys have been turned off, and I would urge them to try a heavier VIP before they make up their minds about the mold.

I'm still going to spend some more time with the Tourney to see if it can't be dialed in, but my initial instinct is that it won't really be worth the amount of effort that would seem to require. Onemoremile described it initially as a butcher rather than a surgeon earlier in this thread, and I had a similar feeling. Not sure if I need a disc this understable when the VIP seems perfect.

TL;DR

The lighter Tourney is much more finicky than the heavier VIP. The heavier VIP is a notch more US than Rivers, glides a bit better, and has comparable nose angle sensitivity. Heavier VIP is preeminently shapeable, turns on request, and even handles a light wind well. If you're worried about this thing being too flippy, go with a 170+ VIP.

- - -

It was well worth the wait! And in the bag. Expect to see a few Rivers up for trade in the MP soon. Way to go, Westside. :D

Great review!! :hfive: I purchased the VIP anticipating that it might need that small bit of stability. It's fantastic in VIP. I have a 170. and may try to snag one a few grams higher to go with it. Loving this disc right now

Great review!! :hfive: I purchased the VIP anticipating that it might need that small bit of stability. It's fantastic in VIP. I have a 170. and may try to snag one a few grams higher to go with it. Loving this disc right now

Thanks! I was really excited to try out this disc. :D

I'd grabbed the VIP for the same reason you did, and I share your sentiment. I'm almost wondering if I should just try and find a few other VIPs across the weight spectrum, rather than using the Tourneys for different shots/circumstances. I'd like to see how a 177 and a 163 VIP fly.

It's interesting you say that...my TP 167g is no flippier than my low 160s River. I threw them side-by-side and, though they felt vastly different in the hand, had more or less the same flight.

Whoops...pressed submit before I finished my statement:

as far as understable goes, they both have a massive amount of turn. Even on hyzer, they would still finish to the right of my release point. But on steep hyzer, the Underworld held the line, and my River actually fought out of it. My River is in Gold Line, by the way.

In the Sidewinder comparison thread, I said that "the adjective 'flippy' doesn't even begin to describe the Underworld" but I may have said that in haste. My first throws with it were OATalicious, and that was me, not the disc (I still think my Underworld and River are both more understable than the Sidewinders I've thrown, but they are of lighter weight). I don't know why I was trying to crank on this thing like it was like an Ape or something...it definetly favors a slower, smoother release. Like the old saying: "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast"

One thing I did not have trouble with, however, was nose-angle issues. I had problems with the River when I first got it (and why it's no longer in the bag) but maybe throwing that fixed it? I tend to doubt that...I pretty much suck at this game, so I would have to say my Underworld is less nose-angle sensitive than my River. Even today I had two botched throws with the River that were directly related to my screwing up the nose of the disc.

But one thing we can all agree on is the nasty glide on this thing. In a good tailwind I can see myself blwoing past my distance drivers with this...it just keeps going. I threw the Underworld as it was starting to get dark and lost it in a streetlight...i thought I may have roofed it until it hit the ground...nearly 10 seconds later and an easy 30-40 feet farther than I was looking, and I thought I was being a bit generous on my spot.

Good to get another perspective in here.

I would agree that the Underworld is not as nose angle sensitive as the River. Like I said, I have those issues in general, so perhaps that was just my general tendencies showing and was not specific to the Underworld. I did find it more sensitive than some other discs I've thrown, but that could be more archer than arrow.

I'm surprised to hear both molds turn the same for you, because that's definitely not the case for me: the Rivers I've thrown (a bunch in GL and TM) are clearly more stable, more resistant to turn, and fight against annys more. In my hand, they're pretty different discs. But, who knows why that is?

Latest posts