• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tennis shoes okay for golf?

adrienne2212

I'm going golfing in the morning, haven't been in a while, but I hear tennis shoes aren't the best for golfing, they say strictly golf shoes, because tennis shoes can mess up your game.
Will it really mess up my game all that much?

I don't like super thick soles like tennis shoes and basketball shoes have because you can roll an ankle more easily, but honestly it's not a giant deal breaker.

I've played barefoot, in dress shoes and about any other kind of shoes I own and as long as your cognizant of what could happen you can make it work.

Yep, what Moose said. You can wear anything as long as you know the shoes' limitations, and play accordingly.

Edit: ^That too. :)

I'm going golfing in the morning, haven't been in a while, but I hear tennis shoes aren't the best for golfing, they say strictly golf shoes, because tennis shoes can mess up your game.
Will it really mess up my game all that much?

Why do I have the feeling you're not asking about disc golf?

Disc golf can be played in just about any type of footwear. I've never heard the suggestion that the type of shoe you wear can mess up your game. Unless you're talking about potential slipping and falling due to slick surfaces...that could mess up your whole body, let alone your game.

If you are talking about disc golf wear what you want. I prefer something with grippy soles (think work/hiking boots) if it is wooded or hilly so I don't slip and fall but any shoe will work pretty much anywhere

My cousin plays in the open division with Jordans. I don't know how he does it but for him it works. Play in whatever you're must comfortable in.

Your comfort over others is most important. my 2 cents... I find that a pair of legit tennis shoes actually work pretty well, something like adidas Barricade line, and give a lot of lateral stability which is what they are designed for. This was echoed on another thread somewhere too. For me it feels very secure through an x-step, brace and heel pivot. Versus when I play in something lighter like astro turf soccer shoes or lighter shoes I feel like I can feel the whole sole flexing under me and it doesn't feel very stable at all. The big downside to a shoe like that is it doesn't do well in mud or wet as the tread is very shallow.
I tried a pair of Asics trail running shoes which were a bust for me but that was down to design of the shoe more than style. The tread was a segmented design and I ended up with pieces of the sole coming off where I planted and pivoted on my heel.

I recently bought some "disc golf shoes" (do those even exist?) but I miss my old trail runners. As long as they're decently comfortable, provide some support for getting around on rough terrain, and have soles have decent grip, it's hard to go wrong.

Feels a lot like a troll thread, but I just couldn't resist!

Tennis Shoes, as in for the sport of tennis, would work fine, as they are build to resist side to side movement on the court, and dragging the foot. However, they aren't water repellant, so that's a flaw.

Tennis shoes aren't bad as long as the teepads aren't wet. Just make sure they have the grip you need. Slipping on the tee could get you hurt.

Tennis shoes might actually be ideal on a warm dry day. But if there is any moisture in the grass or tees at all, you're gonna eat ****.

They work, that's what I use, but they get beat to crap if you sidearm and drag your toe. Winter boots work if you're in swampy conditions.