• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Texas State Championship

Richspor,

The straddle is new. It's because he damaged his back last year in a fall. His putting has improved since the injury and the change in style, but it isn't where it was.

I liked the ties being split by last name. I hope more TDs use different methods. It was cool to see Eric Oakley. His form is interesting.

Just jumping in here but two things I'd like to comment.
1. Really cool to see will make the lead card. I don't know how much that will happen in future big events but I'm really rooting for the guy and hope that this tournament can kickstart him to a comeback season.

2. Has mcbeth gained a good deal of weight? I'm a huge fan of paul and I don't mean to be harsh or mean with this comment, but he looks noticeably bigger than he did last year, especially in the final round of the Texas States. Possible offseason move for more power, or just a deal where he's gained weight?

On that hole, the barbed wire fence on the right is ob. Apparently you get 2 meters from a hazardous line, and if you were in between the wall and the barbed wire fence, that 2 meters would put you on top of the wall. And I assume that Sundays rounds wouldn't affect Fridays ratings because the conditions were way different. Friday there was virtually no wind, it was its typical 15-20 on Sunday.

Can you cite that 2 meter rule have never heard it?

Last edited:
A special course relief rule not specifically in PDGA rule book where TDs allow up to 2 meters from hazardous things like barbed wire fences or cactus.

Has mcbeth gained a good deal of weight? I'm a huge fan of paul and I don't mean to be harsh or mean with this comment, but he looks noticeably bigger than he did last year, especially in the final round of the Texas States. Possible offseason move for more power, or just a deal where he's gained weight?

I noticed this too. I'm guessing it's a weight training thing. I'm sure he's stronger. But I'm getting a Tiger Woods vibe here. Not sure it's for the best. He, like Tiger, has dealt with injuries and has a high-torque movement.

Anyone know what the pink putter Paul threw on hole 4 of the final round? His P2's have been darker in color in other tourney vids and it's not a Nova. Maybe an Aviar3?

On that hole, the barbed wire fence on the right is ob. Apparently you get 2 meters from a hazardous line, and if you were in between the wall and the barbed wire fence, that 2 meters would put you on top of the wall. And I assume that Sundays rounds wouldn't affect Fridays ratings because the conditions were way different. Friday there was virtually no wind, it was its typical 15-20 on Sunday.

If that is true then the players didn't know it. The first round coverage shows Koling and Cumpton going off the right side of the wall and then putting from below the wall. They talk about it in the commentary.

Anyone know what the pink putter Paul threw on hole 4 of the final round? His P2's have been darker in color in other tourney vids and it's not a Nova. Maybe an Aviar3?
I know he threw a pink Aviar3 one one of the final round back 9, just watched it but already forget the hole.
If that is true then the players didn't know it. The first round coverage shows Koling and Cumpton going off the right side of the wall and then putting from below the wall. They talk about it in the commentary.
They made reference to the 2m relief in the commentary of the final round. Though they could have learned about it sometime after the first/second rounds.

Paige was in the same spot in the final round and took a four on that hole.

The two meter relief from the barbed wire was added after the first round.
It's a brand new course and we're still getting used to it and to what the rules and OB needs to be for tournaments.

The two meter relief from the barbed wire was added after the first round.
It's a brand new course and we're still getting used to it and to what the rules and OB needs to be for tournaments.

Just an FYI, when the ams played day 2, the TD met with each card prior to tee off. I'm guessing he gave instructions on changes at that time.

When we teed off on Sunday the guy starting us told us about it. I wasn't sure if it was a general rule or something specific for this situation. Maybe it was mentioned at the players meeting Thursday night. I kind of doubt many people attended.

When we teed off on Sunday the guy starting us told us about it. I wasn't sure if it was a general rule or something specific for this situation. Maybe it was mentioned at the players meeting Thursday night. I kind of doubt many people attended.

He did not mention it during the player's meeting and never mentioned it before our first round at EG, but did before our second round on Sunday. It sucks that it wasn't a rule that was widely known from the beginning. As we saw from the video from the first round, it screwed up a few people's hole.