• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thanks for the Crack

I don't know about anyone else here, but I threw until my arm was sore for about 2 weeks straight. I played and then went to the field and threw hard until I could not take it anymore. At the end of 2 weeks, it stopped hurting all together and now it rarely ever gets sore at all.

Welcome to the best sport know to man! When I first started competing I noticed that it took a few days to recover. I work in the medical field so I decided to run some tests on myself to see what helped. Advil is your friend for long days of throwing. Also make sure you stretch.... your rotator cuff is delicate. I tore mine about 2 years ago at work so I do have to be carefull. If you throw a little bit every day, not to the point that you hurt, just enough to excersize, that will make a big difference. Get a heating pad, or better yet, thermacare makes heat wraps that go on the shoulder and give a good, deep heat for about 6-8 hours and they can be worn all day under your clothing. I have found that if you have a target store in your area, there is a target brand that is half the price and seems to work even better. Good luck with it but make sure you don't give up!

Welcome to the best sport know to man! When I first started competing I noticed that it took a few days to recover. I work in the medical field so I decided to run some tests on myself to see what helped. Advil is your friend for long days of throwing. Also make sure you stretch.... your rotator cuff is delicate. I tore mine about 2 years ago at work so I do have to be carefull. If you throw a little bit every day, not to the point that you hurt, just enough to excersize, that will make a big difference. Get a heating pad, or better yet, thermacare makes heat wraps that go on the shoulder and give a good, deep heat for about 6-8 hours and they can be worn all day under your clothing. I have found that if you have a target store in your area, there is a target brand that is half the price and seems to work even better. Good luck with it but make sure you don't give up!

Because I am a smart fellow, I only played 36 holes today...after I get done icing this sucker I'm on the the thermapad...thanks to everybody and if you see my wife and family tell them I looked okay for a junkie!

Z

I can see that its already too late for you. Its kinda like Invasion of the Body Snatchers where once you submit, your doppleganger takes over and you are reborn as a minion of the disc gods. Poor SOB...

Seriously, welcome to the party!

I'm coming up on 2 years this April...I'll play as much as I can. I find myself leaving work early to disc, and the DG dreams make the nights fly by. Sure beats the video game addiction I used to have. Summer can't come soon enough, then we can disc until 10pm...hooray

Daylight Savings Time starts Sunday March 8. Counting today, that is 53 days and approximately 8.5 hours from now. I started the countdown Tuesday.

Daylight Savings Time starts Sunday March 8. Counting today, that is 53 days and approximately 8.5 hours from now. I started the countdown Tuesday.

I've found that I can get back to playing a round after work in mid-February. My countdown is at 32 days. Until then, there's always weekends!

DUDE! MN just set a new temperature (sp?) record. Didn't get like -45 there man? I make it apoint to visit Alexandria MN every year, but not in cold like that! Keep throwing.:)

It has been -5/-20 where I live all week... :( Haven't thrown since Monday afternoon... Hopefully tomorrow it will be warn enough to get out in the afternoon!!!

Great thread - like many others have said, it reminds me of my first days in the sport. I continue to struggle with a sore shoulder muscle - it hurts almost all the time. I haven't taken the step of switching throwing arms, but I've tried everything else. Like Donovan, it actually feels better after I throw a round. I'm wondering if its psychosomatic - like withdrawal :)

Keep throwin'!

well i%m new as well...32 yrs old and live about 200 yards from
a 9 hole course here in Texas. The course is located in a family
park and i would take my 5 yr old son to play at the park and
always see these guys playing this game. Well one day my son asked
me what those guys were doing and i told him they were playing
some game where they throw a disc into this chain catcher...he
tells me he wants to play. I go to Wally World and pick up a 3
pack of discs. We go and have a blast. Just me and him. That was
Jan. 5th and I%ve played everyday since then. Seriously every day.
And yes i went to Play It Again Sports and bought 7-8 discs a
nd have been throwing them and figuring out what they do. I dont
have a bag, just use a back pack right now but am looking at bags
as we speak. I have a total of 11 discs. 3 which are my sons
and he swears by them. I have days off during the week so I've
been able to go to the course during the day and throw, throw, throw.
I've played at 3 courses in the area, but this has come an
addiction to me and my family and actually is helping me with
other things in life. Keeps me excercised and keeps me off the poker
table. What a great game. Its so awesome to hear my son ask me
everyday after school ;Disc golf today?; I%ve met many great
people on the couse and they have given me some many tips, along
with the stuff i read and watch on here.

Good Times

I'm pretty sure that you aren't official around here until you've upgraded your bag and traded away all of your original discs AND traded somebody to get some of the models back!

I'm about to get a Nutsac for my birthday from my family...because, you know, it's just more better!

Z

I can't play today so I've eaten 14 bowls of cereal, my head itches, and I broke a dinner plate when it slipped from my hand while I was putting it away RHBH.

help.....

Good Times

I used to take my kids out when they were little. I remember playing rounds when after they got tired, it was throw, pick up my son/daughter, walk to my disc, repeat process. Almost like the joke about the guy dying and then its throw, drag Joe, throw, drag Joe.
Then as my son got into elementary school, for some of his birthday parties, he wanted to take his friends discing. They got the bug.
Then when he and his buddies reached their teens, we were all very evenly matched and had some epic matches and awesome disc golfing road trips.

Now my son is 22 and outdrives me by about 100 feet. Now we argue about how many strokes he has to spot me. I usally ask for about 10 depending on the courses, he usually starts by offering about 4. We meet somewhere in the middle. But it's awesome playing with your son.

Every time I see a painting of some nature trail or path I find myself looking for a basket at the end and contemplating what line I would take to get there.

Good Times

Truly awesome, man.

I bought 2 discs for me and 2 for my wife (We both had a Valkyrie and a Shark) so that we could break up our long drive on the way to Florida (left Milwaukee 12/31). I researched some places that were near the Interstate and around when we would be stopping for lunch. We stopped in Elizabethtown KY and were dismayed when there were Stop signs hanging from chains across the park entrance. Fortunately I was smart enough to print out a flyer from Freeman Lake Park and we called the phone # and they said we could go on the course we just had to park by a Target and walk into the middle of the course (#5 I think). We were told not to play the whole course because of the Christmas in the park because there were lighting displays and other assorted Christmas things all over. We were able to work around them all however and ply the entire 18 holes. I was hooked immediately.

So we got to Fort Myers FL where my parents stay 6 months of the year. I had 6 days of ball golf all lined up with my dad, so I would play golf in the morning and then off to disc golf in the afternoon. I played 4 rounds at 3 courses over those days. We left FL and I had already lined up a round in Gainesville at Northside Park, where I saw some people discussing on this site. I was glad we went there, it was a great course, especially because it wasn't so wooded that my wife struggled. Then we spent the night in Chattanooga TN. I planned on getting up early to play some disc golf before we left for Milwaukee. The snow storm in Chicago last saturday was coming through at the wrong time, so I was able to play 2 courses there (2 times each) (The Sinks and Shepherd Rec. Center). Oh and yes it was raining pretty good for each of these but I wasn't going to walk away from the courses that morning. So we left Chattanooga and planned to stop in Bowling Green KY to play 2 more courses (Kereiakes and Lovers Lane). It was raining too hard when we got there and I wasn't going to make my wife wait in the car while I played so I had to bypass 2 more rounds. Because I was left so disappointed and unsatisfied when we did get back to Milwaukee, I headed out the next day to Dretzka park to play the 24 hole winter course. I went back again today, but only had time for some practice so I played 9 holes and did some practice throwing. Both days in Milwaukee it was 25 degrees or less and snowing. So am I addicted?????? YOU BETCHA! I',m going out tomorrow again (25 degrees and more snow predicted, along with the 2 inches we got today). How am I supposed to make it to spring???

You will only be stronger for the practice. I love when it gets warm and that old distance returns, though I do have to retweak my throws.:rolleyes: Awesome story!

I have a name for Kereiakes and Lovers Lane now . . . . . .DISC TEASE! (since was unable to stop and play there).

I hope to play those courses on my way to the Robert Trent Jones Trail (for ball golf) February 23rd with my two high school buddies.

I left my discs in the car over the weekend, and my car is in the shop. The rental car didn't come with discs. Should I go out and buy some new ones just so I can play this afternoon? Or should I just take my dog for a walk somewhere other than the course. Hmm...

But I'm surprised that some of you are having shoulder problems. My shoulder is fine; it's my elbow that gets sore if I throw too much or too hard.

Good Times
Great story. You must live next to Bill Allen. I love that little course and try to play there when I am in the area.

I just had ACL replacement surgery on Jan. 8, and I played my first round since then yesterday. It was hard to even wait until then. Luckily, I learned to throw a pretty good flick, cuz as you can imagine I can't twist my body much. I'm hoping to re-develop a backhand once I get better, and thus have both shots. I'm considering lefty too...

Kerplunk! No! Take care of your knee! Buy that dg video game. You're going to tear out the replacement. You REALLY don't want to do that. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: