• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The 25th Annual Memorial Championship

And what level of influence does a 2 stroke swing for Schusterick have on McBeths rating?

With the large number of propagators for the event, a two-throw difference in round score from one propagator will have a very very tiny effect on the ratings of the rest of the field.. probably it wouldn't budge ratings overall by more than a point.

From Holly Finley's post about the happenings today:

Cale Leiviska: Paul McBeth tried to get two different competitors penalized this week for things that were not illegal. That is class!

Hmmmm

That eric fella is funny.

And by funny, i mean retarded.

Ratings shmatings.

Paul McBeth threw a 2, 15 times in one round, on a course that is not easy. 15 times he drove, and sank the putt. 5 of the holes he deuced are 400ft or more. 6 more are over 370. And oh yea, by the way, he "only" got a three on holes that are 570 and 703 feet long that both play right on the water.

And he wasn't the winner! Congrats again to Will for showing poise after the debacle, and parking that last drive for the win. Amazing.

Not to pull this thread completely off tracks, but care to explain why it matters (in relation to adjustment) whether someone threw 40 or not?
And what is it exactly that causes an adjustment, compared to the temporary numbers?
And what level of influence does a 2 stroke swing for Schusterick have on McBeths rating?
- It's just that a 40 would have rated close to the old record of 1117. Otherwise, it doesn't impact Paul's rating directly.
- We have to decide whether to use the SSA for round 2 or today's SSA for the official ratings because it was a reduced field size. The ratings are based on a random sample of players producing the SSA. A semi field where there's a cut automatically is a select group of players already known to be playing the course well. So it abnormally depresses the SSA. You can see the 1000 rated round is about 1.5 shots lower than Thursday with essentially the same good weather. If we use the Thursday SSA, Paul's official rating could get close to 1040 (in time for tax season.)
- A 2-shot penalty with 109 players increases the SSA 0.02 which is about 0.2 rating points. A 10-shot penalty would have boosted the ratings by 1 point.

so whats the full scoop on this scorecard blunder?
What kind of scoop could there be. Will didn't write his total score down before the card was turned in. A scorecard that isn't totaled is penalized two strokes per rule 805.02 H.

2. If it is determined that the total score was incorrectly recorded, either by an error on a hole score or by an error in totaling the hole scores, including omission of the total score, the director shall add two penalty throws to the correct total score. These penalty throws are not added when the Director corrects a player's score for other infractions determined after the player had turned in an otherwise correct scorecard.

What kind of scoop could there be. Will didn't write his total score down before the card was turned in. A scorecard that isn't totaled is penalized two strokes per rule 805.02 H.

I understand this rule, but at the same time i feel like it's a little excessive! I think you should receive a penalty but, 2 strokes, come on! I could see 1 stroke!

yes its all so obvious. great talking with you.

From Holly Finley's post about the happenings today:

Cale Leiviska: Paul McBeth tried to get two different competitors penalized this week for things that were not illegal. That is class!

Hmmmm

Im calling bs. If disc overweight then i give that a pass, but say something like that then follow it up with some vague follow up im not ready to call out Paul as a crybaby or whiner.

Yeah, just a rookie mistake from a pro. It happens in ball golf too. He got pretty worked up after he sunk the last putt and got swarmed by Prodigy members. Although with GG and Wysocki on the card with him, you'd think one of them would've had his back enough to notice. Unless these events have players with individual cards and not all four on one card.

In ball golf, you do not have to total the card, just make sure every hole score is correct. An incorrect score on a hole that's lower than the right number is a DQ. If you enter hole score higher than the real number, you just keep that score. The tournament staff is responsible for adding up the scores.

did they give him a chance to total it? or did he just forget and say i'm good..

Doesn't really matter. Scorecard is his responsibility, no one else's. It's a dumb mistake, but guaranteed one he'll only ever make once.

I wonder if the DGTV folks ushered him over to the booth to talk and he forgot to add it up?

I wonder if the DGTV folks ushered him over to the booth to talk and he forgot to add it up?

There was a good 5 minutes, minimum, between his sinking the putt and his interview with Crazy and Dave. They interviewed McBeth first. I don't think DGP can be blamed. If that's his excuse, the mistake is still on Will.

And apparently, each player had their own scorecard. It was not one card for the whole group.

That is what it looked like to me. Still on him though.

The only innova plastic he had was a champ fb and viper.

805.02 Scoring

F. At the end of the round, each player shall sign the scorecard to attest to the accuracy of the score on each hole as well as the total score. If all players of the group agree that a hole score was recorded in error, the score may be changed prior to the scorecard being turned in. Players whose scorecards are turned in unsigned accept responsibility for the scores recorded.

Did Will sign off on the scorecard? If so, he really can't blame anyone else for the error.. also, personally I'd like to see a slight rule change: a scorecard submitted before the 30 minute limit will not be processed until the 30 minute mark if it hasn't been signed by all players. That way, it won't be late (and thus not assessed the -2 stroke penalty for all players on the card), but won't be accepted potentially prematurely either.

Latest posts