• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

Is the ghost low profile and large diameter?

Does the Cryztal break in faster for real?

Hey Comet crew, what the most stable/os FLAT Comet? Ledgestone TI? Cryztal? I'm paring up a straight/stable 177+ ESP and a beat/turnover 177+ Glo with a 176 San Marino Q Sentinel and loving it. All board flat. All long and shallow for mids. But there's a gap there that could use a slightly OS Comet. Or just a comet with some fade to its finish.

But it has to be flat. Truly flat. So what's the deal?

I would probably just use a Buzzz for those shots. It's easy to find a flat one and something like an FLX would fly almost dead straight right out of the box.

Um. Thanks.
But I don't want a buzz. I want a glidey large diameter torque sensitive long mid. Not a flat top Roc.
I get your point, but I don't want another flat fast neutral Roc.

Asking for a slightly overstable Comet is like asking for a slightly understable FireBird.
Well...not exactly like that, but my point is:
Comets have Neutral stability.
It's their bread&butter. Neutral stability. Granted, some are more stable than others, but all are basically neutral.
Their are lots of discs that fit that slightly overstable mid-range bill, but if you're throwing over ~200', a Comet is going to fly neutral.

Yes, I do. I throw my flat ESP to 300. I don't need more than that. I need consistent feel.
But I'd look at a mild some if it came with added stability and/or LSF.

Domey Comets are more stable. This holds true for ESP and Z. Haven't seen a domey X comet yet.

Current production ESP and CryZtal Comets are flat and more on the understable side. If you can find domey ESP comets (like 3rd run LE) or domey Z Comets they will be noticeably more HSS.

Asking for a slightly overstable Comet is like asking for a slightly understable FireBird.
Well...not exactly like that, but my point is:
Comets have Neutral stability.
It's their bread&butter. Neutral stability. Granted, some are more stable than others, but all are basically neutral.
Their are lots of discs that fit that slightly overstable mid-range bill, but if you're throwing over ~200', a Comet is going to fly neutral.

I get what a Comet is and isn't.

But there are Comets that finish right with a tailing turn (like my beat Glo), and Comets that fly neutral and will even fade-finish if thrown with less than 80% power (like my flat ESP). If I wanted an overstable disc, I'd carry any number of great overstable discs in that spot. My point is that Comets pair well with my beloved San Marino Q Sentinels in feel and distance (slightly longer than my Rocs, and I use them for different purposes). A Sanny Sentinel can take YEARS to beat in. In the meantime, I just wanted to know which Comet would finish with a little bit of LSF that I can count on to sit in the gap between true dead-straight neutral and the massive hook of a Sentinel.

Thank you to those that answered, or tried to shed some light on, that question. I'll find a domey Ti or Z.

sounds like you want a san marino roc, or if you can drop the bead, a X or ESP buzz even...remember the comet was based off the roc mold...Ontario I think. MJ probably knows best, but high shoulder Z or ESP are going to go straight and fade a little.

If you love the q-sent and like that thin beaded rim you probably would like the cobra from innova

Last edited:
Hey MJ,

Domey Ledgestone Ti Comets about as stable/overstable as they come? Is that going to be my best bet?

Thanks.

The domey Z and 3rd run LE Comets I have a bigger dome than the Ledgestone Ti. Whether they're more stable I don't know. I haven't thrown the Ti yet. I've been meaning to but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe tomorrow if I remember.

does it say somewhere in these 200 pages which comets are in MJ's bag?

Just picked up two Z comets and they are more stable than I expected but definitely staying in the bag.

Hey MJ,

Domey Ledgestone Ti Comets about as stable/overstable as they come? Is that going to be my best bet?

Thanks.

They will be your best bet to be a more stable comet. The other thing you can look for is a domey Z that is stiff. Those have a tendency of being a bit more stable than most

Latest posts