• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The best courses in the SE US?

jamsisjams

Double Eagle Member
Where are they?

What are they called/named?

How do I get there from western North Carolina? Just kidding, I'll mapquest if the rest of the information is provided.

Personally, if I had to recommend some,

Richmond Hill - Asheville, NC
Renaissance Park - Charlotte, NC
Buckhorn at Harris Lake - Raleigh, NC
Cedar Hills - Raleigh, NC
Cliff Stephens - Clearwater, FL
Warrior's Path - Kingsport, TN
Victor Ashe - Knoxville, TN
Glenn C. Hilton - Hickory, NC
Mars Hill College - Mars Hill, NC
Shaver Recreation Center - Seneca, SC

Anyway, what courses would you guys recommend for the southeast?

Namaste

being from PA, I have played only a few courses down that way. Only ones I can say anything about were:

The Sinks in Chatanooga, TN
Lazzare in Monroe, LA
Hideaway Park in Ruston, LA

if you want to know about those, let me know....

ericdmb said:
being from PA, I have played only a few courses down that way. Only ones I can say anything about were:

Lazzare in Monroe, LA

Hellz yeah. Post away, my good man. Summer isn't too far away, and I'm hoping to do some traveling.

Jamsisjams-

My home course is Thomas Triplett in Pooler (Savannah), GA. 3 miles off of 95. Two sets of tees. Awesome. If you choose to man up and play the blues, bring your "A" game.

If you are in the area, let me know.

savannahdiscgolf.com

SB

jamsisjams said:
ericdmb said:

Lazzare in Monroe, LA

Hellz yeah. Post away, my good man. Summer isn't too far away, and I'm hoping to do some traveling.

2 summers ago I went to LA to visit my grandparents and then to Bonnaroo - it was a heck of a trip and I managed to squeeze those 3 courses in in my travels.

The Sinks - Nice course, apparently it is fairly new. All holes were wooded, some playing through natural fairways and many cut into the woods. The course name comes from these huge sink holes all over the course. some are just a foot or two deep and only a foot or two wide - but some required stairs built onto the side of the slope down in order to get in and out of them if your disc went in. Overall, it was a disc golf course and any course is great cause it is a disc golf course, but t here was nothing too special about the course. No sig. hole or anything to write home about. I certainly enjoyed it and if you are passing that way, hit it up.

Lazzare - Great course, loved it a lot! Many long holes with little elevation change, but challanging tree locations. Some holes played in and out of woods while some played with the fear of water (both swamp and the river) One hole played more than 700 feet with the river along the entire fairway on your left. about half way down the fairway there was an inlet/swamp area that crossed the entire width of the fairway. I enjoyed this course and reccommend it.

Hideaway Park - This was in Ruston, LA which is actually where my grandparents live. The course plays on the campus of LA Tech. Great course in a park like setting with trees and some water. Small elevation changes and trees make this a nice course! I actually got an ACE on this course. Had a throw that hit a tree at about the 1/3 point of the hole that hit it way off course - the disc then hit another tree at about the 2/3 point of the hole and it sent it directly into the basket. The great thing was that my cousin who was 17 at the time had never played and never seen disc golf played and this was about the 8th hole of his life and he got to see me hit an ace. With his southern draw and twang he called the ACE a "ringer" and proceeded to ask me to do it again! Anyway, it was a nice course and I really reccommend playing this along with the Lazzare course.

I may be bias but I love the sinks located in Chattanooga, TN. It was where I started playing and was my home course until I moved to New Jersey. The course is not even two years old yet. It has a good layout with two tees and two pin placements on every hole. Playing both tees make it seem like a whole new course. It was cut through some tight woods with dense foliage lining the fairways. Some sink holes can really mess you up, especially if its muddy. The guys down there are constantly making improvements and making C and D pins placements. ericdmb is right, there doesn't seem to be any true signature holes, however it does offer a good challenge.

Also in Chattanooga on top of Lookout Mountain in Cloudland Canyon. It is an open course that always seems to have plenty of wind. Some of the views from Lookout Mountain are awesome, especially in Cloudland Canyon, MUST SEE. You almost want to empty your bag just to see how far you can throw into the canyon. Check out the hiking trails and all the great waterfalls. So if your ever passing through then definitely stop in and check them out.

Chattanooga is about an 1 hour and a half or 2 from Atlanta so you could also check out Redan and the other courses there.

Nashville has a great course called Seven Oaks. It might be a little far but if your going through then check it out. Here is a site with some picks of it and discussion of each hole.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/derusha/index.html

jist313 said:
I may be bias but I love the sinks located in Chattanooga, TN. It was where I started playing and was my home course until I moved to New Jersey. The course is not even two years old yet. It has a good layout with two tees and two pin placements on every hole. Playing both tees make it seem like a whole new course. It was cut through some tight woods with dense foliage lining the fairways. Some sink holes can really mess you up, especially if its muddy. The guys down there are constantly making improvements and making C and D pins placements. ericdmb is right, there doesn't seem to be any true signature holes, however it does offer a good challenge.

Also in Chattanooga on top of Lookout Mountain in Cloudland Canyon. It is an open course that always seems to have plenty of wind. Some of the views from Lookout Mountain are awesome, especially in Cloudland Canyon, MUST SEE. You almost want to empty your bag just to see how far you can throw into the canyon. Check out the hiking trails and all the great waterfalls. So if your ever passing through then definitely stop in and check them out.

Chattanooga is about an 1 hour and a half or 2 from Atlanta so you could also check out Redan and the other courses there.

yea, I didn't have any complaint about the course, it was great to play, just that I might not make a point to go back there to play if I was passing through.

I see you are in princeton. I just moved down to Bensalem, PA to take a job in Princeton. You going to be playing at Tyler?
Alan, do you know when Wed. Tags is supposed to start at Tyler again?

Eric, meet Eric. :D

Eric (jist313) was at the One and Done. He won Intermediate (and beat both of us), not sure if you guys happened to meet.

Tyler summer league on Wednesday nights should be starting the middle of April. (I just looked and it's the 18th to be exact). Details still tentative for this year, but last year we had great success with a flex start time. Anytime between 4 and 6, show up and play. I think it was $2 plus $1 for Ace pot, or something like that, each week.

Back to courses in the SE, I absolutely love Renaissance Park down in Charlotte. I would play the Gold layout every damn day if I could. I'm going to grad school for English literature, and I hope to someday get a job teaching college down at UNC Chalotte or Winthrop U or somewhere near there. Three months off for the summer living in the mecca of disc golf. Ahh...

Also, not sure how SE this is, but Elk Creek DGC in Appomattox, VA is an awesome course. Just heard last night that an Am tourney is being planned for Labor Day weekend there (since the West VA Open went Pro only this year :x ). I'm definitely heading down for that.

I'm not sure this qualifies as southeast US but I played Sanders Ferry park in Hendrsonville, TN yesterday and I love it man. There are some pretty downhill shots and several holes around a lake. One hole requires a 200+ foot shots across the an arm of the lake. It's just a beautiful place to play.

jamsisjams said:
Has anyone played any of the courses around ATL?

I've played Redan and East Roswell. I liked Redan the best out of the two. It's got a good variety of shots and a good mix of open and woods. The ADGO runs two rounds of doubles there every Sunday. It's a great group of guys and some really good players that come out. Highly recommended. East Roswell is fun but I wouldn't want to play there every day. It's tight woods all through. They've got three tees for every hole but they don't really change the holes that much. I don't want to be too negative about it because I do like the course. I haven't played it but I've heard that Central is the long course. ADGO

My favorite course

If you are anywhere near Burlington, NC you have to play the 2 Cedarock Park Courses. I am biased because that is where I first started playing, but I think the 2 courses their are the most fun courses I have played. The course isn't the easiest, but also isn't the most difficult--it is a great happy medium. There is also so much variety considering there are 2 courses in the same location with totally different personalities.

Bart, did you ever play Richmond Hill in Asheville, NC? This course fits---well, it used to--your description perfectly. Most holes were between 250-300' with lots of elevation change while smack dab in the middle of the woods, yet there were even a few open shots.

jist313 said:
Nashville has a great course called Seven Oaks. It might be a little far but if your going through then check it out. Here is a site with some picks of it and discussion of each hole.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/derusha/index.html

I play Seven Oaks twice a week, its a great course. About 15 minutes up the road is Cedar Hill, which is like a longer, tougher Seven Oaks. Probably the best course I've ever played.

From my limited experience this is my 2 cents:

Old Richmond Hill: Asheville, NC RIP
Victor Ashe Park: Knoxville, TN
Glenn C. Hilton: Hickory, NC
Mars Hill College: Mars Hill, NC

I play Black Mountain, NC a lot snce it's 5 minutes from my home, but I wouldn't drive any distance to play it.
Same with the Waynesville, NC courseit's a nice course, but kinda like throwing around in a field.

The Hippodrome in N. Augusta, SC is great in the original layout that was used for Worlds. Almost all the new holes (in the middle nine) are horrible. A few of them have no discernable fairway. A few of them have a fairway that is less than 2 discs wide. One of the new holes is in jump putt distance from the tee! Many of the wooded holes have been inexplicably covered with wood chips mixed with horse shit (no joke). I'm not sure why anyone felt a need to ruin a great course but they did. The original (gold) layout is one of the top courses I've played. The new (blue) layout is not worth the price of admission.

I agree with one of the previous posters. I have played over 55 courses from NY. down to Texas and Cedar Hill in Nashville is the best I have played. It never gets huge recognition on a National Level among the Pros. Not sure why because it is a hard and challenging course. Most difficult in Tennessee. And it has a great variety of shots and terrain.

I think we get KC or Barry Schultz to play it and they will be hooked. They will put it in their top 10 favs , no doubt. :)

P.S. No offense but I keep hearing about how great Richmond Hills is/was !!
Iam sorry to say when I played it a year or so ago , it did not impress me as anything great. Couldnt understand all the hype ?? Just an average run of the mill wooded course. Like dozens I have played before. Nothing memorable. JMHO

You need to go play Cottage Hill in Mobile, AL. Now thats a wooded course if i have ever played one. 8)

The hype about Richmond Hill wasn't necessarily about the course; it was about the people as well. RH was fantastic b/c of its relative proximity (I only live 3 mins away) to the area's talent and rec players. It was rarely crowded (except towards the end) and had a multitude of shots so it was an amazing course to learn on. As I've traveled around the SE my perception of RH has changed, however, it remains my personal favorite course.