• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Blockhouse is Closed

brian j

Double Eagle Member
really sad news here... i know there have been examples of people being disrespectful in the past but i'm trying to find out if something else happened. maybe biscoe will know. :(

from facebook:

The Blockhouse Disc Golf and Country Club regrettably announces that we will be closed until further notice.

During this closure there will be NO DISC GOLF or camping. This includes casual play and organized events (Too Many Days In May, Friday Night Glow, monthlies, etc.). The baskets will be pulled and stored.

As you can imagine a lot of resources and hard work are put into maintaining two professional disc golf courses, a Tiki course and all the amenities that everyone enjoys. However, various happenings over the last few years have incited us to reexamine the current conditions, goals, and expectations of The Blockhouse.

We have been hosting this party selflessly for nearly 20 years - only asking that everyone enjoys themselves and respects one another and all that is The Blockhouse. It has been a wonderful party but the party has begun to grow larger than the current infrastructure can handle and, like all parties, this one must end at some point. It is time to turn on the lights, send everyone home, and clean up a bit.

We realize this place has become a refuge for many of you. It is a place to come relax, laugh, sing, and play with your disc golf family while the outside world rolls along. We love providing such a refuge, however, in order to continue doing so, a much-needed metamorphosis must occur for The Blockhouse to keep on truckin'.

This is by no means the end. It is merely a respite and a chance to attain the dreams we have for The Blockhouse. We will be back and better than ever.

That is a huge loss to the Va disc golf scene, which is limited enough as it is. I really had a blast every time I went there. I hope it re-opens soon. If the BlockHouse guys wander and find this thread, THANKS MIKE!!!!! It has been great. To us, the Blockhouse was an event, not a round or a day of disc golf. We would count the days down like Christmas when it was coming up. Thanks again Mike...........

I keep two sad lists of closed courses; great private courses I'll never get to play again, and great private courses I'll never get to play. Let's hope that last paragraph is prophetic, and Blockhouse can stay off my lists.

I would like to see the list of closed private courses.

Gran Canyon*, Brooksville, FL
My favorite course ever. It has been re-opened, with a completely different configuration, for tournaments each of the last 2 Januaries, earning it an asterisk

Still Waters Farm, Govan, SC
One of my personal Top-5 courses

Sugaree, Linville, NC
On-again, off-again, last I recall Rich had closed it for good and sold or given away the baskets, but then there were rumors of a re-opening.

Stonehenge, Nashville, TN
Played it in AmWorlds 2001. I recently heard rumors that it can again be played, if you have the right connections, but I'm not sure that's true.

Flyboy, Atlanta, GA
Haven't yet played. It was closed indefinitely, but I think it can now be played on a very limited basis

Bracketts Bluff, Charlotte, NC
Was closed for a while due an easement dispute. Since re-opened in a new version, without the disputed land. I've made several plans to visit, but am always thwarted.

Boylan Famly Farms, somewhere in the mountains, NC
Never played. My brother went to play and arrived the week after the baskets were pulled.

Probably more; those are the ones I most lament, that come to mind.

It sounds like it's just a temporary closure and they will come back better.

There were always rumors the courses, namely the sunny side, was not at a calibur for an NT tournament venue. Some holes were a bit gimmicky and rewarded luck more than skill.

I wouldn't be shocked if the owners were creating new holes or redesigning the current.

i would not look for a reopening any time soon. on the other hand i would be shocked if the closing is permanent. this is why we can't have nice things.

If indeed, Mike is looking to revamp the course and facilities, I would be willing to make some time to go down and lend a hand.

If anyone hears anything, please send me a PM.

i would not look for a reopening any time soon. on the other hand i would be shocked if the closing is permanent. this is why we can't have nice things.

We can't have nice things because most of us are 'typical' disc golfers. No explanation needed. You should all onow what I mean. It is sad.

i heard from a pretty reliable source at yesterday's Faux Leap at senceca that blockhouse would be back as a members only course. i hope the news is true.

I love this message board.

There were always rumors the courses, namely the sunny side, was not at a calibur for an NT tournament venue. Some holes were a bit gimmicky and rewarded luck more than skill.

I wouldn't be shocked if the owners were creating new holes or redesigning the current.

Even if that were the case, the venue never hosted anything close to an NT.

I have no inside info on the closing of the course, but I know of many situations brought on by disc golfers that certainly do not help. I don't want to speak for Mike, but these situations would bother any owner:

Thievery...I have heard many stories, and it is sure to occasionally happen with that many people passing through...unacceptable and sad.

Trash...that includes cigarette butts, beer cans, glow light wrappers, etc...Irresponsible people that think their butts are too insignificant to mater...wrong. Glow trash be left everywhere despite my and others' efforts to pick up after the little piggies.

General disrespect for the property...Individuals and group(s)... Just because you (may have) paid a small entrance fee, does not mean someone is there to clean up after you. Leave the screaming at the top of your lungs somewhere else. Try to conduct yourself in a mature manner, and insist that your golfing buddies do the same.

How can you help???...by not being part of the problem, and not allowing your golfing buddies to be part of the problem. A person like Mike, and a place as magical as The Blockhouse just does not come along very often. It is sad that a few bad apples can spoil the whole barrel.

Last edited:
i heard from a pretty reliable source at yesterday's Faux Leap at senceca that blockhouse would be back as a members only course. i hope the news is true.

Would certainly cut down on the "rif-raf". But I hope they also allow non-members to pay and play. A lot of folks see Blockhouse as a destination / must play course as they pass through the area. But the fee should be at least double what it used to be.

Latest posts