• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Chinese for "in the bag" translates to "all the discs I own"

Fat Dragon

Okay, that's not actually true...

Almost nobody plays disc golf in China, basically just a handful of expats who have bought or built their own portable baskets or hang a t-shirt from a tree for a target like me, so any discs that aren't made by Yikun are very difficult to get unless you want to pay international shipping.

I'll be visiting family and hopefully playing a ton of disc golf for six weeks this summer in the States. My disc selection is below. Anything stand out as a disc I could easily leave in China while I'm stateside? Any significant holes I should be looking to fill while I'm in the States or crazy awesome discs I should consider picking up? I throw RHBH and I'm currently trying to break the strongarm habit and start throwing my discs properly, so I'm thinking some fairways, mids, or even glidey putters might be good tools to improve my game.

Drivers

177g Z Stalker - Workhorse. Bit of turn for decent s-curves, but stable enough for flat shots and headwinds. I probably average ~280-300 with this one. I used to consider it my danger zone disc because I felt like I could handle losing it, but now I would be sad to see it go.

148g Blizzard Destroyer - My open distance driver for calm days. I toss it on long S-curves and probably average 330-350, though I'm pretty sure I've pulled it 400 feet on occasion.

173g Dragon Da'E (factory second) - This thing is really fast and ridiculously overstable. Unless I put a ton of anhyzer on it it just dumps and bangs the ground on its edge every time, but it's reliable for ~250 foot high hyzers around obstacles. For big arms this might be a good distance driver, but for my poor technique it's more of a specialty disc.

174g Dragon Jun (factory second) - Like a more stable version of my Stalker in flight - more likely to fly flat early on than pull into an S-curve, then fade out around 280 feet on a typical throw, with probably another 50-70 if I get a great pull.

170g Opto River - Fun with anhyzers! When I learned to toss a decent backhand, I lost any consistency with my once-decent forehand shots. Now this is my anhyzer disc. It's a ton of fun to throw in an open field, but on golf lines I often overdo it and end up climbing into ravines to find this disc.

172g Tiger View - Another Yikun disc I bought as I figure I need to know their plastic if I hope to grow the sport in China. Easy driver to get a good S-curve out of, though I occasionally pull it too hard and it just anhyzers out. On a good S-curve I probably average 320.

Mids

179g Proton Axis
- Just starting to throw mids more often. I get a nice steady anhyzer with this and a fade at the end. My best throw with this was about 330 (walked off 103 paces at around 1 meter each), but I'm more consistently getting about 250 on field tosses with it.

177g Dragon Yao (factory second) As the Jun is to my Stalker, so the Yao is to my Axis. Typically a bit shorter than the Axis and with a bit more stability so it spends less time in anhyzer flight patterns.

Putters

175g KC Pro Aviar
- I historically throw anything within 150 feet with this disc, including putts.

174g Champion Rhyno - I've rarely used this disc in the past, but in some recent field work I realized it's probably more consistent than my aviar for slightly overstable approaches.

166g Tiger Claws - I have yet to do any actual putting with this because I got it in China and haven't seen a basket since, but this tends to go where I throw it, with a smidge of turn and a smidge of fade at the end. If I ever learn to control straight-flying upshots, it could be money in the 150 foot range. Definitely the most frisbee-like disc in my bag.