• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The Daredevil Thread

I had wanted to try a caribou, but for as much as I like the buzzz mold and the mako mold, I didn't want to take a flier on a specialty disc that might feel totally different.
If you're crushing the wolverine to 400', you'll find the merlin is not the overstable driver it looks like it should be. I love the merlin, but my two merlins fly between a crank and a nuke SS in stability.

I can't recommend the woodchuck enough. I gave one to both my dad and my daughter to ease their fear of roll aways. It's been a while since I threw my walrus but I'm considering using it in winter rounds. But if you really want an elastic performance treat, get yourself an ogopogo.

Thanks for the recs, I'll have to add the Ogopogo to my to do list. Im thinking I need to pick up a woodchuck sooner than later given all the hype behind it.

Thanks for the recs, I'll have to add the Ogopogo to my to do list. Im thinking I need to pick up a woodchuck sooner than later given all the hype behind it.

The woodchuck is surprisingly more stable than it appears in numbers or charts. I can rip on it as hard as I can and it will go dead straight. It's really pretty remarkable, but I stopped using it for three reasons:
1. I learned to shape shots a little better and can now get soft landings with my ringer GT
2. The woodchuck hits the brakes with anything (even the smallest leaf) that it encounters, making it a tricky disc on heavily wooded courses.
3. I still bag an ogopogo if I want to crash land and stick.

But for a while there, I thought the woodchuck could be my single approach/putter.

I got a Timberwolf from Marshall Street. Really dependable flexible yellow plastic. I find it falls into a gap between my midranges and my drivers which I don't use often. But I do like it and it is one of my straightest speed 8 discs. And it's flight has never changed, despite many throws.

I would like to echo previous statements that the Caribou is far more stable than the numbers indicate. It was a bit puzzling at the time as I picked up both a Caribou and Pteranadon simultaneously when I bought a smattering of various DareDevil discs.

The Pteranadon flies understable, but if you were to take the flight ratings at face value you would think it's more stable than the Caribou. I can turn over a Pteranadon readily enough, but the Caribou more or less is content to stay on whatever line you put it on.

I have an Ogopogo, a Walrus and a Woodchuck for cold weather play after breaking a brand new Innova Mirage into two pieces on a tree kick. (we were out in minus temperatures) I've owned the Ogopogo and Walrus for one round, but bought the Woodchuck about 5 months ago and played with it all autumn. Being a new player, it's going to take some time to learn how to throw the Ogopogo properly. I really like the Walrus.

So I am all-in with Daredevil and just recently received all 23 of their disc models.

Prior to last week I was familiar with the:
  • Merlin
  • Sasquatch
  • Mammoth
  • Ogopogo
  • Timberwolf
  • Swift Fox (old)
  • Walrus
  • Caribou (new)
  • Woodchuck

I am now familiar with several others, and getting to know some better.

In another thread, we discussed the lighter plastics on the Grip Performance lines (such as the old Swift Fox) because the new caribou is in the 170's.

I can give you some insight into the current lineup plastics:

Elastic Performance discs (Walrus, Woodchuck, Ogopogo) are all soft eraser-like rubber and the discs can be folded like a taco. This hasn't changed at all.

Flex Performance discs (Beaver, Moose, Timberwolf, Mammoth, Yeti, Merlin) are like the original timberwolf. It's translucent and softer than Innova Champion, kind of like Discraft's Z-FLX. The flex is very pronounced on the putter and midrange.

High Performance discs (Owl, Grizzly, Wolverine, Sabertooth, Sasquatch, Albatross) are kind of like Discraft Big-Z although that isn't the best analogy either because I think Big Z has better grip.

Grip Performance, however... this is where things get weird. Under the "Grip Performance" umbrella, Daredevil actually has THREE blends:
The Ultra Performance discs (Pteranodon, Swift Fox, Buffalo, Bigfoot, and Gray Jay) are like a Star/Big-Z mix. They are all in the 165+ weight range now not the sub 160 that they used to be.
The "true" Grip Performance discs (Bighorn, Caribou) are a "rigid rubber". The bighorn feels like a big heavy duty eraser and the caribou is like a more rubbery version of Discraft Soft-X.
Finally, there is Extra Grip Performance (Polar Bear). The Polar Bear is a less firm variant of the Bighorn

The stamps for the Ultra Performance, Grip Performance, and Extra Grip Performance still all just say "Grip Performance"

Discs I expected to love and do:
The Moose: I love the caribou so much that its slightly more stable twin in flex performance should be right up my alley and it is. If there is anything bad to say about it, it's that in the hot weather, it does get a bit floppy, but it is every bit as controllable as I had hoped with a slightly more stable finish.
The Yeti: I already liked the Merlin. The Yeti plays like a beat-in Merlin in the same plastic. Big distance for slower arms.

Discs that surprised me:
The new Swift Fox: At 175ish grams, the swift fox is no longer the disc it was, but IMO, it's actually better. The swift fox holds a monstrously long anny line
The bighorn: It feels heavy at first (even though I am coming from a 174g Ringer GT) which means it's the way the rubber feels and how the weight is distributed I guess. But it is surprisingly lithe in the air, kind of like how Jerome Bettis was very light on his toes despite being a big bruiser of a running back.

Discs that disappointed:
The Grizzly didn't truly disappoint, it just didn't wow me like the new caribou or the moose. It's slightly easier to flick due to the slick high performance plastic. The wolverine, however, surprised me in that I expected a more stable timberwolf and instead got a beat timberwolf in harder-to-grip plastic. That doesn't make it a bad disc at all, but it's unexpected.

All in all though, I am loving these discs and having a lot of fun with them!

Attachments

• IMG_3273.jpg
    IMG_3273.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 22
So I am all-in with Daredevil and just recently received all 23 of their disc models.

Did you buy them all individually, or did you get the "boxed set" that they sell?

I'm a huge fan of the Swift Fox, and has been great at a local course where the right side is choked off for 3 consecutive holes by bushes. Don't have a forehand but I can put that deep on an anny line like you say and it will hold it. Had to buy some copies for field work and in case I lose them.

Haven't put my Yeti through the ropes yet however, and was a bit of a cheeky buy being a distance driver (still sticking to fairways and what not).

Waiting on another Timber Wolf that isn't dying grass yellow which can be a bit of pain when looking for.

Did you buy them all individually, or did you get the "boxed set" that they sell?

I'm a huge fan of the Swift Fox, and has been great at a local course where the right side is choked off for 3 consecutive holes by bushes. Don't have a forehand but I can put that deep on an anny line like you say and it will hold it. Had to buy some copies for field work and in case I lose them.

Haven't put my Yeti through the ropes yet however, and was a bit of a cheeky buy being a distance driver (still sticking to fairways and what not).

Waiting on another Timber Wolf that isn't dying grass yellow which can be a bit of pain when looking for.

I did get one of the "boxed set" as well as some extras of ones that I knew I wanted. I hear ya on the colors. My timberwolves are all a nice orange that I can see in most (except fall foliage) situations.

I'll say this for the yeti: Unlike the sasquatch which is the same mold but in high performance plastic, the yeti has great grip and right out of the box should give you a nice s-shot if you can get your fairways to 90m or so. You're doing it right by building up to distance drivers, but if you get antsy, go out to a field and throw the yeti. I think you'll be kind of surprised by the easy distance that it brings.

Yeah, 90m-100m is the range where I'm at with my fairways while on a course. In particular my Swift Fox for a proper weight comparison with the Yeti. I did take it out on Saturday to use on some throws in a round with a friend, but completely forgot I put it in my bag. Was a little too focused on a replacement Valkyrie I just acquired, as well as that new Timber Wolf in likely the same nice orange you mentioned.

I'll say this for the yeti: Unlike the sasquatch which is the same mold but in high performance plastic, the yeti has great grip and right out of the box should give you a nice s-shot if you can get your fairways to 90m or so. You're doing it right by building up to distance drivers, but if you get antsy, go out to a field and throw the yeti. I think you'll be kind of surprised by the easy distance that it brings.

Okay, brought it out to a field session and you're right. S-shots and hyzer flips weren't difficult to get out of the disc. It's been sitting on a shelf for half a year now and I regret a bit letting it collect dust for that long.

I wish I did sand down the flashing on the bottom before throwing it more than a couple times however!

Did they change the blend on the Swift Fox? It sounds like its some kind of grippy flexy premium plastic now. The one I had was pretty much DX.

Did they change the blend on the Swift Fox? It sounds like its some kind of grippy flexy premium plastic now. The one I had was pretty much DX.

I have multiples of 3 different types of discs in grip performance plastic: Swift Foxes, Pteranadons, and Caribou. The Caribou has what I believe you're calling the DX type blend for the 3 different ones I have, but both my pteranadons and swift foxes are a more durable premium type version. The pteranadon and caribou are both equal speed discs as well...

So I can't answer whether the Swift Fox changed, but there is certainly two different blends of grip performance plastic.

I'm pretty sure they changed it. It used to be DX and now its similar to Star/ESP. My buddy has a new one.

I think the recent runs have corrected the stamp now. At least the local shops up North here have it now listed and stamped Ultra Performance.

Bought a couple Moose to test because that's my dog's name. Wasn't really expecting much and they really surpassed my expectations. Flat releases 280-330 were dead straight with a nice soft fade. They also held slow pushing hyzer lines very well. Awesome disc. Can anyone fill me in on how durable the Flex Performance plastic is?