• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dick Move Penalty

hyzerburn

Bogey Member
I think PDGA should start enforcing a dick move penalty. Here are some examples.

This last weekend I played a tournament where this guy missed the island on his drive on this temp hole. The rule was to re-tee. Being it was a temp hole with pavement surrounding it. He thought it was played as traditional OB. So he took his drop, cashed the putt, took the circle 3. One of the guys on his card helped set up the tournament and knew how it was supposed to be played. I'm guessing the other two on the card knew too. They let him play it from the drop without telling him he was supposed to re-tee and immediately told the TD about it. I mean, the guy should have asked or listened better at the players meeting but other players should have the common courtesy to tell someone when they're playing something wrong instead of letting them do it.

Another example is another story I heard about the guy in the previous story. The guy that should have told the guy he was playing it wrong, not the guy who played it wrong. Being it wasn't from this weekend I don't know how accurate it is but it does qualify as a dick move.

Anyway, the player lost his disc off the tee. The group searched for it. It was considered lost. He re-teed and walked up and waited while the next guy shot from his lie. While waiting he was scanning the grass to hopefully get his disc back at least. He found it where the guy from the previous story was "looking". The guy who told me the story didn't know how it played out after that but again, finding a disc but not telling the person who lost it would fall under the dick move penalty.

Anyone else have some similar stories that would qualify?

How could you prove the person found the disc but didn't admit it? There isn't any way to prove that short of the player admitting it.

As far as the first situation is concerned, it would need to be made aware to the TD and he would have to talk to all concerned and make a fair judgment based on whether he thought the other players were "taking advantage of" the rules. This could be seen as cheating and lead to DQ or at least a courtesy warning (as it is required of you to watch each player play each shot in order to enforce the rules). Again this would require proof or an admission of some sort.

I was lucky enough to have an experienced tournament player on my card this past weekend while I was playing my first solo tournament.

He was a huge help in clearing up things about my tournament etiquette that I would have otherwise had no clue about. So he was the opposite of a "dick move" guy, aiming to point out and correct my mistakes rather than call them on a first time tournament player.

For example. I've developed a habit of setting my bag down behind my lie (say 5-10 yards away), marking my lie and casually tossing the thrown disc I just picked up back to my bag. I had no idea that was illegal over a certain distance (can't remember what the distance was but I was clearing it often).

He made sure I knew about it and even refrained from calling me on it after I subconsciously did it a few more times after he had told me the rule.

And when I threw a disc deep in some woods off the tee with a group waiting behind us, he told me to take a provisional tee shot right away rather than search for the disc, exhaust my time limit and then have to go all the way back to the tee and throw again.

Good guy and an example of true sportsmanship.

For example. I've developed a habit of setting my bag down behind my lie (say 5-10 yards away), marking my lie and casually tossing the thrown disc I just picked up back to my bag. I had no idea that was illegal over a certain distance (can't remember what the distance was but I was clearing it often).
The distance is 5 meters, just so you know :)

How could you prove the person found the disc but didn't admit it? There isn't any way to prove that short of the player admitting it.

I can't tell you how many times I've walked over a disc without seeing it. I don't think you can kill the guy for not finding it the first time.

I don't even think the distance matters if "you throw towards a target", which is what you're doing when you toss it back to your bag. i haven't seen this called though, even though plenty of people do it.

From your first paragraph
1. You should have called the guy on it.
2. If the group overrides your call, ask for an official if non available ask the thrower to Re-Tee and have him take a provisional for the first shot and ask the TD at the end of the round to make the call.
3. If the thrower refuses the provisional, talk to the TD to clarify the rule for the player after the round and have whatever penalties apply if any.

If I'm understanding what you've stated then this could be a good start.

also, go take the PDGA rules exam, it answers a lot of questions and doesn't take a long time to take and pass.

From the rulebook definitions section:

"Practice Throw: During a round, the projection of a disc of a distance greater than two meters, or of any distance toward a target, intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie, either because it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie, or because the player had already thrown competitively from the teeing area or the lie. Throws that are re-thrown in accordance with the rules are not practice throws. Provisional throws made pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3) are not practice throws. A player shall receive a penalty for a practice throw in accordance with sections 803.01 B or 804.02 A (2)."

I always understood target to mean disc golf target but perhaps this is open to interpretation since target is not defined in the rulebook.

While its annoying, you have to follow the rules. In your story you didn't say that the player asked about the island green rules and was given incorrect information. He just didnt know the rules and played incorrectly. The rest of the group absolutly has the right to wait and then call him. It was a tournament and if we want this to be a real sport... there have to be rules and people need to follow them. The rest of his groups were jerks...but, you don't see people walking over and telling Tiger before each bunker shot to remember not to ground his club. It is no one elses fault but the players. To have a thread suggesting making it a penalty to call people on penalties is a little silly...but hey, I commented anyways.

I thought this post was going to be about not moving while someone else is putting. "I saw his dick move!!! Stroke him!! Er wait..."

In one of my first tournaments many years ago, I had a another girl player do the d move. Our putters were the same brand and color. Everyone's putts have landed around the basket. First girl putts, then D Girl points to me and says, "You're away". I mark the disc and start to putt. The second it leaves my hand she says in the snottiest voice ever - "You just putted from my lie!". Then she proceeds to stroke me. I think that is how many strokes she won by that day.

At least something good came out of it. I now mark the top of my discs as well to prevent a repeat performance.

Oh and on that note I nominate the penalty to be renamed the "C-Move" so it can apply both ways. :)

I know the proving the person found the disc would be nearly impossible. I don't know if it was buried in grass or just sitting out in the open on top. I'm assuming it was out in the open being he found it while scanning from the edge of the tall grass where Dick Move guy was "looking"

From your first paragraph
1. You should have called the guy on it.
2. If the group overrides your call, ask for an official if non available ask the thrower to Re-Tee and have him take a provisional for the first shot and ask the TD at the end of the round to make the call.
3. If the thrower refuses the provisional, talk to the TD to clarify the rule for the player after the round and have whatever penalties apply if any.

If I'm understanding what you've stated then this could be a good start.

also, go take the PDGA rules exam, it answers a lot of questions and doesn't take a long time to take and pass.

I wasn't on the card otherwise I would have told the guy he had to re-tee.

Funny story about the rules exam. I know a guy who talks like wrote the PDGA rules. Didn't pass the exam. Didn't even come close to passing it. I guess it's more you have to know the guy to find it funny.

While its annoying, you have to follow the rules. In your story you didn't say that the player asked about the island green rules and was given incorrect information. He just didnt know the rules and played incorrectly. The rest of the group absolutly has the right to wait and then call him. It was a tournament and if we want this to be a real sport... there have to be rules and people need to follow them. The rest of his groups were jerks...but, you don't see people walking over and telling Tiger before each bunker shot to remember not to ground his club. It is no one elses fault but the players. To have a thread suggesting making it a penalty to call people on penalties is a little silly...but hey, I commented anyways.

I'm not serious about having this be a real rule. I mean I called it the Dick Move Penalty. That should have been a clue I wasn't serious. But to build on your "if we want this to be a real sport" comment. I agree, rules should be followed and enforced. But if you are intentionally letting someone break a rule instead of giving them the heads up that's making our sport look bad. This guy was already pretty far behind. Imagine if this was dudes first tournament and that happened. Odds are, dude is going to be turned off from playing more tournaments. In return we lose some of that growth.

Latest posts