• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the kind words, BigMan! Dan.... I love the potter's wheel idea. I tried a turntable, but it only did 33.5 and 45.... too slow.... i need an old fashioned one that will do 78rpm.

Fishy's spin dye set up might be something to consider, I have no idea how fast it'll go but I would be surprised if max is less than 78.

Thank you koogs and DTP for the warm welcome.
This dye is the one I've wanted to post on here for a long time.I did this nearly 3 years ago (but I took the picture just today} This disc is a testament to the quality of opto plastic. It was within the first 10 dyes that I've done...I think no. 8. It has faded some but not much, and is still one of my favorites.

opto river
100_0227.jpg

In the flesh

Wwwwwwoooooowwwww....., yeah , that's me watching that incredible display of wowness !
Snowed on course today , might have to box up a bunch of discs ! Save a few to try myself just for individuality !

Wwwwwwoooooowwwww....., yeah , that's me watching that incredible display of wowness !
Snowed on course today , might have to box up a bunch of discs ! Save a few to try myself just for individuality !

Thank you for the kind words! :thmbup:

Just out of curiosity, are you using a lathe (or a set up similar) in order to do this type of dye? I'm guessing a drill w/a suction cup type of bit, steady hand, and some kind of dye-infused pens could make this happen.

And don't take this the wrong way, as this looks awesome regardless of technique, but bf you're doing individual dips, its absolutely amazing... :clap:

Bender's reply below used to be true. I have gone high-tech and use a turntable now. Hand spinning became tedious. But, my turntable is powered by gerbils in a wheel ;)

Brainwave your work is truly unique and I totally dig it, truly an artist of a different nature to the rest of the dyers.. To the rest of you it is just truly out of control that this is done with dye and plastic. These are legitimate works of art and should be celebrated as such!! I am working my way back into dyeing. For some reason i dislike dyes in my bag at the moment, but having a custom disc is always a plus. please keep pushing this art forward it is simply amazing. Id like to see a thread with different dyers and their progression.

In the few forums i frequent and the entire interwebz, this is by far the best thing out there. sorry for the long post I am tired...

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words!! :cool:

I guess I'm curious if he has some sort of drill or lathe-like, hand, or foot-powered machine that will spin disc slowly, while he makes the circles of color. That's a lot of cutting, masking & re-dipping for a dye that took "mere minutes" to complete.

I don't think it's a dip type dye, and was just curious about the method. But I've been known to be wrong before.

Regardless though, it's a cool dye. :clap:

You got it! Two turntable and a microphone ;) I do not employ masking- yet :D

Well now that people can put their names to which entry was done by whom, here's my before & after for "Join Us" :

8180473253_1d70609ff4_c.jpg

8136976979_4561382d57_c.jpg

Banksy Flower Thrower

My latest since picking up this disc dye thing a couple weeks ago :)

08 - Thrower River.jpg

It's based on graffiti by the British artist Banksy.

^ Can you do these dyes on DX/Pro Disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.