• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one Brainwave did for me recently, amazing.

albatross.jpg

Just out of curiosity, are you using a lathe (or a set up similar) in order to do this type of dye? I'm guessing a drill w/a suction cup type of bit, steady hand, and some kind of dye-infused pens could make this happen.

And don't take this the wrong way, as this looks awesome regardless of technique, but bf you're doing individual dips, its absolutely amazing... :clap:

OK, can I just say something here...

DyeingToPlay has to be the biggest innovator that disc dying has seen to date. Generally I walk around and see things here and there like logos, banners, backgrounds, desktop wallpapers and am like, ooo that would be a good dye. Oh, I would like to try that. And then there are other images, typically made in Photoshop with all kinds of dynamic lighting that look seller and I'm just like, forget it, that is outside the realm of possibilities when it comes to dying plastic. DTP is able to capture more images that I have thought to be impossible than any other dyer. The textbook skull last year, this years Oktoberfest winner, and now that black sun looking thing, it just makes me stare and scratch my head wondering how in the world these are made.

Sir, I hope you start selling video tutorials time lapsing your work on a disc. The longer you stay in this hobby the wider the doors of possibilities will open and better the rest of us dyers can get.

Brainwave your work is truly unique and I totally dig it, truly an artist of a different nature to the rest of the dyers.. To the rest of you it is just truly out of control that this is done with dye and plastic. These are legitimate works of art and should be celebrated as such!! I am working my way back into dyeing. For some reason i dislike dyes in my bag at the moment, but having a custom disc is always a plus. please keep pushing this art forward it is simply amazing. Id like to see a thread with different dyers and their progression.

In the few forums i frequent and the entire interwebz, this is by far the best thing out there. sorry for the long post I am tired...

He has said that his methods involve no power tools/electricity.

I guess I'm curious if he has some sort of drill or lathe-like, hand, or foot-powered machine that will spin disc slowly, while he makes the circles of color. That's a lot of cutting, masking & re-dipping for a dye that took "mere minutes" to complete.

I don't think it's a dip type dye, and was just curious about the method. But I've been known to be wrong before.

Regardless though, it's a cool dye. :clap:

inspired by Brainwave's recent awesomeness I just had to experiment.
ARdisc2012.jpg

Now that's interesting! I can see the strands being gently stretched away from the center, loving it DTP! I wouldn't be surprised if you have a potters wheel sitting in the basement/garage :D

My friend DyingToPlay showed me how to post pics today. I can finally show some of my work! Been lurking on this site for awhile now and have learned much. Thanks to all who contribute and share thier secrets.
star boss for a friend
100_0166.jpg

thanks for the kind words, BigMan! Dan.... I love the potter's wheel idea. I tried a turntable, but it only did 33.5 and 45.... too slow.... i need an old fashioned one that will do 78rpm. I have been thinking about trying this technique since last year when I saw some awesome gradient dyes and had been trying to find a way to do gradients from outside in (or reverse) instead of top to bottom. Brainwave's recent work inspired me to get up off my backside and figure something out.
@missinglink.... glad to have helped. Nice first post! Now get to work taking pictures and uploading and share more of your awesome work!

The spins dyes are amazing!! I had to try and figure out a way to do something similar.

The turntable idea sounded solid. Here's something I rigged up, do you think it would work? The slipmats are made of felt, and I used tacks to center the disc over the spindle. The platter spins freely when not powered on, so I can manually manipulate the platter's speed.

Attachments

• IMAG0210.jpg
    IMAG0210.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 64
My friend DyingToPlay showed me how to post pics today. I can finally show some of my work! Been lurking on this site for awhile now and have learned much. Thanks to all who contribute and share thier secrets.
star boss for a friend
100_0166.jpg

Nice dye for a first post. Look forward to seeing more of your work. :thmbup:

MarbleAnode.jpg

My second attempt at Marbling with shaving cream. This is a 175 Anode if anyone is interested.

:sigh: been nearly a year since I've done a dye...wonder if I remember how...
I want Jeff's blue....I don't care about everything else. He can keep all his techniques and secrets...I just want his blue...tried for years to get that color...:mumble mumble mumble:...

Lopan12, you need to be thinking ORANGE and BLUE. Not just blue. :p

The last few pags in here have so e great work. I am always amazed when I check this thread. :clap:

yeah yeah yeah, I know. I'm gonna take care of it tuesday. I should probably dye something before yours just to make sure I haven't forgotten something stupidly important.....
For the curious, I've had his white River for almost a year now...I didn't get to it before I moved, and thus, it has been stuck in limbo since. Don't be mad on his behalf though, he's got like 10 other Rivers ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts