• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The first time you "got" it

loki993

Eagle Member
I only started playing somewhat seriously this year, I played a bit last year but kind of fell out of in towards the end of the season. This year I'm really trying to get out as much as I can and concentrating on getting better and practicing.

I started out my form wasn't great and I could get the disc a little over 200 probably. Fast forward to now and my form is getting better and 250 or 270 is probably average with the one where everything comes together and I think I can get it over 300.

I was playing league a few days ago and needed a turnover shot. I pulled out the 150 dx Leo I got just for that and popped it and it went and just set into a nice smooth turnover..just the way I wanted. First time I did it. I did it two more times that day too. Was really cool finally getting a disc to do exactly what I wanted it to.

Now sure its a light leo and it should be easy to turn over, thats why I got it, but up until then it wasn't something I could do....at least not on purpose....

Its just kind of cool seeing some of that practice paying off.....

So when was the first time you were like wow....

I can't think of one moment, and certainly can't remember the first, but now a decade in, I still find "aha" moments periodically. Like any other sport, there are a few exceptional people that really get it from the start, but most of us work our way up incrementally, always finding something new to work on.

The first time I got the grip timing and squeeze pressure figured out I got an extra 40 feet out of a teebird.

When I realized weight needs to be forward before the hips fire, my discs had never been so straight, 300' line drives with fairways at like 60% power.

Once I figured out the hips, it was like an instant 30-50' on pure hyzer and anhyzer lines.

Still working on perfecting weight shift, posture and 2-3 angle throws

I gave that feeling to a newby a few weeks back......

Our club runs monthly clinics and this guy shows up the one disc, a Lightning #2 Hookshot. He complains that all it does is go up and left. I give him the "pull the disc across your chest" example and tell him to step into it like a baseball swing. Then i hand him a Leopard and let him try.......

His first shot goes dead straight, 10 degrees off into the first available tree. I explain it's a release issue and that he should plan to release earlier now that he's using a different form than before. The next two shots go dead straight down the fairway and his eyes get as big as the discs he's throwing............."WOW THIS IS GREAT!!!" is what he says.

You could literally see the light bulb go on for this guy.

The first time I got the grip timing and squeeze pressure figured out I got an extra 40 feet out of a teebird.

When I realized weight needs to be forward before the hips fire, my discs had never been so straight, 300' line drives with fairways at like 60% power.

Once I figured out the hips, it was like an instant 30-50' on pure hyzer and anhyzer lines.

Still working on perfecting weight shift, posture and 2-3 angle throws

Something I definitely need to work on...I seem to have an issue with not shifting my weight properly...when I do a run up my throws are better usually because I think it forces me to shift.....still tis hard for me to do from a standstill for some reason....maybe Ill try stepping into it

I know what you mean. I'm new enough to the game that I remember a lot of "firsts."

I started playing a little over two years ago, but only right at the end of the season. So in the off season, I threw nothing but Wizards and Comets and worked painstakingly learning how to throw the disc. When I came back to my home course that spring, I parked the first hole with a huge hyzer, which I had never birdied before. It was crazy.

I also remember learning to throw turnovers with my Pro Leopard. It was amazing to have gone from not even being able to control a disc to being able to manipulate it into a complex and beautiful flight. It felt like it happened over night, since I spent months practicing before going back to the course, so I was pretty giddy about it.

I also remember how so many of the holes on the course just started to look shorter and shorter. I started using midranges, then putters on holes I was using a driver and not deucing before. It was (and is) pretty exciting.

These "firsts" still happen. A couple of weeks ago, I got the notion to throw my flat pearly Katana (turns but has a nicely overstable finish) on a 450' hole that typically has a tailwind. I usually don't even make it to the tree line that's about 400' away, but I threw the disc with a little bit of anhyzer and a lot of nose down and penetrated into the trees for a putt (which I missed). I'd never done that before, and the disc flew exactly as I envisioned it would. What a good feeling.

I'm just now starting to understand and execute nose-down throws.

The best advice I've seen posted was to imagine turning a key as you're throwing, right at the end.

It's nice to see a perfectly flat profile of a disc as it's travelling away from me, instead of seeing the top of the disc peeking / staring back at me.

Also, discs are now performing the way they're supposed to, with more turn to them.

In my early days, living in blissful DG ignorance, maybe like 9 years ago, I used to carry around a champion orc. I picked it cause it was the only cool looking semi-transparent one at the sporting goods store amidst a rack of DX plastic. (I later came to find out the champion was the name of the plastic, and the disk was not the leader of the Uruk-Hai). Despite my ignorance of the game I managed to really get an OK amount of power behind my drives. Managed 350'-400' drives. After maybe a year or two of using ONLY that disc, understanding in a very basic way, "Discs fade left at the end of their flight" First round in the spring I hit the local course, let out a bomb with a lake on the right side. It was at that time that I first threw what I previously thought was impossible. It turned over and never looked back. Straight into the pond. I shrugged, went out and bought the next shiny semi-transparent disc I could find. A champ sidewinder. Having no knowledge of discs having different flight characteristics I was pretty confused when this one also like to turn over. I figured I must have changed my throw, so I started tweaking things until BOOM. I "got" it. Changing the way I threw it I could control the line. T'was Eye opening.

Then I went to college, didn't have a car, stopped playing as much... came back to the sport in full force late last year. Pulled the classic noob move "Oh the Boss is fast! Let's try that! I'll bomb it!" Now I am figuring out how many bad habits I developed, and every time I go out to play I try and have an Ah HA! moment.

So when was the first time you were like wow....

I learned the game in Mobile, AL, and I really couldn't throw for anything, 250, 260'. Really, I just liked the game, had fun walking the park. I kept noticing my drives were getting gradually longer and longer. At the one city course, I was finding I could reach all but 2 baskets in 2 throws, giving me the potential to shoot close to par. I forgot the name of the course,but it had an airplane and a train as part of the course. Anyways, one of the holes was just incredibly long, 700'+ish range, and really making 4 was a feat for me then. Frustrated by the distance, I tried my first roller, and unbelievable to my eyes, the hard southern turf and downhill run carried my disc well over 400' of that distance. It was still a hard 3 for me, but when I heard those chains rattle after only 3 throws, and I picked up my disc out of the basket, I knew I was going to be shooting under par, and I knew I was getting pretty good at the game.

On a related note, I went to Springfield, MO and played a course back when I was at my best back in that time, and I was wanting to see where I am at now compared to then, and I made that course into a joke. I still feel like I am getting better and better, and it still amazes me.

Something I definitely need to work on...I seem to have an issue with not shifting my weight properly...when I do a run up my throws are better usually because I think it forces me to shift.....still tis hard for me to do from a standstill for some reason....maybe Ill try stepping into it

will schusterick has that new driving tips video out, his standstill throwing motion is very good. I have watched that section quite a few times.

I found trying to mirror a baseball swing, is a good way to figure out the motion. It takes a minute to figure out bc its backwards. Rh hitter is like a lhbh thrower. But having a bat in your hands will give you an exaggerated feeling of what leveraging the disc feels like. Ie how to move the weight of the bat with your hips, and the weight shift of a swing. I feel like a video of this could be very helpful.

will schusterick has that new driving tips video out, his standstill throwing motion is very good. I have watched that section quite a few times.

I found trying to mirror a baseball swing, is a good way to figure out the motion. It takes a minute to figure out bc its backwards. Rh hitter is like a lhbh thrower. But having a bat in your hands will give you an exaggerated feeling of what leveraging the disc feels like. Ie how to move the weight of the bat with your hips, and the weight shift of a swing. I feel like a video of this could be very helpful.

I've watched a few times too, just did again actually....I see now that he is stepping into the throw. That's not something I do from a standstill and I'm sure its limiting me...probably why I have trouble getting my weight to shift right...

I've "had it". Keeping "it" is the problem! Never stop trying to improve. Track your scores so you can see improvement. My satisfaction nowadays is 2ing a hole on my home courses that I haven't got yet (recently got #12 at NPC for 1st time) and playing new courses.

I've "had it". Keeping "it" is the problem! Never stop trying to improve. Track your scores so you can see improvement. My satisfaction nowadays is 2ing a hole on my home courses that I haven't got yet (recently got #12 at NPC for 1st time) and playing new courses.

Thats no joke, seems like a week after my biggest break through I wasn't able to play for almost a month, and it definitely set me back. Had to remember the key points, and sorta re learn it.

The back foot thing gave me problems too, especially on stand stills. Almost had to re learn the technique, to stand and deliver. The footwork thing was my rhythm, so even really short throws I would still do a little run up.

The rear foot, is like the hips in the fact that its 2 parts. After the plant lands, a slight push towards the target to get my weight forward onto my front foot,(elbow is just passing the tip of the front shoulder as my weight gets over the front foot) and then a harder push to fire the hips. The first part isnt something I'm really actively doing at this point, seems more passive, but that might help put some pieces together.

Consistency is still all over the place but after playing on my third year things are starting to click really well and scary fast. When I need to make a big straight bomb right at the basket * when there is an open field of course because when its crowded on each side... I cant figure out how! lol... intimidated?*

Its a great thing, it goes lazer straight not too high not too low, limited fade/turn BUT it shoots off 30ft to the right of the said target ha! Just gotta get that release timing down and look out |m|

Ive found it, then lost it many times. Driving has always been my weakness in dg. For example a couple of weeks ago I started driving around 310-320 feet on average. I had a few close to 350 feet. Before that my average was about 285ish, with max 320 very occasionally. Later in the week i messed my back up rock climbing. I had to take a week off or so. Next time i played, i was back to my old average. Hopefully it will click again.

Lol I've always considered myself decent off the Tee, but idk what happened lately. I started a round with a rough shot as usual, then did another. Both mediocre and I was like, it's gonna be one of THOSE days. Next hole, I park a 300ft uphill shot of the tee. I was like... What did I just do, I couldn't explain it to my brother, or my buddy, but everything was firing right. And It's been doing it since. Timing just feels right atm.

Also, I started practicing some putting after playing with some mpo guys, I picked up a few things and just started draining putts that used to be scary. Confidence is key for sure, I'm just glad everything is starting to click and I'm now progressing after a long dry spell lol.

Thats no joke, seems like a week after my biggest break through I wasn't able to play for almost a month, and it definitely set me back. Had to remember the key points, and sorta re learn it.

The back foot thing gave me problems too, especially on stand stills. Almost had to re learn the technique, to stand and deliver. The footwork thing was my rhythm, so even really short throws I would still do a little run up.

The rear foot, is like the hips in the fact that its 2 parts. After the plant lands, a slight push towards the target to get my weight forward onto my front foot,(elbow is just passing the tip of the front shoulder as my weight gets over the front foot) and then a harder push to fire the hips. The first part isnt something I'm really actively doing at this point, seems more passive, but that might help put some pieces together.

Ive found it, then lost it many times. Driving has always been my weakness in dg. For example a couple of weeks ago I started driving around 310-320 feet on average. I had a few close to 350 feet. Before that my average was about 285ish, with max 320 very occasionally. Later in the week i messed my back up rock climbing. I had to take a week off or so. Next time i played, i was back to my old average. Hopefully it will click again.

For real. So I went to this clinic last night the PGDA put on was really cool. So I was working on the tips in the field for a few throws after and any of the distance I got is gone now....I'm throwing about 250 again...so I don't know. Think is I was mostly arm before and I'm trying to put more hips and shoulders into it, didnt think I would lose power, but I think its just now the timing of my arm is off....

baby steps right lol It just kind of sucks doing it by yourself you have no idea if you're doing it right or not

I "got" golf and had been playing that for years. I know some would want to object but really it is the same game. I "got" it the very first time I saw it being played.

While picnicking in a park and throwing a beach lid back and forth with the wife. We were in an open field surrounded on the perimeter with these funny baskets. The wife and I had no idea what they were for and we had seen them a few local parks. Well as we were playing catch I saw what the baskets were for. WOW!!! Somewhere in the recesses of my brain I had heard of frisbee golf, but it was an epiphany for me. I pointed it out to the wife and she was intrigued as well. That week while shopping at Walmart of all places they had disc golf sets on sale. Wham-O disc golf sets. A turnover driver, a midrange and a putter. $17.99 each. They had three on the shelf and I bought all three.

That was 6 years or so ago and I've have "gotten" it ever since. Seems like I have another one of those "got" it moments all the time to this day. Mastering a disc, well sort of. The only thing I master is bait. I discover that "magic" disc that does something I haven't been able to do before. Or I rediscover a disc that's been collecting dust in my basement, garage, living room, car... I see someone throw a line I had never considered. Or someone makes a throw that I'll never be able to do in million years. I iron out a wrinkle in my own form, "Ahhh, I got it." And on and on.

I think those "got" it moments is large part of why I'm so addicted. Hell I'm an old hippie, I just like to watch the pretty frisbees flying thru the air.

Latest posts