• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The hardest part of getting 1st ace.

My first ace came relatively quick. It took nearly 7 years to get my second one! Talk about a drought!
P.S. still sitting on two :eek:

Screw that! It counts! I just made it from the pad! ACE!!!

It's not a 1 on the score card. You don't get any money from the pool. It is an Ace.

hitting a "Ace" on anything but the first throw is kinda like kissing your step sister... yeah its a kiss but who the hell would want to admit it?

You'll have to direct me to that thread. If I make a shot from the tee pad, I want someone to sign my disc.

My old ball golf coach told me "Always hit 2 on the par 3s. Double the chance for a hole in one." I'd even want people to sign a rethrown circle-3.

Yeah, but a hole in one in real golf is significantly more difficult than a disc golf ace. Even then, I'm not sure I'd count a "mulligan hole-in-one", as it's not within the rules of golf. But it would still be cool to see the ball roll into the cup, so at least I'd have that even if I didn't put it on the scorecard.

I won't sign the disc of someone who plays competitively and throws a cubby ace. To me the only real ace is one thrown from the teepad with your first shot. Second shot doesn't count. Ace race ace from 80' out, doesn't count. By keeping my personal bar high I am much more proud of the couple aces I do have. On the other hand, for a casual player who tosses his first shot in the woods and hits an "ace" on his second shot I'll give him the 1 on the scorecard and congratulate him. Hopefully building that player up will get him to play more.

Is that something of a double standard? Of course it is, but I think it's defensible. In any pursuit the hardcore participants are held to a higher standard than those who participate on a recreational basis. So I guess my attitude is don't tell me how serious you are about disc golf in one breath, and then about all your cubby aces in the second.

edit:
hitting a "Ace" on anything but the first throw is kinda like kissing your step sister... yeah its a kiss but who the hell would want to admit it?

and in one short sentence you summed my point up better than I did...:clap:

You'll have to direct me to that thread.
There have been several threads on said subject.

If I make a shot from the tee pad, I want someone to sign my disc.
I'd sign yours "Nice second/third/seventeenth shot from the pad" if that's how it happened. Having a tee box under your feet per se isn't what makes an ace an ace.

Make sure you pay Feldbeard for the use of his likeness :p

Funny thing is that I originally drew that guy as my brother - who has had a monster beard for about 8 years. It only occured to me that it's also a very Dave looking guy after I posted it.

Some guy found my little brother on FB yesterday (they didn't know each other) but he pieced together that he was the HeavyDisc character! :D

I mean, I practice upshots from 100 feet and a bit further regularly, and run at the basket on those sometimes, considering the day when I might make that a regular feature of my upshot (rather than planning for it to slide under the basket). Maybe sometimes I do that from 200 or even 225.

So, by all means, fire away at those baskets.

I'd be excited if I hit one, for sure. My longest "real" such shot in a round is probably around a hundred feet - maybe I've hit a couple, but many were, indeed, second, practice, shots. My longest in a tourney is probably 70' (to force the second hole of the playoff after he parked his drive!).

If I lived closer to a course that had a couple of ace-runnable holes in a loop, yeah, for fun I'd probably spend some time repetitively aiming at the chains. I'm sure it'd feel great the first time I hit chains, and the first time one stuck.

I might brag a little on such practice shots. But in the sense of "I'm a newer player who's almost grown into MA3, it's fun to watch your game improve!". Certainly not as an "ace".

Hey......yeah....I think I have heard of you up here in Michigan. Around 30 years old, drives like 700 ft? :p
Well I just turned 29 and I drive more like 850', but who's counting? ;)

Although speaking of dick swinging, I did just play a round with a couple dudes who kept talking about all the tournaments they won, which is an ok subject to touch on but after a while I just don't want to hear about it. They were good but the one guy was talking to me like I was a n00b and didn't have any grasp on the game. Also they kept walking ahead of me immediately after holing out. I don't want to get into specifics, but we were in the Intermediate bracket and I asked the guy why they didn't choose to play the Pro bracket and his response was "I'm not good enough", meanwhile he ended up winning and could have won the Pro division if he was in it.

Whatever helps you sleep at night :|

Lastly, I just saw a guy doink the top of the basket off a high flying tomahawk drive. It was the most ridiculous thing ever. If it had gone in I think the basket would have exploded.

Lastly, I just saw a guy doink the top of the basket off a high flying tomahawk drive. It was the most ridiculous thing ever. If it had gone in I think the basket would have exploded.

Quote of the year right now. :popcorn:

The only thing special about my first and only Ace was the date 1/11/11.

It was the 192ft wooded hole 8 at McLean Central Park (VA). Threw a Roc, it started to fade before it got to the basket, kissed off a tree and landed in the basket.

Still looking for my second!

The only thing special about my first and only Ace was the date 1/11/11.

It was the 192ft wooded hole 8 at McLean Central Park (VA). Threw a Roc, it started to fade before it got to the basket, kissed off a tree and landed in the basket.

Still looking for my second!

You dont think kicking off a tree into the basket is special?? I've seen a couple skip aces but never off a tree.. I'd think the sheer luck involved makes it special! Maybe even more so than a 150' wide open line drive ace!

You dont think kicking off a tree into the basket is special?? I've seen a couple skip aces but never off a tree.. I'd think the sheer luck involved makes it special! Maybe even more so than a 150' wide open line drive ace!

I have hit a tree 3 times in the basket for putts, but your right back board aces are dope.

I got my most embarassing ace last Sunday. Alone, 325' over and partially down a hill (blind shot). I searched for my disc for 10 minutes under about 50 cars in the parking lot at the bottom of the hill before the next group shouted at me.

Yep, in the basket.

Hell. We opened a pitch and putt here in Indy last year, where like one hole is over 180'
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5553
Guys were posting up on the local board about hitting 125' aces with Blizzard Bosses. :3 Good for them. Whatever makes them happy is the right way to play.

Don't hate on Inlow! I threw an ace there...with a disc I bought that day! It was a Cryztal Sparkle Zone though. I was only in town for another day and just happened to play it right after the Hill. Nice flick on hole 3. It has earned me 5 since then.

Anyway, the hardest part about the first ace is getting it. Once you know it is possible, the mentality of the game shifts a little bit. You play with more confidence on ace runs. My first was a 273' shot with an opto Riot to a basket tucked back in some trees. Monster hyzer that buried itself in the basket, no chains.

No, it's like trying to sleep with a hot chick (that's not related to you), but being too drunk to get it up, then trying again a little later and being successful.

What's different about the second throw? If I played that course an hour before, are you not going to sign because it wasn't the first throw on that hole that day? If I warm up with 20 shots on that hole right before a tourney begins, then ace it with the first throw of the tournament are you not going to sign it?

No, it's like trying to sleep with a hot chick (that's not related to you), but being too drunk to get it up, then trying again a little later and being successful.
No, its like kissing your sister, as in, its not exactly something worth bragging about.

What's different about the second throw?
The fact that its not the first throw, and that the whole point of an ace is getting it perfect the first time. Take out a deck of cards. How many spots are there on the cards known as aces? Do you see a correlation between the word "ace" and that number?

If I played that course an hour before, are you not going to sign because it wasn't the first throw on that hole that day? If I warm up with 20 shots on that hole right before a tourney begins, then ace it with the first throw of the tournament are you not going to sign it?
This is going to be like the 30 second rule thread all over again isn't it? You can't possibly be that obtuse. 95% of the people here get the concept and I think you do too.

I don't understand how the exact same thing can be one thing at one time then 2 seconds later be something else. A black ace is kissing your sister.

The fact that its not the first throw, and that the whole point of an ace is getting it perfect the first time. Take out a deck of cards. How many spots are there on the cards known as aces? Do you see a correlation between the word "ace" and that number?

1. It took 1 throw to hole out from the tee. Which doesn't change no matter how many times I throw.

Do you only get to sign an ace if you're scoring the round?

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. It's not impressive to hit an ace if it wasn't the first throw? If it's a 600' hole, it's not impressive to nail it from the pad if it's not the very first time you threw that hole?

Latest posts