• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Hypothetical circlejerk question warning: If Big Jerm and Paige Pierce both win a world championship this year, can we officially declare Prodigy's discs to be the worst?

No. Prodigy discs are good. Plastics are good, the molds are good and fly well.

No. Prodigy discs are good. Plastics are good, the molds are good and fly well.

Some Prodigy discs are good, and their plastics are ok, but they have definite gaps. The H-line is weird, it's no coincidence that Paige and Jerm switched companies and immediately picked a speed 9 as their signature disc (convict and thunderbird).

Some Prodigy discs are good, and their plastics are ok, but they have definite gaps. The H-line is weird, it's no coincidence that Paige and Jerm switched companies and immediately picked a speed 9 as their signature disc (convict and thunderbird).

I think they picked them because they already sell pretty well.

And isn't Jerm's Thunderbird a Tour Series?

Why would you want to join a group of people that all have chosen to throw "all trilogy" when you don't?

That's like wanting join a Harley only riders club on your Honda.

Arguably more like trying to join a Honda club on your Harley, but OK.

Many if not most riders, drivers and yes, disc golfers, actually own more than one bike / car / disc, and usually from different manufacturers. Even my friends in the Alpha Romeo and Ferrari clubs actually own, drive, and enjoy other vehicles. And while their friends in the clubs may poke fun at their other rides, I've never heard of them withholding information or services due to brand disloyalty.

So, great analogy! Maybe you guys should think about being more inclusive, like the motorcycle clubs you mentioned? Or continue on while people like me think you're silly snobs I guess.

So the fact that at a time when women's sports were receiving little to no support at all, that Innova and Discraft supported women, and women's events, occurred only because no one else was doing it? I don't understand your logic flow.

BTW - on the top two teams for Innova vs the top two teams for DD, the ratio of men to women is, let me see, do do do, that would be 2 to 1 (12 to 6) for Innova and 7 to 1 for DD. And the one is? Oh yeah, PP.

The argument that is being made about Innova is that they are essentially sexist....

The argument is, ludicrous. At least I hope someone out there thinks it is.

Quick correction of context. DD just last week moved the three World Champs to a separate "team" level. Until then they were with Team KingD's. So looking at it that way there are 18 men and 5 women on the top two teams. Which is pretty similar to Innova's Star Team + Hall of Fame team = 18 men and 6 women.

Arguably more like trying to join a Honda club on your Harley, but OK.

Many if not most riders, drivers and yes, disc golfers, actually own more than one bike / car / disc, and usually from different manufacturers. Even my friends in the Alpha Romeo and Ferrari clubs actually own, drive, and enjoy other vehicles. And while their friends in the clubs may poke fun at their other rides, I've never heard of them withholding information or services due to brand disloyalty.

So, great analogy! Maybe you guys should think about being more inclusive, like the motorcycle clubs you mentioned? Or continue on while people like me think you're silly snobs I guess.

I just want some clarity. Did you call people playing disc golf silly snobs? Is that possible? Silly yes, but snobs? Isn't that kind of antithetical? Notice how I used a word that I can't define but that seemed appropriate, so that if someone wanted to, they could call me a snob.

Quick correction of context. DD just last week moved the three World Champs to a separate "team" level. Until then they were with Team KingD's. So looking at it that way there are 18 men and 5 women on the top two teams. Which is pretty similar to Innova's Star Team + Hall of Fame team = 18 men and 6 women.

Hey, I just went with what was on the web site while in the middle of a quick and dirty debate concerning Innova's rampant sexism. I didn't realize some one was going to fact check me. Of course if I thought that someone might, I would have guessed it would be ARay.:D

Agreed. I do like the 400 plastics, myself, and I like the molds I've tried (Pa4, M3, M4, F3, F5). I agree about the H-line, my H-4 is nothing exceptional. And you are right about the big gap between the F series (speed 7 or so) and all the way up to the D series (speed 13s).

I can see the limited choices being one reason Jerm left, but I think PP left for reasons of integrity, as has been discussed on these boards quite a lot...

I just want some clarity. Did you call people playing disc golf silly snobs? Is that possible? Silly yes, but snobs? Isn't that kind of antithetical? Notice how I used a word that I can't define but that seemed appropriate, so that if someone wanted to, they could call me a snob.

I know, right? I didnt think it was possible until i read the Trilogy team application. Seemed antithetical to me too.

I think they picked them because they already sell pretty well.

And isn't Jerm's Thunderbird a Tour Series?

Pretty sure the top pros are less cynical than you. They're going to pick discs they know they can throw well because tournament performance affects their present and future income a lot more than a few extra disc sales on a disc they don't love.

Pretty sure the top pros are less cynical than you. They're going to pick discs they know they can throw well because tournament performance affects their present and future income a lot more than a few extra disc sales on a disc they don't love.

While this may be true, I'm pretty sure that any traveling pro can pick up any disc and get good results with it.

That's not what I meant. I forget that you have to spell everything out on here. What I meant is that, given the chance for a Sig/Tour Disc, they will most likely pick one that they already bag (and throw well) AND that also sells well.

If a pro likes to throw a Coyote, chances are they're not going to pick that as their Sig Disc if they also throw a Teebird (and the option is there).

Does that make more sense?

While this may be true, I'm pretty sure that any traveling pro can pick up any disc and get good results with it.

Good results? Probably. Great results. Ehhhhhhhhh

I'd like to see anybody win a major bagging a Wolf, Groove, Epic, Blowfly 2, HX-1, and an Ultrastar.

My guess is the Ultrastar would be used for 90% of the throws

I'd like to see anybody win a major bagging a Wolf, Groove, Epic, Blowfly 2, HX-1, and an Ultrastar.

Why do I disagree with you on this? I think a pro could win with that bag... I really do believe it is the archer not the arrow.

This is just a guess- but for me, when I think Don Smith, I think Legacy. Don's been hustlin Legacy online and on the road for 6(ish?) years. Even though I knew he was considering a change, it still came as a bit of a shock.

Take a look at the CCDG videos on "Battle of the Eras" and "Starter Pack Challenge". McBeth, Sexton and some others used discs that they weren't used to. Yes, they did pretty well, but did have to make some adjustments to what they were using. Fun videos and very interesting experiments...

Latest posts