• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The inevitable 2020 Pros switching sponsor/DD hate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castro is actually one of my favorite players to watch, on the rare occasions that he makes coverage. A smooth, compact backhand with beautiful angle control. Seems like a genuinely nice guy too. Jomez's footage of the 3rd round of this year's Beaver State Fling was a really good showcase for him. Hope he can find a new sponsor soon. I think he's been with Innova and Lat64 in the past, before DD.

Castro is a really solid guy. 1020 rated. Became "famous" when he lost a BUNCH of weight and started touring. He is very popular on social media. He also was under the microscope when he called KJUSA on a foot fault and made a different call about someone smoking weed on the course (I think). Both were legit calls, but some people got up in arms about it.

As we discussed on the podcast, it could be that the 1020 rated player just isn't finding a place anymore in the sponsorship ladder. They may be starting to get squeezed out by the bigger contracts.

Castro is a really solid guy. 1020 rated. Became "famous" when he lost a BUNCH of weight and started touring. He is very popular on social media. He also was under the microscope when he called KJUSA on a foot fault and made a different call about someone smoking weed on the course (I think). Both were legit calls, but some people got up in arms about it.

As we discussed on the podcast, it could be that the 1020 rated player just isn't finding a place anymore in the sponsorship ladder. They may be starting to get squeezed out by the bigger contracts.

I have zero doubts that he will be picked up, and quickly. Looking at Discraft's elite team(their highest level of sponsorship), Jordan rates higher than both Austin Turner and Brian Earhart, and is within 5 points of Barham, Presnell, and Hannum. If that's the case where 1020 rated players aren't getting signed, that's a lot of great talent that is getting squeezed out.

I'd never heard of Jordan Castro before this thread. He's 1021 rated so obviously he has talent. It looks like he went 35th, 27th, 20th, 49th, 27th, 43rd, 40th, 37th and 39th in DGPT events. He went 23rd, 72nd, 35th, 5th, and 39th in NT's. He was 35th at Worlds and 79th at USDGC. His only win of the year was at a C Tier. He finished top 5 in seven of 26 events. His prize money for the year is $9,489.

A touring pro won a C-tier?!?!?

*triggered*

source.gif

I have zero doubts that he will be picked up, and quickly. Looking at Discraft's elite team(their highest level of sponsorship), Jordan rates higher than both Austin Turner and Brian Earhart, and is within 5 points of Barham, Presnell, and Hannum. If that's the case where 1020 rated players aren't getting signed, that's a lot of great talent that is getting squeezed out.

Aren't most of those guys you mentioned from Michigan? I am sure having them in your backyard helps.

Something else to mention: DD has a new tour manager, one Eric McCabe. My initial reaction to that move was "DD is about to shake some things up". In the DD scheme, Jordan may have been the one left out so to speak, with the drawing power Eric, Zach, and Chris have had this year.

I still think there's one or two more noteworthy moves about to happen.

There was the McBeth comment about there being too many sponsored players; I've been waiting to see if that was just a one-off comment or if there is any fire to that smoke.

Regarding DD, their FPO team is solid. While they could use a top MPO touring player I'm guessing they will continue to spread that money into the cheaper "street team/social team" type sponsorships where (again guessing) they get a better roi due to the sponsored players turning into social media warriors.

I imagine that depends on the company and the specific disc that person has. Discmania, I believe, sells a large amount of Night Strikes but Nate is not a top 10 pro. So are people buying the disc because of Nate or because of the disc and plastic? Bradly Williams is similarly rated, are they selling as many Nova's as Discmania is selling NS2's? How about John E. and his similar rating (sorry I don't know what John E.'s signature disc is)?

I believe that the pro can have move a serious amount if they have good media presence. Myself I'm more likely to buy a NS2 due to #1 liking the disc and appreciating Nate's commenting skills on Video. I also enjoy Brad's commentary as well but I'm less likely to buy his disc because I don't throw the NOVA. So really what i'm saying is I'm willing to throw in a couple extra dollars for a disc to support a pro if it's a disc I like followed by the pro. I'm not sure I'm the most common example though. We could probably have a vote or create a survey to get a good representation of why people buy certain discs, but that's outside my area of expertise.

I bet MJ sells a crap ton of comets.

I'm guessing that's closer to exception than rule

If a disc flys well for people, 99% of people won't care whose name is on it.

Or if there's even a name on it at all. Hell, most disc golfers don't even care if it flies well for them.

"What's the fastest thing you've got with a cool name? OOOOHHHHH, FlyDye? I'm in."

I bet MJ sells a crap ton of comets.

If a disc flys well for people, 99% of people won't care whose name is on it.

MJ sells a bunch of Comets because he is such a nice guy and plus he gets DC to run cool special stamps/runs.

He sells out usually before I even know they have been released.

It's not just Comets, remember the special run of Bangers? They sold super fast as well.... and I snagged 3

I do believe MJ is an outlier

Last edited:
I'd never heard of Jordan Castro before this thread. He's 1021 rated so obviously he has talent. It looks like he went 35th, 27th, 20th, 49th, 27th, 43rd, 40th, 37th and 39th in DGPT events. He went 23rd, 72nd, 35th, 5th, and 39th in NT's. He was 35th at Worlds and 79th at USDGC. His only win of the year was at a C Tier. He finished top 5 in seven of 26 events. His prize money for the year is $9,489.

That says a lot for the depth of disc golf that a guy can be 1021 rated and have an average finish of 38th in big events. I would have expected that a 1021-rated guy would have results littered with top 10 finishes, but he has eight all year and only one in a big event. To me that's contradictory information; a 1021 rating is really good, so why are his finishes so ordinary looking?

Looking through his ratings detail, he shoots right around 1020 a LOT. He does have some rounds in the 1040's and higher, but rarely in the same tournament.

In the modern elite pro scene, it seems like you have to average 1060 or so to take win a big tourney. Sometimes more. A guy like Castro, shooting his rating, will get into the low end of the cash regularly, but basically never make it into the podium.

Sure you will see 1020-1030 rated players winning pro tour events, but they do so by consistently outperforming their ratings throughout the tournament. And Castro never seems to string hot rounds together like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.