• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

For those wondering about MVP's market share…

It's a small sample, but at 1010 Discs, MVP/Axiom have 2 of the top 5 selling putters, mids, and fairways, and 1 of the top 5 selling distance drivers. Envy, Proxy, Hex, Reactor, Crave, Insanity, Wave.

I wonder if this is part of the Kona backlash. Both Valerie and Holyn had killer years.

100%, especially playing for the same sponsor.

Before the season even started I think most people figured Kona's deal was severely overvalued. Neither might not get that kind of money anywhere else, but I think any of us in their shoes would do the same thing…ask DD for a similar deal…if the answer is no, start looking elsewhere.

It does feel like they could legitimately say, "We deserve more than 125k a year."

Strange and tricky place for DD and Kona to be in. . she got a killer deal, the other FPO players did not. . Kona had a bad year and the other FPO players had a good years
Now everybody is leaving and soon Kona will be the only FPO player left. . . the pressure is going to be HIGH on her in 2023.

DD placed all their money in one player. . a gamble

One of the things I noticed about DD this year was that their "in the bag" videos were really late. HH's video was published on Sept 22 though it appears it had been taped at Texas States. For a company that talks a big social media game, their work is sometimes lacking while also, at the same time, seeming to demand more involvement from pros. Not sure that's the work arrangement I'd want as a pro, like Paige Shue basically said in her interview on The Upshot.

And I say this as someone who bags Escapes, Verdicts, Wardens, and Deputys.

And those angry JC videos were kind of fun. I think that counts for trying to have media presence.

Those are hilarious!

And also, how many times has The Holy Shot been viewed online? Across all platforms? Millions if not billions...yet. That's all the advertising you need. Heck, I was tempted to buy a commemorative edition Envy when I saw one in a brick & mortar for $20. And I have no interest in ever throwing an Envy!

Sample size of 1, but I think MVP is getting great advertising value out of JC.

Those are hilarious!

And also, how many times has The Holy Shot been viewed online? Across all platforms? Millions if not billions...yet. That's all the advertising you need. Heck, I was tempted to buy a commemorative edition Envy when I saw one in a brick & mortar for $20. And I have no interest in ever throwing an Envy!

Sample size of 1, but I think MVP is getting great advertising value out of JC.

even jomboy did a video on it

I must be the only one who thought it was not funny. To each their own I suppose.

His is the kind of behavior that should be encouraged not discouraged.

I believe elmex was referring to the holy shot.

But I do agree, more holy shots are greatly encouraged.

I wonder if this is part of the Kona backlash. Both Valerie and Holyn had killer years.

Very possibly. I don't get the Kona hate on here though. She seems plenty likeable. DD backed the Brink's truck up and she took the money. Anyone on here would've done the same. Her putting might suck, but her negotiating must be top notch ;)

Valerie is probably my favorite FPO player to watch besides Kristen. Hope she lands in a good spot.

Very possibly. I don't get the Kona hate on here though. She seems plenty likeable. DD backed the Brink's truck up and she took the money. Anyone on here would've done the same. Her putting might suck, but her negotiating must be top notch ;)

Valerie is probably my favorite FPO player to watch besides Kristen. Hope she lands in a good spot.

I think Kona sets a weird "standard" with her contract.

When Paul got his, nobody could say " i have done what he has done so i want a contract like that" . . Ricky got the same deal but i dont think he´s at Pauls level of marketability.
But with Kona MANY players can say that their on her level. .

It has happened many times at my work that a new person gets hired straight out of school with no experience and still got payed more than people that has been at the company for years. . .and things like that DO piss people of.

I think Kona sets a weird "standard" with her contract.

When Paul got his, nobody could say " i have done what he has done so i want a contract like that" . . Ricky got the same deal but i dont think he´s at Pauls level of marketability.
But with Kona MANY players can say that their on her level. .

It has happened many times at my work that a new person gets hired straight out of school with no experience and still got payed more than people that has been at the company for years. . .and things like that DO piss people of.

Hear me out here. Or reread what you're quoting me on. People are giving Kona s*** for signing a contract that was offered to her. Then after signing she's not "living" up to that contract. Was it in her contract that she had to make lead card X amount of times a year? Asking because I don't know.

I wish everyone who plays disc golf for a living well. But Kona signing that contract is just a no brainier. A year after the fact, when she didn't do great, to think she's "stealing" money from other players that placed better more often is illogical. It's just dumb. DD can be called dumb for the contract. Kona can't. Kona's the smartest person not in the room.

I know you're European. But this an an American football analogy that's playing out currently. Kona is the Russel Wilson of the NFL.

Hear me out here. Or reread what you're quoting me on. People are giving Kona s*** for signing a contract that was offered to her. Then after signing she's not "living" up to that contract. Was it in her contract that she had to make lead card X amount of times a year? Asking because I don't know.

I wish everyone who plays disc golf for a living well. But Kona signing that contract is just a no brainier. A year after the fact, when she didn't do great, to think she's "stealing" money from other players that placed better more often is illogical. It's just dumb. DD can be called dumb for the contract. Kona can't. Kona's the smartest person not in the room.

I know you're European. But this an an American football analogy that's playing out currently. Kona is the Russel Wilson of the NFL.

Kona did what everybody should have, super smart move by her. . .but i dont really get DDs move.
As most europeans i cant name a single NFL player ;)

Looks like DD lost most FPO players and i dont really see how they can get any new ones.

Simon to Innova, they are going to have the Simon line and just bring back the Discmania molds, the names weren't enough trolling, they are going to drop a million a year just to mess with Discmania. LOL

Simon to innova would mean that he could still rock the yellow and red PD. That thing probably account's for half his drives.

Latest posts