• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] The Inevitable "Your 2017 Bag" Thread

Just for fun this winter I'm throwing a trilogy bag. Never did an 'all one company' bag on purpose before so kind of a fun change. I'm actually finding that I really, really like some of the discs and they very well might stick around into the season.

170 TP Giant (x2) - just a tick of hyzer and they flip up and go forever on a line drive. distance + control = gud
172 Elasto Giant - more overstable, less glide than the TP. Might put a scythe in this slot to fight the wind.
172 TP King - great tailwind driver
175 biofuzion felon, 175 lucid felon - most versatile overstable disc I've thrown. definitely earned it's place
175 lucid convict, 175 fuzion convict - really nice control driver, DD really hit the nail on the head with this one. A tick slower with a tick more turn than a fresh S-line PD. very controllable in a lot of conditions.
175 opto river, 175 moonshine river - good understable driver, and the moonshine is a really good roller for me too

177 zero hard mace, 172 goldline mace - loving the zero hard mace. has the hss that I wanted a ghost to have. if the anchor comes out in zero hard or retro might give that a look too.
176 lucid evidence - really underrated midrange. understable but not flippy, fast enough to bomb on a hyzer flip also.

174 bt med harp (x2) - one new, one with a season of wear. most consistent approach disc I've ever used.
And, a bunch of judges - these have been in the bag for years now, no intention of switching.

I started this year by taking all of my discs out of my bag. All 200 or so discs that I have are now in the running for my 2017 bag.

I am trying to build my bag without bias and actually use what is best for my game. We'll see where this ends up, I hope to have it settled before my first tournament.

I plan to commit to whatever I pick and really learn my bag this season. In the past it has been like musical chairs.

My bag is now complete. Not too many changes, but a few. It was fun throwing every disc that I own. Comparing my 2016 to my 2017 bag:

Wizards (same as last year, strictly for Putting)
Proxy (replaced my Pures)
Jokeri (Same as last year)
MD3 (carry 3, I dropped the Mortar however)
Patriot (re-introduced for tunnel shots, it had been out of the bag for a while)
Rival (Carry 3, my main workhorse, carried 3 last year)
Trident (Had been out of my bag for a while, took over OS mid and OS fairway shots)
Mongoose (New to bag, for huge annys, rollers, and big tail winds)
Valkyrie (1st time I have ever bagged it, more distance than a fairway and so controllable)
PD (Old S-line, used when wind picks up too much for a Rival. It was in my 2016 bag)
Firebird (went from 2 to 1, dropped my FAF because it is too overstable, just use a 2016 Sexton)
Wraith (Went from 3 to 2, I am using one understable and one stable straight)
Giant (stayed with 2, for Forehand and OS backhand duties)
Nuke OS (been in bag for five years, used overhand, utility and windy day forehand)

Not a ton of changes, but a few were big. Never thought I'd take the Pure out but, the Proxy is the best driving putter I have ever thrown

And, a bunch of judges - these have been in the bag for years now, no intention of switching.

The crown has changed my mind on this. I was messing with the swan2 for a putter but it doesn't work for me very consistently unless I drastically change my putting style. The crown works well for my putt, and is a lot more comfortable than the large beaded judge.

I think I have what I need for now. I'll only be buying new discs to replace my existing ones for the time being.

Drivers:
162g Fission Volt (straight drives with little wind)
175g Proton Crave (straight drives where there's wind)
155g Opto Air River (turnovers, anhyzers, and strong tailwind drives)
172g Neutron Resistor (hyzer drives, overhands, & powered-down hyzer approaches)
139g StarLite Valkyrie (backhand rollers)

Mids:
167g R-Pro Roc+ (straight & anyhyzer approaches)

Putters:
160g Yeti Pro Aviar (tail- or no-wind putts)
167g Neutron Proxy (windy putts & short approaches)

Since I only drive about 290 that's probably enough.

Putters; Just ordered two PP2s and an XP1x. Previously I had; a Zone, a Swan, a Judge, a Warden, a Magnet. Bought a few putters about a year and a half ago just to see what I like; swapping out the old for some new Discmania!

Mids; Pro-Roc, an MD3, 3 Buzzzes. (Eventually will add an MD2 and MD)

Fairway and Drivers; 12x Teebird, Thunderbird, Beast-X, FD3. Looking to add a CD2, CD3, FD2, etc.

Eventually I'll probably switch my entire bag to Discmania/Innova solely.

Putters:
175 Wizard SS x2 (putting only)
172 Wizard Evo Plat (straight to slightly os drives)
172 Voodoo SS (straight to US drives/ups)
175 Pig Pro (OS drives/ups that sits, short flicks,)

Mids:
177 BuzzzOS Ti (OS mid for more skip than pig)
175 BuzzzOS ProD (straight to OS)
177 Buzzz Ti-Flx (straight to US)
174 Buzzz ProD (super flippy)

Fairway/Control:
168 Sidewinder Star (super beat, rollers, US utility)
175 River Gold (US, flip to flat..to turn, glidy easy distance)
175 Rival Icon (holds straight, then some fade)
172 Culverin Gold (longer rival)
171 Culverin Gold (longer rival more beat, s-lines)
175 Firebird Glow (OS but manageable)
171 Whippet-X Star (get left now, utility, flicks)

Distance:
174 Outlaw Pinn (straight with fade, may tern but not much, flick distance)
174 Outlaw Icon (S-lines, workhorse)
165 Outlaw Pinn (max distance, flip to flat, turnovers, rollers)

A little uncertain with what I want to do for mids, maybe go back to rocs. I keep reaching for putters/fairways instead of them. Still like my bag as is though.

Distance Drivers:
Pro Tern
G* Tern
Pro Orc
Bio Renegade - working this in as a roller

Control Drivers and Fairways:
Lucid Convict
Lucid Escape
DX Thunderbird - Probably going to swap this, or at least add a star for more OS
Opto XXX
Pinnacle Rival - not a big fan of the pinnacle plastic I dont think. This is new to the bag so
Im gonna work with it some
Icon Rival
TP Seer
Opto Trident

Mids:
Bard
Opto Compass (gave it away. Probably adding another. Has just enough more left fade than the claymore to throw both.
Opto Claymore
Retro Claymore

Putters:
BT Hard Harp
Opto Pure
2x Classic Judges
Zero Hard Pure

KC Aviar x2
XG Champion Rhyno
Champion Glow BB Aviar
XT Nova
Recon Mortar
Star Roc3
Champion Roc3 x2
Champion Mako3
Champion Teebird x4
Luster Firebird
Sexton Firebird
C-PD x2
Champion Destroyer x2
Star Destroyer x4
I just got an Grip AX15 so I can carry a couple more disc now compared to my A-Series. This was my bag setup until it warmed up. After playing my first 2 tourneys this years it changed slightly. This is what I'll be go with for the rest of the tournament season. I switched back to a Roc cycle. I just don't do as well with Roc3s. I'm still debating switching to McPro or DX Aviars for putting. I seem to hit longer putts with them over my KCs. For now the KCs are staying in.

KC Aviar x2
GStar Aviar Driver
(San Marino) Champion Rhyno
XT Nova
Champion Atlas
KC Roc x3
Champion USDGC Roc
Recon Mortar
Champion Leopard3
Champion Teebird x3
C-PD x2
Champion Firebird x3
Champion Destroyer x2
Star Destroyer x5

Rhbh
Current setup something like this

-"Go right"
175 g* wedge
-mid rips
175 KC pro roc
180 flat top kc pro roc

-Fairway
Cheetah/Viking or two/eagle if I'm having fun.
banshees/teebird/f3/ more serious

Distance
175. Stiff champ beastx
175 pro sl
165 champ SF
175 star SF (beefier)
Champ teerex-x
172 "champ" queen
Champion xcaliber (max crush)

-Putts
Gummy blend soft champ aviar
G* rhyno

A cobra or destroyer if I'm feeling it may pop in there.

Been doing lots of switching over the last 2 years, have an all Gateway lineup now, also trying to simplify from earlier years.

Putt: SSS Wizard x2
Approach: Soft Shaman, Firm Eraser Devilhawk
Mid-range: Evo Platinum Element, Evo Platinum Karma
Fairway: Evo Platinum Scout (it's a mid, but good tweener and sidearm disc), HPP Blaze
Distance: Assassin x 3 (Evo Platinum, Evo Diamond, Evo Overmold), HPP Slayer

May add a Warspear if they do some really soft ones, would be good for more straddle/spin putts, and if they get the new Diablos down in the 160's might have to kick the Blaze out and that will go in for overhand and OS utility.

Pretty much the same as 2016, only addition is a new special blend rival. It's less stable than my other rivals and slots in well between my existing rivals/patriots.

2 Outlaws (Sparkle, Pinnacle)
2 PD's (S-line, C-line)
2 Firebirds (11X, CE)
2 Rivals (Pinnacle, SB)
2 Patriots (Icon, Pinnacle)
1 Nemesis (Sparkle)
1 Gator (old pearly Champ)
2 Ghosts (Protege, Gravity)
1 Comet (X)
2 Scales (Armor, Fossil)
4 Wizards (2 throwers 2 putters, all S or SS)

For 2017 I've gone back to my roots and am throwing the molds I know best.

Kc AVIAR(color glow)
Nova
Roc3(champ and swirly star)
Comet(z and x)
Leopard 3(color glow)
Teebird(color glow)
Sexton birds and 11x bird
Destroyers

also have a concave glow max for utility shots and a dd2 for rollers.

I added some Electron Anodes to the bag. Really hoping to find something more OS to replace the Vector. Need something to compliment my Buzzz.

A few years ago I eliminated a mold from my bag because it overlapped everything (fds/xls, comets, ions). I have never quite thrown the same. I put one back in the bag for a fun round and it was like coming home. Welcome the Buzzz back to the line up.

My basic bag is now with other plastics/wear levels added when needed)

Rask
GrymX
Grym

Pred
CD2

Kaxe
Buzzz
Comet

Reko
Berg
Polecat

I added some Electron Anodes to the bag. Really hoping to find something more OS to replace the Vector. Need something to compliment my Buzzz.

If you want a flat topped, no/micro bead, similar speed mid thats long, straight and healthy fade the verdict was the best buzzz-ish mid I tried.

My bag has been changed up a bit, but I've been playing well with this setup so I think it'll stick:

-Classic Judges for putting/upshots
-Lucid Judge for driving

-Meteor for US midrange shots
-3 Compasses, one pretty straight, one straight with fade, and one a tad US
-Drone, for obvious reasons

-River for tunnels and US fairway shots
-Thunderbird for straight shots up to about 400
-Sparks for OS fairway duties

-Star Destroyers for really OS shots
-Z Nuke for a tighter bomber line, X Nuke for open field shots. Hit 500 on a course for the first time this year with the Z on a flex line on hole 18 at Elm Creek.

My sig is my 2017 bag.
But I just threw my new fuzion judge and that thing is a sweet driving putter.
Also threw a champ destroyer for the first time and that ain't bad either.

Putters
Zero Hard or Medium Pure (Always have 2 or 1 of each)
Recycled Pure
VIP Harp
Mids
Proto M4
GL Core
Champion Roc3
Lucid Justice
Fairway/Control
Opto River
Champion TeeBird
Champion Thunderbird
Opto Saint and Saint Pro
VIP Longbowman
Dyemax Felon
Recycled Northman and Saint
Distance
Champion Krait
VIP Sorcerer
Star Wraith
GStar Destroyer
Sometimes
EchoStar Valkyrie
Z Heat
Z Stalker
R-Pro Dart

I switch it up based on open or wooded, and how the wind is blowing that day.

I've changed it up a little.

Sirius scorpius
Recycled hatchet
Couple sextons
Champ eagle x
CE eagle L (way more overstable than the champ X)
QJLS/MJLS
3 rocs
Mortar
3 classic aviars

The CE eagle is the biggest surprise. Man it's beefy. Heck of a wind disc for me, flex shots, thumpers. It's really useful now that I got past the "the X should be more OS than this?!?" mindset.

Latest posts