• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] The MVP Spin is the Comet of putters..

Is the Spin the Comet of putters?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThrowaEnvy

GyrO Activation Technician.
Premium Member
So I feel sad for the Spin? thread.. Who clicks on that... I throw my Spin consistently as MVPs least stable putter and available all the way down to 150 weight. It is an awesome disc that I don't see getting the kind of love it deserves.

Mines been ITB for at least six months, 166 proton (champ) plastic it is worn in to the point where it will hold any angle for me, sample size of one... It shapes any shot I can use a Comet for just at shorter distance. It responds the same to nose up as a Comet would.. Just at slower speed.

In short the Spin is the closest putter I've thrown to the Comet. How do you feel about that?

Last edited:
The comet holds a very special place in my heart and my bag will never be without one. That being said, I have found my comet-in-putter-form to be the habit by plastic addicts. It throws exactly like a comet but slower. So it's perfect for running the basket from 200 feet and in or throwing controlled hyzer flips or turn overs or gentle hyzer approaches. It's especially good on drives on technical courses where missing trees is important!

Which makes sense considering it's an old discraft mold.

Tl;dr habit by plastic addicts is a baby comet and I love it

The comet holds a very special place in my heart and my bag will never be without one. That being said, I have found my comet-in-putter-form to be the habit by plastic addicts. It throws exactly like a comet but slower. So it's perfect for running the basket from 200 feet and in or throwing controlled hyzer flips or turn overs or gentle hyzer approaches. It's especially good on drives on technical courses where missing trees is important!

Which makes sense considering it's an old discraft mold.

Tl;dr habit by plastic addicts is a baby comet and I love it

I'm pretty sure the Habit is the unused Zeppelin mold from an ace race...and I agree with all of this. Such a great mold

IIRC, someone once described the Habit as the offspring of a Comet and Zephyr mating.

Yeah I think I heard that I was the old zeppelin mold too. Whatever mold it is, everyone needs one either to practice their form or too throw buttery smooth "what did you throw there" throws

The correct answer to "(blank) is the Comet of putters" is the APX. Has been for the last 20 years. :|

To further add confusion...

The Magnet is the Z Comet of putters and the APX is the X Comet of putters.

I feel like the Comet is the putter of mids...

Because so many putters when worked in can fly that dead straight line and take all the power you have. And when beat in can do that slow turnover for the whole flight.

But the Comet does it best in the wider diameter mid class.

Basically there are a ton of putters that I could switch to and throw those straight lines with, no problem. Sure there are differences in hand feel and how long they beat in, etc. But there aren't that many mids that can do that same thing.

The closest MVP/Axiom disc, other than hand feel, to a Comet is the Anode. It still doesn't have the low speed glide of a Comet though.

The closest I have thrown, low speed, is a Polecat. High speed is the Banger GT.

Caveat: I have not thrown the APX, nor probably will I, as it is compared to the feel of an Aviar.

To further add confusion...

The Magnet is the Z Comet of putters and the APX is the X Comet of putters.

I can get behind that I think never thrown an APX I thought it was more stable than a magnet but that sounds acceptable..

I think the Proxy is more 'comet-like' - I did not like the spin, but that's me - its the weird rim and grip - I cannot stand the rounded top - Proxy is the Straightest (slightly understable) floaty awesome approach disc of this decade

I don't care about hand feel haha I care about flight.. And no the Proxy is great but not the right answer it likes to fly straight too well.

The closest MVP/Axiom disc, other than hand feel, to a Comet is the Anode. It still doesn't have the low speed glide of a Comet though.

The closest I have thrown, low speed, is a Polecat.

Polecat is an acceptable answer for discussion the Anode is not, it is also likely to fly straight even with a little anhyzer.. Too much Aviar not enough Comet.

I also think the Zeppelin? Is too midish I am instantly curious about it I saw F. Howl did a review on Infinite discs and it sounds interesting but I haven't thrown it.

I feel like the Comet is the putter of mids...

Because so many putters when worked in can fly that dead straight line and take all the power you have. And when beat in can do that slow turnover for the whole flight.

But the Comet does it best in the wider diameter mid class.

Definitely. There's lots that I have beat into shape too, tree by tree Z Comet and Z Spin it's a very similar break in.. They are both great out of the box and better after six months. Both fly great with clean power and hold the line. It's important too that the putter has as much capability for hyzer, anhyzer,glide and power resistance as the Comet on a flat line just shorter range...

Last edited:
I was going to say Polecat too. It takes all my "Comet but slower" shots.

I haven't had luck with the Reef (same mold as APX, if I'm not mistaken), but probably got a D-line dud. I enjoyed watching Brad Schick throw some amazing shots with his old APXs, but they looked beefier than Comet lines.

The Pure is another possibility, but it's a mid-putter to the Comet's putter-mid. Maybe it's like a super beefy Comet.

The correct answer to "(blank) is the Comet of putters" is the APX. Has been for the last 20 years. :|

This is my vote as well. I also agree with slowplastic. The beauty of the Comet is that it gives you putter precision with wide midrange glide and range.

To throw throwaenvy a bone the Spin is absolutely a very Comet-like putter though.

I've only thrown a Comet a couple times. The one I threw was very comparable to my Champion Stingray.

So when I want that sort of flight at a shorter distance I go for a somehwhat beat in DX Aviar P & A.

If the Spin works that well for the OP, that's great.

So if APX is out of production does that mean the Spin is the front runner by default? Haha

How different is the Spin from the APX?