• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ThrowaEnvy straightening out my Gyro bag for summer

Which Axiom Driver to try: I have all MVP drivers...

• Insanity

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Wrath

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Vanish

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Defy

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Tenacity

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
I'm not much for tournaments, so take this with a grain of salt. But I found that giving myself fewer choices in a tournament was a good thing.

As was having a backup for any absolutely critical discs I might lose during the round.

I am sure you will choose and play well. :)

Yeah you're right, play it smart. Play small bag. I'll do a putt off and pick my backup envy.

Slim down to my reg bag with 3 drivers for the main course. Load a couple alternate drivers for the bolf course. I only need a driver for 5/27 on the main. Definitely shaky on drivers since I've been playing mids all winter on the home course. Weird to not be having a feel for the insanity and relay.

I feel odd that so much of my bag overlaps with you old fogies......

But great choices so far. Waves are the best. Insanities are a close second. I could do all my work off the tee with those two. Curious that you two don't click.

Best of luck with the tourney! Maybe lay off the heavy drinking that day. Orrrrrr. Maybe not.....lol

Probably play sober first round, take beer for the second, golf course is right around the corner from my house....

Yeah I don't know what's up with the insanity, it's been my main driver all winter. Too many nose ups and bad snaps. I think I'm going to take it to my bottom field and give it another go with a few backup waves. Maybe pull out my Blue Plaz Mono wave 162g. I think the most distance I will get will be the wave.

Any thoughts on the wave for rollers?

Stupid wind is picking up again... May be an entropy in the backup bag too. I'm scared of the distance and the wind haha. Last time I played the golf course it was the provincials with 80km + winds. It was miserable haha.

Thanks for the help! Final bag.

picture.php

Went with a fresh 175 e soft envy for backup. Cosmic electron soft and plasma ash are the #1's

Mids earned their place yesterday.

K1 soft falk takes relay 2nd position but it's headwind understable. No actual relays :(

Lavender 155 fission tesla is the go to. Taking relay duties for the sloppy. 163 fission tesla is the FH slot.

155 pp plasma wave is prime driver, backed up by the sexy pp mono blue plaz 162 (downhill). Turnover and upshot 148 se fission wave 3rd tier, possible roller.

Se cosmic insanity, spin and Falk are security blankets or extra discs. :D

Last edited:
Ok notes to self and others who want to listen...

Magic disc doesn't exist haha, after a few days of hurried prep the plasma wave didn't entirely deliver. Haha. Tried a few more with the light wave, mixed results, bad timing, bad time to ride the razors edge.

Took and tried the insanity, not bad. Tried to stick with a staple. Didn't entirely pan out. Few good, few on the wrong side of mediocre or a tree.

When things go bad, gear back and/or stable up. Fission 163 tesla did some solid FH duty. Good to throw something that is consistently stable... when the wind picked up 50/60km it was not stable enough but a good bet.

Stayed away from the 155 PP fission tesla for too long, pulled it out for "whatever" shots at the long course. Made good tight S distance, probably some of my best distance. Nothing tricky but good time for a workhorse. Should have played it for my prime driver and just stopped kidding myself about extra distance. Placement was excellent.

Took a 155 relay against my better (bad) judgement.. Should have pulled it out of the bag sooner. Got decent distance and perfect lines as long as I wanted straight. Turned over too much on the steep downhill. Maybe pack a cosmic relay 2nd next time, or use the tesla. Throwing it felt like the Comet tuneup.

Might have missed the plasma inertia...but the tesla filled the role. More turn on tesla than cosmic 158 insanity.

The comet, it wasn't it, it was me. Had some decent throws but I think I was suffering from nose up. Should have thrown it in a few places where I went uplink. Came out more stable than I expected but my posture/ balance was poor. Didn't fall back on it like I normally would, but many holes weren't Comet length.

Hex I didn't throw but wish I'd had for a putter when the wind picked up. I dumped it after round 1.

Tried to switch off putters from 165g plasma ash to new 175g electron soft envy when I got the shakes after a few close misses. First try slipped chains for a 4. Went back and forth. Hit one long bird with it. Adequate but weirdly firm/greasy with the chains. Maybe too fresh. Should have taken a backup plasma but it did some nice approaches. Maybe a heavy (low plh) eclipse like the rainbow one. Weight was an asset in the wind.

It came down to Tesla/Relay Envy/envy.

(Right so last time I played the bolf course it was gale force winds and miserable, started off as a nice day. Then the wind and hail and miserable. As I stepped up to the first tee it was a downhill FH . I pulled out my heavy fission tesla and proceeded to turn it over a little. Ended up throwing it for the first few holes and instantly thought of Moose.. Haha. I should have bagged something more ridiculously OS, that wind was no joke!

Luckily it let up and turned back into a nice day. Found some OB and they shortened the teepad for us MA40's on the most fun hole ever, instead of top of the hill it was at the bottom, I felt thoroughly ripped off. Haha +2 bolf course, -2 reg course. So dead even at par.

Took a relay, I should have pulled it out sooner. 155 Relay and 155 fission tesla make excellent complements.

The fresh e soft envy slipped through the chains for a 4 and tried 3 more times but stuck. After a few good pre tourney days the prime driver hopes for the 155 plasma wave were misplaced. Both fission teslas did a lot of work.)

*from MVP thread

So small bag, Relay, Tesla, Envy, accept a fading arm especially if you are playing cold. Take something stupid OS for open courses.

Last edited:
So now I have a quandary.

The fission tesla numbers are 9 5 -1.5 2
Every other Tesla 9 5 -1 2
Fission volt 8 5 -1 2
Volt 8 5 -0.5 2

I want to explore the tesla more but I need more wind resistance, going to test drive my old proton, 157 neutron, and og 155 plasma meathook.

I'm considering the wrath 9 4.5 -0.5 2 looks good but I'm ready for more mold minimalism. I need to find out how the new plasma tesla's are molding up, got a 155 in the shopping cart haha. It will either be beefy or a suitable backup for my og fizz 155.. I'm really unfamiliar with the proton, thrown the other plastics just not the new "in house" ones.

I notice my old proton which is gummy and sexy and the pfn plasma both have very flat tops. Maybe I can fight the wind better with a beefy tesla. Maybe I'm wasting my time and should add another mold. If there isn't wind though my bag is pretty solid.

I hate getting my ass handed to me in the wind. I really should have learned by now to have something ridiculOS. My hope is to be able to throw 3-4 teslas with a relay or 2 and one insanity/wave/distance flavour of the week.

Last edited:
Seriously thinking about filling a bag with envy and tesla. They are good for me to stay away from swishy shots. The both like nose down with some power. I think if I use a beat 167 Envy and 174 soft electron with a 167 plasma and then add a 174 neutron or eclipse I can fill out a lot of slots.

Same thing with the Tesla, go with my two favourites fissions 155, 163. Knock in a 158 neutron SE, 155 pp plasma or a fresh 166 neutron (that I don't own yet). Got a backup 152 and 162 streaky fission as well as a few more SE N and a proton. Might start looking for more pp plasma in lighter weights to bring the beef but lets see what a heavy neutron does first.

I've got a ton of discs I can pull out for wind... just need to find a tesla that OH a bit straighter with a flatter top for 2 holes haha, but I'm counting on some stable double duty as well. I think my 158 N will be that disc, hoping the 166 would work though because it slots into the bag more naturally for the heavy wind slot.

Maybe fill the gap with an Uplink and a Relay.

At this point it is almost impossible to put the uplink down. Just peppering #5 here with em, waiting for an ace. It's also filling in the Spin slot. The more I get into the electron soft envy the less need I have for the Spin. It's glide has always been lackluster but it's angle holding abilities and hyzer flips are awesome and fun, soft electron Envy glides better and does straight on a dime, the uplink does the same thing as the Spin except the putts, and holds a long long turn with crazy distance. Uplink/Comet/Hex is overlappy as all heck but very useful in the mid slots.

Uplink/Hex are stealing shots from the relay. Maybe I should try OH the relay but i hate to do that to my "precision BH driver".

Last edited:
Yes I am starting to understand why people say the Envy is stealing their midrange throws. And the Hex is starting to steal some fairway driver shots, too.

My Firm/Medium Electron yard Envies are starting to beat into straight. Now I kinda wish I had used the Electron Softs as yard Envies, 'cuz I really prefer a beat stable putter for putting and right-drifty approach shots. Oh well.

The simple solution is to buy more haha.

I tripped across 2 yellow ones (e soft envy) on two separate days at the gas station. Fairly happy with the yellows so now I guess I have a cycle going. As long as I don't throw em on two holes they should last for a while. Be fun to see how far I can beat one in a year. I resisted because of the damage but I can't resist the flight.

Ok so the backups are pretty much set for my mold flings of the season the tesla, and the uplink. I ordered up today, two fission tesla 158 and 164, a plasma 157 and a neutron 167. Snagged a 183 se uplink, heaviest one Ive seen.

If stuff goes wrong I have a more than adequate stash of inertia, insanity, and old fission photons, the wave may also reappear. See how the season goes. I have high hopes for the new fission but it sounds "stable" . Snagged a few of the last stiff run and they are stable but not overly, like 6 months should get em straightened out. Start working a cycle like my envy.

Speaking of which, not sure how I feel about my "yard envy's" for putting right now. Ha or driving, they sure go far and don't fade fast enough. They fly like ohms, putt like it too haha. Need more hyzer. I think we have possibly reached a point in the cycle to bring a new one in, maybe red top.. Something to match my uplinks. Haha my yellow envy should be next in line, it's already inked and getting sweet but I don't feel like pulling out my yellow uplink from the mailer bag.

Ended up messaging Jeff Malton a bunch today, he found another scorpion for me. Real nice fella, love to meet some of all these internet guys irl one day. He vividly remembers Glenn Whitlock around 91 telling him how to live for $6 a day as a pro golfer. Apparently Glenn won 5 events one season and bought his VW. Anyhow what a great community we have.

Rotated the red plasma envy out of the putting box into the yard box. It's reasonably broken in, got some stretch, got some bite. It's nice. The colours work better for my red vs green or yellow etc for the nightly rounds.

Got first flights on the new fission tesla, they are decent and stable. The plasma is great ootb

Time to get my season started :D threw a few favourite comets in the yard box as well.. 2yrs ago they were trashers then they got nice haha. I've been beating in a 21 MJ all winter but the esp is still better for cool spring temps. Played a nice comet only round yesterday and it's tuning the shots back in.

I just keep on having fun with the uplink, it's vulnerable to wind but very predictable in its understability, the 177+ weight helps. It's also catering to some of my nose up problems/habits. In any event my backup is starting to lose some hss so it holds the line better and I just really enjoy them. I can get my angles right at least 70 percent of the time. It's a staple for the nightly rounds.

Had a lot of unique anhyzers and hyzer flips that have just peppered the basket. The distance is also really good for me it slots in just under the relay, the natural turn really stretches my lines.

The comet is still more reliable and useful, I think I'm sticking with the 3 mids setup for now. Seems excessive but the comet and hex won't leave and the uplink is too much fun to not play with. I need to control my shot selection though in competitive rounds, less uplink.

So many ace runs with it and still no aces...

Tourney is in 2 weeks, need to settle and practice with the bag on the nightly's, or move some yard discs into the playing bag.

Last edited:
Putting has started, grass is cut, weeds whipped, the basket has been moved, less than a week to polish up.

I was just looking back here to see my last tourney setup and notes... there's a 155 fireball and a 159 reactor in my future, God help me if I'm dumb enough to bag em (or even throw em) when they show. The yard box is full of my best discs, that should be (usually are) in my bag :D Feels great to pull out my favourite envy, I've been smacking great putts. Probably going to back it up with the red pp plasma 167 maybe the eclipse 174 rainbow (better for wind and fh)

Hex and uplink both have bag space, auditioning a couple comets but I don't think I will play em again, too much nose up uplink fun lately. My angles are off for comets. Sticking with my first fission teslas, 155/162. Might add the 158 neutron for hammers. 2 maybe 3 relays.

Auditioning the cosmic 157 insanity vs 155 plasma inertia as a gap filler. Real tempted to try it against the 143 fission photon. Insanity should be in the space though if only for hole 14 and 27 I need the extra 10' haha.

I hope I have the strength to not fill my bag with stuff I don't need.

picture.php

Thinking everything below and right of the bag is in.. They have all been thrown in the last month more than a few times.

The uplink turned fickle today, had a few bumps and I thought the love affair might continue but then it got nasty haha. A couple times I had the line dialed in and hit the one rando tree, a couple times it was on line and just went too far, a couple times I overestimated the turn, three of those times I threw at my buddy Leuch.. that was in the group ahead of us.

So tourney troubles, I want to lean on the uplink but I really want to throw the spin back in the bag that I haven't thrown for a couple months.. (Whenever I got the uplink :) )

Saw lots of friends and a ton of people bagging gyro now.. I'd say the numbers have doubled, real happy to see all those black rims. The disc vendor that showed up was also MVP heavy, last time 3 yrs ago they left their MVP/axiom at home because they only had so much trailer space. Snagged another 157 fission tesla from the new run. I probably should have looked for a plasma in retrospect.

Threw my 157 N fireball for tonight's round, very impressed, it will turn a bit FH or BH but it takes some juice, it will dump fast rather than pan. Very limiting on my distance, I probably lose 30'. So 220' maybe haha.

Banged a tourney ace on #21 with a cosmic electron soft envy. Straight under a tree, over a tree little turn little fade at 180'

My favourite 165 envy is a little too straight to putt, nice for driving but missing "pro side" by inches on the pins, I think I will take the Halloween black widow 172 for backup tomorrow. Nothing compensates for lack of practice like a heavier disc :D

Hex and insanity are out

Last edited:
Well went back and laid down a redemption round. Played with a more "pro" group on a good pace. We were all keeping up to each other, some good 90's tunes, played with Tony, Joe S and Alicia. I watched Alicia a lot, she has a nice clean form with a good spin and shoulder rotation, we have a similar power level and I think I've ironed out a little bit of where my drives/form should be heading. It clicked in a little for the first time in months. Tony bagged an Ace and he's currently tied in top spot for masters when I left. Good players, good group, good round. 79 (-2) yesterday, 65 (-16) today 144 total. That's either my top round or one stroke off from 10yrs ago. Of course that was either -15/-17 or -14/16 I can't remember haha, but it was the two best rounds of my life and I laid em down in a tourney a decade ago.

Took the uplink, went too far again for a 4 (shoulda been 3) and I benched it. Went crazy and pulled out my 165 spin cold, it slipped in seamlessly. Missed an ace on #1 by inches and rolled down down down the hill, got the spin upshot for 3. Leaned hard on the electron soft envy for many approaches, the spin for the couple tricky ones.
The Relay did a ton of work, the heavy envy did a lot for tap ins, came in low but on center, no rim bounces. It was a good choice when going from baskets to the "heritage 9" tonals.

Final bag was
Ash Envy, E soft envy, N 172 black widow envy, P spin
Uplink (meh)
Calvin and Hobbes relay, 155 and 162 pp fizz tesla

picture.php

Well I made the big time! I don't know if everyone gets the same daily wisdom but it's funny. Today would have been Margarita Open Doubles at my place if I was hosting, which we decided not to. 10yrs was a good run, its nice not having to do it and get a day to relax. Maybe next year.

picture.php

Who a y'all has got a teeoff 40' from your front porch? Meehan!! (Friggin what autocorrect?) Yeehaw!! !!!! Haha.. What is this world coming to?

I looked at my profile, suddenly I was playing for 34 yrs.. I've been playing since I was 12.. I wrote down 2005 for a relative experience thing when I joined DGCR since that's when I got a putter...

One of the mods changed it for me, but it was like wham!!! Math!!! Kinda like when my dad lost 2yrs of his life when he argued about how old he was with his mom at Christmas.. He pulls out his drivers license and Wham!! 2yrs in a blink. I've been discing for a long goddam time.

Thanks mods!!!

As far as the bag goes.. 3 discs..
Envy (premium 167g-170), uplink neutron soft 180, tesla (feeling plasma 155g these days)

Envy is a fiend, bought a bunch I don't need, some jc cosmic 21 misprint neutron 167. Nice.. Backup cosmic soft electron envy, very nice. Prototype electron glow 174, lights out mutha#####a.

Soft uplink brings me Joy, just a great complement touch disc. I can hit relay kind of lines and distance or snap it up short and thump the rough. Eyeballing a 170g soft to see what I can really do with it, maybe it can take out the spin.. But dangerous distance potential. Not a razors edge but it doesnt throw great drunk...

Tesla, still a backbone mold, especially light. If I dont feel like risking my fission fr, ..FR's.... The plasma is a decent ride. Sure wish I hadn't procrastinated on the yellow 155, this green was the best colour left :D

Who a y'all has got a teeoff 40' from your front porch?

Not me, that's for sure. But our front yard is a wide-open putter driving range? :|

As far as the bag goes.. 3 discs..
Envy (premium 167g-170), uplink neutron soft 180, tesla (feeling plasma 155g these days)

Kudos for the simplicity!

Envy is a fiend, bought a bunch I don't need, some jc cosmic 21 misprint neutron 167. Nice.. Backup cosmic soft electron envy, very nice. Prototype electron glow 174, lights out mutha#####a.

Envy is not leaving my bag any time soon. I like Soft Electron cuz I like grippy putters. A few more pavement skips and a yard Envy might replace my Proxy.

Soft uplink brings me Joy, just a great complement touch disc. I can hit relay kind of lines and distance or snap it up short and thump the rough. Eyeballing a 170g soft to see what I can really do with it, maybe it can take out the spin.. But dangerous distance potential. Not a razors edge but it doesnt throw great drunk...

Well I had trouble throwing the Uplink sober, so . . . ;)

Tesla, still a backbone mold, especially light. If I dont feel like risking my fission fr, ..FR's.... The plasma is a decent ride. Sure wish I hadn't procrastinated on the yellow 155, this green was the best colour left :D

Man, I have tried Tesla couple of times and it just doesn't go far for me. More power to you if you can get it to fly (literally, more power to you). :D

Not me, that's for sure. But our front yard is a wide-open putter driving range? :|

Kudos for the simplicity!

Envy is not leaving my bag any time soon. I like Soft Electron cuz I like grippy putters. A few more pavement skips and a yard Envy might replace my Proxy.

Well I had trouble throwing the Uplink sober, so . . . ;)

Man, I have tried Tesla couple of times and it just doesn't go far for me. More power to you if you can get it to fly (literally, more power to you). :D

Haha thanks for the detailed response, my cut and paste is limited on a BlackBerry so..

Yeah I'm with you on the envy, glad your 172 soft has grabbed a bag spot. As I have a large seasoned stock other putters are less necessary. I still can't part with the spin, yet.

I'm not totally that simple but leaning that way.. The relay still has a slot, playing 2-3 envy... there's usually a comet in the competition bag.. An occasional bout of Insanity.. But yeah I'm feeling real solid on the 3 disc core. Relay is next most valuable asset but totally eclipsed by the uplink.

The uplink is the hot red head in my bag, if she does what I like it's magic, if we start a fight it goes south quick. I've spent way too much time with it neglecting my other discs, it makes me a bit of an out caster with some of my mainstays but I love riding that razor between glory and heartbreak. I just can't live without it.

Tesla goes back to my torque monkey days, I can still do that only now it's a skill... not a crutch. Different teslas are different discs. Same as the envy I've got tesla that are crave thru wave and into fireballs.. Just gotta pick the right one for my arm. Damn solid in the wind, on an OH, FH, etc...

Coming home after my round..

picture.php

Hashtag #proudtobethatguy haha. My only regret is the Xmas lights weren't hung in August 15 years ago, but they've been on every night since

Well a 169g bright orange soft uplink is in the mail... it was the only decent lightweight soft that I found scaled.. No sense procrastinating, more, if it's the only colour I can "find" . What's with all these gyro "earth tones" ?

I'm buying it just to prove I'm awesomer than Monocacy :)