• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Found this sweet Roc at play it again. 2003 ice bowl. Plastic is interesting, it's stiffer than most dx I've felt but definitely not kc pro stiff. This thing flies like a dream.

Attachments

• 9F29F0CE-FE5E-4D8B-B18F-013B56E409E2.jpg
    9F29F0CE-FE5E-4D8B-B18F-013B56E409E2.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 10EE34B4-2535-45B9-ADCF-19B2841ED8AE.jpg
    10EE34B4-2535-45B9-ADCF-19B2841ED8AE.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 51
Just as a heads up, the Roc mold has never lost the patent number tooling. People love to put that in sales descriptions, and it means nothing. The tooling that matters is the city. San Marino, Ontario, and Rancho.

That's a great find. That older DX plastic is the bees knees. It would be great if they could source more of it. The stuff period went nuts over recently was super waxy but stiff. The older runs weren't so waxy. At least they weren't even when I started playing.

Just as a heads up, the Roc mold has never lost the patent number tooling. People love to put that in sales descriptions, and it means nothing. The tooling that matters is the city. San Marino, Ontario, and Rancho.

That's a great find. That older DX plastic is the bees knees. It would be great if they could source more of it. The stuff period went nuts over recently was super waxy but stiff. The older runs weren't so waxy. At least they weren't even when I started playing.

Ah gotcha. Tooling says Rancho Cucamonga, CA. I feel like there was something if it said CA or CAL, maybe one was more desirable than the other

Ah gotcha. Tooling says Rancho Cucamonga, CA. I feel like there was something if it said CA or CAL, maybe one was more desirable than the other

That's applicable to Champ TeeBirds of the 11X era. The mold was switched from CAL to CA tooling during that time. That's not the only mold that underwent such a change, but it's the only one impacted by it in terms of collecting for some reason. CALs were more candy, and the CAs were cloudy/opaque.

The Rancho tooling for Rocs hasn't changed at all unless it's changed recently. If you see a Rancho with a different looking tooling (it's in a slightly different place on the flightplate), it's a Roc+. Those were not well received at all. It could also be a Roc3.

Old stiff dx rocs that are anti +-molds (straight inside rime) are some of my favourites.

That's applicable to Champ TeeBirds of the 11X era. The mold was switched from CAL to CA tooling during that time. That's not the only mold that underwent such a change, but it's the only one impacted by it in terms of collecting for some reason. CALs were more candy, and the CAs were cloudy/opaque.

So true. 11x Eagles also went thru this change but us eagle throwers dont care much if its CA or CAL.

Rocs Forehand?

Any tips on throwing Rocs or Roc3s forehand? I suppose it must have something to do with the bead and the release or maybe the spin? I finally bought into the whole "cycle Rocs" thing, and have been trying dx, kc, and a champ roc 3. I don't carry any other mids. I love them for backhand, but they just turn and burn if i give them any power. I am averse to carrying discs specifically for forehand or backhand and really want to make these work for both. Everything else in my bag pulls double duty, and I think my Rocs should too. Anybody else struggled with this and had a breakthrough? I think Koling throws Roc3s forehand, but he could throw a forehand flex with an Oreo cookie. Thanks in advance!

Any tips on throwing Rocs or Roc3s forehand? I suppose it must have something to do with the bead and the release or maybe the spin? I finally bought into the whole "cycle Rocs" thing, and have been trying dx, kc, and a champ roc 3. I don't carry any other mids. I love them for backhand, but they just turn and burn if i give them any power. I am averse to carrying discs specifically for forehand or backhand and really want to make these work for both. Everything else in my bag pulls double duty, and I think my Rocs should too. Anybody else struggled with this and had a breakthrough? I think Koling throws Roc3s forehand, but he could throw a forehand flex with an Oreo cookie. Thanks in advance!

Roc3s are the only mid I carry now and I actually get kinda excited when I get to flick one of them. They actually feel pretty comfortable in the hand with just a little baby adjustment to my grip, and often when I go to flick one I'm in a slightly compromised position. The great thing about Rocs is you can make them dance and swing off the tee backhand, so 95% of the time I have a Roc I can trust to hit a line, but when I'm pinched off to the left and I need to go forward and not fade one way or the other, I love being able to send a Roc3 on a slight anny and have it flatten out as it floats toward the basket. I was able to do just this this past week with my glow Roc3 about 175 feet away from the basket, and once you have that shot dialed it feels effortless because the disc does so much of the work.

While you probably don't want to take forehand tips from me because I am not very good at it, I switch my normal grip when forehanding mids and putters and it has really helped me. I think Nate Sexton uses sort of a similar grip. I can't really explain it but maybe you can google his grip or I can try and get a picture next time I have a disc handy.

You can definitely flick dx rocs with a clean release. I'd recommend this drill from Richard Hatton. You really need to feel the weight of the disc and keep everything loose. I'd suggest just standing 100 feet or less from the basket and just practice a nice little pop with your rocs and get a feel for a nice clean oat free release before you try to add distance.

https://youtu.be/5YkLtobx34o

Rocs were horrible forehand discs for me. It wasn't a stability issue (I forehand Emac Truths just fine) but rather the rim shape/depth/bead combo just wasn't conducive to how I grip when flicking. I hope it works out for you, but depending on how you release the disc you may be fighting an uphill battle. Good luck!

So true. 11x Eagles also went thru this change but us eagle throwers dont care much if its CA or CAL.
That's part of the humor in it. It was a core piece change. It didn't effect the flight at all. It was several years after the change that people seemed to notice. All of a sudden it was a big deal to people.

I have a barstamp Buzzz-era tourney-stamped Z Buzzz; when the barstamps were going for crazy money I tired to sell it. I was offered $20 less than the going barstamp price because it didn't have the barstamp. Uh...it has the freaking date right on the stamp! Whatever, the barstamp Buzzz thing was dumb anyway. The production run Z Buzzz that were in the stores at the time were every bit as good as the barstamps. It was just a stamp change.

tl;dr: disc golfers are dumb. :|

Continuing my descent into 150g madness with a 150 Dx Roc. :hfive:
I don't remember why as this was 20+ years ago, but I had Rocs in my regular bag but I threw Sharks as my 150g mid. I think it had to do with Sharks just kinda flipping and dying when they would get pushed around by the wind but the Roc flipping and sailing off to flippyland; it made the Shark more predictable for me at that weight. It was weird 'cause I kinda low-key hate Sharks. :|

I don't remember why as this was 20+ years ago, but I had Rocs in my regular bag but I threw Sharks as my 150g mid. I think it had to do with Sharks just kinda flipping and dying when they would get pushed around by the wind but the Roc flipping and sailing off to flippyland; it made the Shark more predictable for me at that weight. It was weird 'cause I kinda low-key hate Sharks. :|

Good thing I don't play in the wind too often...:D

Latest posts