• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

The heavier disc is going to have a tougher time staying in the air though as well, the disc is trying to lift, "glide" and stay aloft. A heavier disc could fly shorter then a lighter version in theory. It would be interesting to see which one goes further based on the disc model and speed if throw.

I know my uncle throws some light weight discs and I've tossed a few of them and was surprised how much they glide/stay aloft. I think that the glide might make up for the lack of weight but just maybe only at slower speeds? There could be a crossover point as well. The 70 mph throw might slow down much quicker and the glide can't make up for the initial loss. Where as the 45 mph throw the glide makes up for the slower initial velocity?

Interesting things to think about.

I'm sure everything is different for everyone. I have experimented and I consistently get better distance with heavier discs. I'm kind of a noodle arm so my theory is there isn't a big difference in velocity regardless of the weight of the disc that I'm throwing and the heavier ones have more momentum or inertia or whatever and carry farther. Tailwinds are the one exception where I can get better distance with a lighter disc.

I'm sure everything is different for everyone. I have experimented and I consistently get better distance with heavier discs. I'm kind of a noodle arm so my theory is there isn't a big difference in velocity regardless of the weight of the disc that I'm throwing and the heavier ones have more momentum or inertia or whatever and carry farther. Tailwinds are the one exception where I can get better distance with a lighter disc.

It could be the theoretical crossover point is possibly even lower speeds. I tossed a 146 gram DX Leopard pretty soft and the thing just cruised out about 300 feet (felt like a 175 foot putter throw or so). I was just shocked at how little effort it took to throw it. Now is it the understability/dome or the ligthness? See IDK. Didn't ever try throwing a heavier DX Leopard ever that is similar. Or even more possible I didn't feel the weight and actually threw it faster then I thought. Lots of variables I suppose.

I typically stick to upper 160's to 180 and haven't thrown really much on the light side.

Had some rewards to burn so I swung by the local Dick's and swung by their frisbee rack. They had this new batch of star ranchos, pretty sweet stamp.

Low and behold it's a regularly shaped star rancho. They did have one of the older soup bowl star rocs, so maybe that garbage is finally flushed from the warehouse and some fresh stock starting to circulate.

Attachments

• 87346CD7-929C-4B2B-A06B-ABB4A4908EE1.jpg
    87346CD7-929C-4B2B-A06B-ABB4A4908EE1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 69
  • B7F9ECA6-8B14-426D-8615-20EC57B54EFB.jpg
    B7F9ECA6-8B14-426D-8615-20EC57B54EFB.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 63
The heavier disc is going to have a tougher time staying in the air though as well, the disc is trying to lift, "glide" and stay aloft. A heavier disc could fly shorter then a lighter version in theory. It would be interesting to see which one goes further based on the disc model and speed if throw. ...

Interesting things to think about.

This is simplifying a very complex subject. Discs are airfoils, gyroscopes, and ballistics all at once. How fast, what angle, shape, weight, weight distribution (basically anything that makes one disc different from another) is going to highlight one of these aspects over another in flight. Wind direction and intensity will do the same.

It is true that lighter weight discs fly further - the world distance records are set throwing Blizzard Bosses. But why? The large driver rim makes it cut through air faster, while the blizzard plastic distributes the weight more evenly so it is more gyroscopically rigid, and the light weight allows it to turn over at a greater height. If you watch the flight of the record throw, you can see it's thrown almost straight up, turns over, and most of the carry is in the turn phase of flight. The distance it travels once it fades is about the same as any other throw.

Discs are complicated as hell, it creates that element of uncertainty that makes this game so addicting!

There's a video of Eric Oakley throwing heavy felons farther than light ones. What I wonder is how glide changes the math. A overstable/ low glide disc is more like a bullet and relies on speed for distance. There's a reason why military snipers use .50 cals. But I wonder if a high glide lightweight disc like a river or something would travel farther with the increased glide from less weight helping it stay in the air longer. The obvious way lightweight helps us get more distance is to let us get discs up to speed that we couldn't do if they were max weight.

Had some rewards to burn so I swung by the local Dick's and swung by their frisbee rack. They had this new batch of star ranchos, pretty sweet stamp.

Low and behold it's a regularly shaped star rancho. They did have one of the older soup bowl star rocs, so maybe that garbage is finally flushed from the warehouse and some fresh stock starting to circulate.

Wow these actually look normal. Definitely hitting up my Dick's (oof) to check for these. Mild domed premium rancho rocs yessss pls

Wow these actually look normal. Definitely hitting up my Dick's (oof) to check for these. Mild domed premium rancho rocs yessss pls
I still wouldn't buy them sight unseen. Checked out one of my local shops, he had 8 or so, all weird center dome soup bowls. A friend who lives in MN went to GGGT and said there was a mix.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah I was pretty surprised also. They were marked $21.99…fairly steep.

They also had champ roc3's so I compared real quick to make sure there wasn't any tomfoolery going on. I'm guessing we'll start seeing these pop up all over the place.

Yeah I was pretty surprised also. They were marked $21.99…fairly steep.

They also had champ roc3's so I compared real quick to make sure there wasn't any tomfoolery going on. I'm guessing we'll start seeing these pop up all over the place.

Still better than chasing down USDGC throwers I guess. Thanks again for the intel.

This is simplifying a very complex subject. Discs are airfoils, gyroscopes, and ballistics all at once. How fast, what angle, shape, weight, weight distribution (basically anything that makes one disc different from another) is going to highlight one of these aspects over another in flight. Wind direction and intensity will do the same.

It is true that lighter weight discs fly further - the world distance records are set throwing Blizzard Bosses. But why? The large driver rim makes it cut through air faster, while the blizzard plastic distributes the weight more evenly so it is more gyroscopically rigid, and the light weight allows it to turn over at a greater height. If you watch the flight of the record throw, you can see it's thrown almost straight up, turns over, and most of the carry is in the turn phase of flight. The distance it travels once it fades is about the same as any other throw.

Discs are complicated as hell, it creates that element of uncertainty that makes this game so addicting!

Of course those are factors. I am comparing in my theoretical scenario near exact duplicates with different weights. The other posters argument is that heavier discs go further. I'm not so sure about that though across the board. But I could see that being the case at a certain speed and certain weight in certain enviroments. I mean surely a 125 ounce disc is simply going to slow down much faster then a 175 gram one. Even more so a factor at 70-80+ MPH (top profession speed). I doubt any extra lift and potential extra speed is going to counteract the lack of weight behind it.

There are tons of other factors as well. I could see myself probably throwing a bit lighter discs at elevation for instance. The air density is far less and it would make sense to go lighter to make up some glide. Headwind/tailwind of course. How much spin your throw has. All the things you mentioned, etc....

There's a video of Eric Oakley throwing heavy felons farther than light ones. What I wonder is how glide changes the math. A overstable/ low glide disc is more like a bullet and relies on speed for distance. There's a reason why military snipers use .50 cals. But I wonder if a high glide lightweight disc like a river or something would travel farther with the increased glide from less weight helping it stay in the air longer. The obvious way lightweight helps us get more distance is to let us get discs up to speed that we couldn't do if they were max weight.

I believe that was the downfall of that video. He threw an OS low glide disc. A more neutral disc would have been more ideal. The individual thrower is a factor as well. Some guys may increase speed more then others by going to lighter weight. Some guys might not gain any speed.

For me the point of getting full weight discs is that they mold up as I expect them to. Innova discs mold up in completely different ways based on weight. Doesn't mean that will always be the case, you can get a freak 170g Roc with a high PLH, or a 181g with a low PLH. But by and large the more plastic going into the disc the higher the PLH when you are in Innova land.

Side topic, I like my DX Teebirds at 170g, and I feel that they lose glide at 175g. Not from the extra weight but the way they mold up.