• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

i could never get the range of shots out of my Roc3's that i could with normal Rocs. now i carry a four Rocs in a variety of plastics and cover all my midrange shots.

I pawed a Star Roc3 last week and pondered one but I set it back down and walked away.

Made the run of all the newer and newest roc variations and I've gone back to KC and DX Rocs.

Never thought I would say it, but I love how DX Roc's fly.

Tried doing the roc3 thing. Bought star, g star, champion. Didn't really wanna shell out for McPros and dx roc3s. I'll throw a g star in the bag sometime to complement my flat top kc pro glow and flat top dx roc. But it's hard not to fall right back with plain old rocs. I'll take them out of the bag this winter and wear a roc3 in some more. Maybe they break in someday like mcbeths finally did.

I'm not a fan of the DX feel last time I was able to shop in person for discs. Feels waxy? if anyone gets that. Nothing like all the older stuff I have. I'm down to 2 fresh Marshall street Flat top Rocs and just don't feel like having to constantly order em. At least if I lose a Roc3, I can head to Dick's Sporting goods and buy a new one no problem.

The yellow and orange Dx ones feel pretty nice. I've occasionally found a good feeling white one, usually they are bottom stamped. IDK why that is.

I throw DX ranchos and DX tbirds so every time I'm at a shop I check out those discs even if I don't need one. Every once in a while I will find very stiff and grippy DX ROCS and tbirds.

I like the roc3s but I gotta keep a rancho or two or 4 in the bag. For me the roc3s are noticeably faster and longer then traditional ranchos, which is nice sometimes and not so nice other times. A domey champ roc3 is great way to get the OS premium plastic roc without paying for a USDGC.

If anyone is curious, the factory store XT rocs break in really fast. That was great for me as I needed to replace a turnover roc quickly, but If anyone is hoping to get a long cycle out of them will be disappointed. I have noticed that it isn't changing as fast now that it's somewhat flippy, FWIW

Tried doing the roc3 thing. ... I'll take them out of the bag this winter and wear a roc3 in some more. Maybe they break in someday like mcbeths finally did.

My McPro Roc3 is breaking in very well. I like Roc3s in general (have Star and GStar F2 Roc3s) so it was worth the $$ for the McPro, but that's me, YMMV.

I have come to prefer rancho's for my truly overstable rocs, but a roc3 is going to be predictable and workable from day one. My favorite mid is a first run "proto" mcpro from the pro shop, and that went from flying like a DX rancho to more like a worn in KC, and it took a good year of hard use to get there. Now that disc is my go to shaper unless the wind is going. It will cut and roll in a gust without perfect form. I also carry a G* roc3 that flies like the Mcpro did when new. That gets thrown the most of my mids. When I first bagged it I was not a strong mid thrower and both the G* and champ roc 3's would fly just as OS as my KC pro's, but nowadays I have quit the champs and keep a star or KC pro rancho in as my OS mid.

I recently put a new style McPro in the bag to start wearing in, and it is much flatter than the proto. A little less glide and better wind resistance, but hopefully the fade falls off a lot more, it just isn't as trusty as my G* or proto mcpro yet. I also tried an old DX shark out as a backup for the McPro, but for some reason I can't seem to judge power on it. In the practice field I was putting roc 3's within 15' of the basket at 250', but the shark kept sailing on over. Way less predictable in the wind too.

Does anyone that has tried the Star Roc3s think they are a bit too floppy? It felt fine in the store but after being in the heat for a few minutes it feels almost GStarish. I had heard that star plastic was moving more towards GStar but this was the first time I had seen it.

Does anyone that has tried the Star Roc3s think they are a bit too floppy? It felt fine in the store but after being in the heat for a few minutes it feels almost GStarish. I had heard that star plastic was moving more towards GStar but this was the first time I had seen it.

+1 ITA on all counts.

My Star Roc3 has turned "soft" in the heat of the Georgia summer. By way of contrast, my Star TLs remain more firm in the same temperatures.

And I too have noticed in the stores that today's new discs in Star plastic are a LOT softer than old(er) Star plastic.

My fear is that Dunipace & Co. are phasing out true Star plastic. I hope that's not the case, but the transition already seems to be happening...

+1 ITA on all counts.

My Star Roc3 has turned "soft" in the heat of the Georgia summer. By way of contrast, my Star TLs remain more firm in the same temperatures.

And I too have noticed in the stores that today's new discs in Star plastic are a LOT softer than old(er) Star plastic.

My fear is that Dunipace & Co. are phasing out true Star plastic. I hope that's not the case, but the transition already seems to be happening...

Yeah, I guess my S-Line P2 is pretty flexible too but didn't know if that was just the way they were. I purchased a Star Teebird not that long ago from Disc Golf World(actual store not online) that was stiff Star(pretty slick though) but who knows when it was ran. I couldn't imagine throwing GStar after throwing the floppy Star Roc3. Trying to dial it in but using the KC Flat top Roc and Champ Roc3 I bought with it instead.

So, I throw DX Rocs. However, I was thinking about dropping a new 12x KC Pro in there for wind duties (I currently use a Brinster Sentinel, but I am wary of becoming addicted to a tour series disc). I want to make sure I actually get one that is stable, though. I have heard some 12x KCs are not as OS as expected. Any tips on finding a good OS one?

The matte plastics seem to be the ones getting the most love. I love my matte yellow. I've thrown it in winds I'd expect most mids to flip, and it just held its line.

This should work for you. The three (with another on the way) I bought last week are all matte. Better hurry up before I get greedy and buy this one too...:D

So, I throw DX Rocs. However, I was thinking about dropping a new 12x KC Pro in there for wind duties (I currently use a Brinster Sentinel, but I am wary of becoming addicted to a tour series disc). I want to make sure I actually get one that is stable, though. I have heard some 12x KCs are not as OS as expected. Any tips on finding a good OS one?

My experience; The hard slightly domed KC's have been very consistent. mine have been yellow, not sure how much difference color makes. Mine have broken in nicely and I just put a fresh one in with no problems.

I've seen some waxing feeling white ones but have only thrown one and it wasn't as stable, so I'm not sure if it was a fluke disc or if all of the waxy ones fly that way. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

I have a flat top 175g tourney stamp that flies pretty stable. It is red and really stiff and is nothing like a domey blue one I got from the Ice Bowl. That was the first Roc I tried and hated it. I started throwing a DX Roc after losing a couple of Truths and had it around from a player's package and have since added the KC Pro, Champ Roc3 and Star Roc3(maybe not for long). Loving the Roc and Roc3 now am not looking back.

I couldn't imagine throwing GStar after throwing the floppy Star Roc3. Trying to dial it in but using the KC Flat top Roc and Champ Roc3 I bought with it instead.

I may go back to bagging my Star Roc3 this winter when temps get back down. For now I'm working on beating in a FAF McPro Roc3. IMHO the very stiff McPro plastic is the perfect match for the Roc3 mold.

My 2015 USDGC is awaiting my return from work this evening.
I'll report back on the shape and flight as I will be trying to slide it into my "Beefy Roc" slot currently occupied by a Vector.

The matte plastics seem to be the ones getting the most love. I love my matte yellow. I've thrown it in winds I'd expect most mids to flip, and it just held its line.

This should work for you. The three (with another on the way) I bought last week are all matte. Better hurry up before I get greedy and buy this one too...:D

My experience; The hard slightly domed KC's have been very consistent. mine have been yellow, not sure how much difference color makes. Mine have broken in nicely and I just put a fresh one in with no problems.

I've seen some waxing feeling white ones but have only thrown one and it wasn't as stable, so I'm not sure if it was a fluke disc or if all of the waxy ones fly that way. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

Awesome, thanks for the input. I will see if I can find one like this at my local shop. If not, I will likely nab that one off community!

My 2015 USDGC is awaiting my return from work this evening.
I'll report back on the shape and flight as I will be trying to slide it into my "Beefy Roc" slot currently occupied by a Vector.

It's really funny, but I am in exactly the same boat as you. I currently bag an N Vector for that slot, but otherwise I throw either XT Rocs or Roc3's, so I bought a couple of the USDGC's this year to see if they can replace the Vector (and they're waiting for me at home just like yours). I might wait for your report before throwing one of them; you can always resell USDGC Rocs for the same or higher price in a few months when they're all sold out, so if this year's run isn't very good I might just sell mine.

Hopefully it will have a nice straight flight with a healthy fade and I can bag one of these. Who knows, if it's beefy enough maybe it'll kick out the Gator too. Would be nice to eliminate both the Vector and Gator and just carry Rocs. On the other hand, whenever RDG gets around to making me a real, cycle-able Roc replacement in Fossil plastic, that might kick out the XT Rocs and Roc3's. Hint, hint, JC...

Current run KC is solid stable. Which suprised me, cuz they are kinda domey. Theyve got super solid HSS out of the box.

Also if you want a backup brinster sentinel I have a 8/10 no ink available

It's really funny, but I am in exactly the same boat as you. I currently bag an N Vector for that slot, but otherwise I throw either XT Rocs or Roc3's, so I bought a couple of the USDGC's this year to see if they can replace the Vector (and they're waiting for me at home just like yours). I might wait for your report before throwing one of them; you can always resell USDGC Rocs for the same or higher price in a few months when they're all sold out, so if this year's run isn't very good I might just sell mine.

Hopefully it will have a nice straight flight with a healthy fade and I can bag one of these. Who knows, if it's beefy enough maybe it'll kick out the Gator too. Would be nice to eliminate both the Vector and Gator and just carry Rocs. On the other hand, whenever RDG gets around to making me a real, cycle-able Roc replacement in Fossil plastic, that might kick out the XT Rocs and Roc3's. Hint, hint, JC...

Lol I look forward to the day that we can do something like this as well :hfive:

That said, our mid will likely slide right in as a seasonable Sentinel competitor vs. a Roc competitor. You really cannot beat the Roc.

Exactly why I would never make another stable PnA with Gateway bc the Wizard is just THE disc in that category.

I'll report back with the USDGC findings though. I don't know why I want to replace the Vector as it flies super nicely for me... but I just must.