• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

So the factory store XT ROCS are a bust. I thought they would be great, good profile and they feel fantasic. But they break in just like the flat tops; can't ever get them to flip and hold flat, but some how they don't hold a turnover line either. Pretty disappointed. Sunk 4 months into breaking one of those in only to hate it. If I just would have stuck to my usual KC's I'd have a nice roc right now, but instead I'm back to square one. Ugh.

You do realize it's a play on words with Rancho Cucamonga?

Yeah. I'd noticed that. But there already are Rancho Cucamonga Rocs. I carry 4 - 2004 USDGC Champ, 2006 Star and 2 KCs. There was no need or room to "improve" them. Or besmirch their good name.

Yeah. I'd noticed that. But there already are Rancho Cucamonga Rocs. I carry 4 - 2004 USDGC Champ, 2006 Star and 2 KCs. There was no need or room to "improve" them. Or besmirch their good name.

I understand your point, but maybe Dave D. is just getting bored these days.

Dave D. just knows how to capitalize on the success of the Roc name. As is his right, of course.

I have a question for you roc officianados. I have a 2007 tourney stamped roc, has ontario tooling and I believe it is dx? Plastic feels really similar to nice stiff kc pro 11x. Any idea which type of roc it is?

I have a question for you roc officianados. I have a 2007 tourney stamped roc, has ontario tooling and I believe it is dx? Plastic feels really similar to nice stiff kc pro 11x. Any idea which type of roc it is?

Likely, and I'm going out on a limb here, a DX Ontario Roc. There aren't any, to my knowledge, Pro type Ontario or Sanny Rocs.

So the factory store XT ROCS are a bust. I thought they would be great, good profile and they feel fantasic. But they break in just like the flat tops; can't ever get them to flip and hold flat, but some how they don't hold a turnover line either. Pretty disappointed. Sunk 4 months into breaking one of those in only to hate it. If I just would have stuck to my usual KC's I'd have a nice roc right now, but instead I'm back to square one. Ugh.

my buddy bought a pair of those and on first inspection you'd think they'd be perfect because they are the flattest rocs ever.

imagine a gummier mcpro roc3 only flatter.

but they're weird because they're so touchy, its like a comet without the glide or magical flight or distance. this was when they were brand new, I can imagine how touchy it would be seasoned.

They did do a run of Pro Glow Ontario rocs. I as well have one from 2007 that the sticker on the back says Pro Glow. Feels just like KC plastic to me.

my buddy bought a pair of those and on first inspection you'd think they'd be perfect because they are the flattest rocs ever.

imagine a gummier mcpro roc3 only flatter.

but they're weird because they're so touchy, its like a comet without the glide or magical flight or distance. this was when they were brand new, I can imagine how touchy it would be seasoned.

I'm like 90% sure the XT's are the same mold (or process or whatever) as the flat top dx/kc runs, because they have the same problem. Once they get some flip they are just useless and unpredictable. I actually thought they were decent when new.

I've got a z comet in my mailbox that hopefully will cover that turnover slot for now. I hope that will work until I can get a good turnover roc seasoned in again. I know tons of people swear by comets but I've never thrown one

My XT Sharks are just like the Rocs. Super flat and I actually like them fresh, but I have a feeling they will be like the Rocs and not cycle well. Even if they don't cycle well I wish in mids they would run some fairways in it, I think it would be great for those.

Hmmm, I guess I'm the only one that actually likes the XT Rocs. I had one I bought when they were brand new that seasoned in beautifully. It was just so, so straight. I'd like to think it was my perfect form... ;) Anyway, I lost it on a top-of-the-world type hole (Horning's Hideout Meadow Ridge #8) when it hit a tree and went deeeep into a blackberry thicket. There was no finding it in there and even if I had been able to see it I doubt I could have retrieved it.

I do have a replacement for it, but I haven't thrown it much yet, and I think the RDG flat-topped DX Rocs I got are going to take the fresh Roc spot in the bag next instead. From the brief field tests I've done, my orange XT is very similar in stability to the white DX RDG Roc I got, at least fresh out of the box.

BTW anyone try the MF Roc3's yet? Seems like they might fly like an OS Roc3, a.k.a a Rancho Roc, which would make them a cheap, easy to get alternative to champion ranchos.

I have one of the MF's on the way from a trade, will report back on that. Regarding the xt roc, I was feeling the same about it, but lately I have thrown it back in the bag to compliment my beat pro roc 3. The XT is beat to crap and unpredictable for straight/anhyzers, but it will fly a hyzer line around corners just like my aviars but a bit longer. It holds the line a while, slowly flips flat, and when it hits it slides forward, no fade. The pro roc3 is a turnover machine though. Super predictable left to right action.

BTW anyone try the MF Roc3's yet? Seems like they might fly like an OS Roc3, a.k.a a Rancho Roc, which would make them a cheap, easy to get alternative to champion ranchos.

I've thrown a couple from last year. They were straighter than the domey champ Roc3s. I actually threw one in the bag for a while after losing a seasoned Roc3 as a temporary replacement for that straight slot.

its all about dome and high PLH with champ roc3's.

my most overstable ones were actually lighter 170's grams but were domey and had high PLH, it seems like the heavier ones tend to mold flatter.

I had a couple glow Roc3's that were FAF, and weren't overstable at all, they were money though seasoned into perfect discs.

this mold is weird, because the tendency for more overstable plastic (glow, and probably metal flake) types doesn't really translate like you see with discs like the gator, firebird, or teebird (where glow/metal flake = BEEF)

Last edited: