• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

That sort of fade at 270' of power doesn't make sense for a recent-run KC Roc. Of course, variations, etc. But I've never had a FN KC with that kind of fade (have to go back to the stiff white PFN Multi-Purpose 12x for that kind of KC beef, IMO). Although most every frsh KC will be significantly more overstable than any compass.

tbird is right though -- start with DX. A DX Roc will be useful for years. And it will beat in so you can throw that Compass into a lake or busy highway.

DX rocs really do last a long time. And really if you ask me, the beater, the better! There are just things that a 4-5/10 DX roc do that nothing else will. KC isn't my thing, I put my KCs back in for a round or two and I just don't like them as much.

Nothing wrong with the ROC in any plastic, but DX is my favorite.

Did Innova stop running the Star San Marino Roc? I'm not seeing it in any of the online stores at the moment. It's not super popular so hopefully they just haven't run that mold in a while since I'm still seeing it listed on the Innova website.

It's been my workhorse mid for close to a decade, in fact I've been throwing the same one for about 8 years. I have a slightly newer one in my bag, and 2 backups in the bins, but I'd like to know if it's time to stock up on at least a couple more backups.

Last edited:
There seem to always be Stars in the USDGC releases. They typically don't bring much of a premium compared to the Champs either so older ones aren't necessarily out of reach as throwers.

Did Innova stop running the Star San Marino Roc? I'm not seeing it in any of the online stores at the moment. It's not super popular so hopefully they just haven't run that mold in a while since I'm still seeing it listed on the Innova website.

It's been my workhorse mid for close to a decade, in fact I've been throwing the same one for about 8 years. I have a slightly newer one in my bag, and 2 backups in the bins, but I'd like to know if it's time to stock up on at least a couple more backups.

Yeah, Innova runs Sanny Rocs now and then for special releases it seems like. They aren't particularly popular so the prices don't get too inflated; there are a bunch on eBay right now, mostly for reasonable prices. I've seen them new on DiscGolfUnited and DiscGolfValues as well from time to time. The 30th Anniversary Luster Rocs are also the San Marino mold, and those still seem to be fairly plentiful among retailers. They're actually great throwers; I would recommend you pick up a couple of those before they're gone.

Yeah, Innova runs Sanny Rocs now and then for special releases it seems like. They aren't particularly popular so the prices don't get too inflated; there are a bunch on eBay right now, mostly for reasonable prices. I've seen them new on DiscGolfUnited and DiscGolfValues as well from time to time. The 30th Anniversary Luster Rocs are also the San Marino mold, and those still seem to be fairly plentiful among retailers. They're actually great throwers; I would recommend you pick up a couple of those before they're gone.

Yeah, I saw those at discgolfcenter.com but I'm not a huge fan of Champ plastic, especially in my mids/putters.

How does everyone grip their Rocs?
I've always used a firm, compact fan grip because I found the power grip to be uncomfortable.. but I just recently sucked it up and started trying a full power grip and ripping Rocs likes drivers. And boy.. should have done it sooner.:thmbup:

I've always used a firm, compact fan grip because I found the power grip to be uncomfortable.. but I just recently sucked it up and started trying a full power grip and ripping Rocs likes drivers. And boy.. should have done it sooner.:thmbup:

I throw the majority of my mid shots with my index finger on the rim and the other 3 in a normal power grip (BH). Its the same grip I use when putting as well. For my FHs, my mids are all fan grip, but I need to clean up my OAT (cue a max weight Z Comet, as I don't have a Roc for that).

Fan grip for standstill, power for teepad. Rocs love spin, need that power grip to get that going.

I fork grip them. I have my pinky on the rim with my ring and middle finger stacked on top of it and then my index finger is on the rim as well.

I power grip most everything including Rocs. Pretty much the only time I use a fan grip is when I'm running the basket from 70 - 100 feet. Usually I do that with a putter (or a lid) although I've used a beat up Roc as well.

Depends on the shot. More power, Power grip. More touch, fan grip.

I'll throw a Roc with a fan grip out to about 275'.

Depends on the shot. More power, Power grip. More touch, fan grip.

I'll throw a Roc with a fan grip out to about 275'.

That's about where I was sitting, maxing at 275' with a fan grip. Been getting easily 50 more feet when power gripping and ripping..

Modified fan with index and pinky locked in for all Roc throws.

Attachments

• 3457DAE0-CA4D-4601-9A0C-BD64E9BCCC7D.jpg
    3457DAE0-CA4D-4601-9A0C-BD64E9BCCC7D.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 94
That's about where I was sitting, maxing at 275' with a fan grip. Been getting easily 50 more feet when power gripping and ripping..

Yeah. Similar. Although I will usually just step up to a fairway driver past 320'.

Thinking about it, I will throw with a tight fan (bordering on power grip, with my first finger slightly splayed) for Roc shots out to 300' (thinking, in particular, about Blue Lake #4 -- 300' feet of mild hyzer without a ceiling issue. Mild fan grip, 85% rip.)

Born To Roc

I just got 2 "Born To Roc" USDGC Rocs in the mail yesterday. The champ plastic is really soft and flexible compared to my other USDGC Rocs which tend to be pretty firm and rigid. I can't to let one of these rip later, just need to decide to throw the red one or the yellow one :\

Attachments

• 33E3DF5E-577B-4A0C-90F0-5BCDDE8B0CA8.jpg
    33E3DF5E-577B-4A0C-90F0-5BCDDE8B0CA8.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts