• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Newest Greatest thing you just figured out

JHern said:
Update: I've been putting around in the rain with my right eye closed, and I am no longer missing left/right at all!

If it gives your putting a boost of confidence then that is all well and good. But really, there is no practicality in pretending that you are using the wrong eye to aim. You have used those eyes all day as a set for what 20, 30, 40 years? Your brain has long since figured out how to produce a reliable image that is a summation of what both eyes see. Not to mention, your brain has been compensating for your weaker eye your entire life. I know exactly what you are trying to say, I just know that our unconscious brain absolutely dwarfs the conscious, especially with things we shouldn't even be actively engaged in, like seeing.

JHern said:
Mark, I've just learned that I'm left-eye dominant, but I'm right-handed. I think this is important, especially for putting, but I haven't figured out how to use the knowledge to my benefit.

I'm left-eyed, right-handed, also. This can be a problem when trying to line up two objects with one in the near foreground and one in the distance, AND, while keeping both eyes open. For instance, shooting a rifle with iron sights. The dominant eye wants to do the work and the left eye is not aligned with stock, barrel, and front sight for a right-handed shooter.

For putting, I find that binocular vision - depth perception - is a definite advantage. Also, learning to keep (both) my eyes fixed on the chains and NOT look down at my disc gave significant improvements to my putting.

My favorite winter golf accessory by far was my synthetic down North Face vest. It's not bulky in the least, and as Mark mentioned in an earlier post, it's nice because it ends right at the waist. It also has a drawstring at the waist that kind of pulls everything in (and keeps out drafts). I would then use some thin under layers and a light performance fleece with the over it and it worked great. For hats I found this "turtle head" thing that combines a fleece neckwarmer with a neoprene hood to go over your ears and head that still allows you to wear a baseball cap. When it was really cold I used a thin ear ring that fit under my hat as well.

Looks like I may be moving back to MI next year, so I'm already getting my mind back into winter golf mode (even though where I'm at now it will be 80 degrees today).

discspeed said:
My favorite winter golf accessory by far was my synthetic down North Face vest. It's not bulky in the least, and as Mark mentioned in an earlier post, it's nice because it ends right at the waist. It also has a drawstring at the waist that kind of pulls everything in (and keeps out drafts). I would then use some thin under layers and a light performance fleece with the over it and it worked great.
I've started wearing an LL Bean fleece vest this year and it's been working great. If the temps are in the upper to mid 30's I'm wearing a long sleeve dry fit under a regular long sleeve t shirt and covering both of them with the fleece vest. If It gets down into the lower 30's I'm substituting a regular sweatshirt for the long sleeve t-shirt. I have good mobility and I keep warm

Agricolae said:
JHern said:
Mark, I've just learned that I'm left-eye dominant, but I'm right-handed. I think this is important, especially for putting, but I haven't figured out how to use the knowledge to my benefit.

I'm left-eyed, right-handed, also. This can be a problem when trying to line up two objects with one in the near foreground and one in the distance, AND, while keeping both eyes open. For instance, shooting a rifle with iron sights. The dominant eye wants to do the work and the left eye is not aligned with stock, barrel, and front sight for a right-handed shooter.

For putting, I find that binocular vision - depth perception - is a definite advantage. Also, learning to keep (both) my eyes fixed on the chains and NOT look down at my disc gave significant improvements to my putting.

This is what I was saying as well, but opposite cross-dominance.

I don't "line" the disc up at all. I get into an athletic stance, which as a righty putter, ends up similar to a slightly bladed lower body stance for a left-hander shooter, with the upper body squared to the target. Pick a link focus with both eyes open, let the brain sort it out.

My favorite winter time gear that is not a tacky disc further tackied up by whatever goo you use like beeswax or some bowling or baseball tacky stuff are light grippy shoes that do not limit the mobility of my ankle. Light mobility retaining shoes make walking much less taxing and good grip (it helps to have grip enhancers) reduce slipping on each step so the experience is much nicer. What you need for low tops in the winter is the fave gear of mine -Sealskinz water proof socks. They don't go infinitely high so using downhill skiing pants that seal the pant legs from the snow getting in under the top of the socks means that i almost never get snow thus moisture inside the pants.

It does not hurt to have 800 grams per square meter material in merino wool socks inside the Sealskinz in colder weather :) Polar explorers use those.

discspeed said:
Looks like I may be moving back to MI next year, so I'm already getting my mind back into winter golf mode (even though where I'm at now it will be 80 degrees today).

Now there's some good news. A guy can stand only so much FL weather, after all.

We may hit 60 today here, don't fret too much. Getting a nice blast of southern air. We'll leave the gate unlocked for you, let us know when you head back to MI!

JR said:
My favorite winter time gear that is not a tacky disc further tackied up by whatever goo you use like beeswax or some bowling or baseball tacky stuff are light grippy shoes that do not limit the mobility of my ankle. Light mobility retaining shoes make walking much less taxing and good grip (it helps to have grip enhancers) reduce slipping on each step so the experience is much nicer. What you need for low tops in the winter is the fave gear of mine -Sealskinz water proof socks. They don't go infinitely high so using downhill skiing pants that seal the pant legs from the snow getting in under the top of the socks means that i almost never get snow thus moisture inside the pants.

It does not hurt to have 800 grams per square meter material in merino wool socks inside the Sealskinz in colder weather :) Polar explorers use those.

Light, NON-BULKY shoes are a necessity. I too prefer low tops but I have mids and even high tops which are ok. The huge, heavy, wide boots are unacceptable. I already have one ball and chain. I can't take another.

JHern said:
BradC said:
JHern said:
Putt_Parallax.jpg

JHern,

I am not a trained psychologist but perhaps I have figured out your problem. Your eyes blur because you IMAGINE (quite vividly) there is a naked, voluptuous woman floating above the basket you are putting at. This visual hallucination may have various causes but my suggestion is to take your mind out of the gutter long enough to throw a shot.

I wasn't gonna say anything about it but since Mark pointed it out :)

Mark MVP discs are pretty slick in warmer weather and horrible in the rain in the summer. No go in winter. Real winter with snow and all. Not some tropical paradise winter which looking by calendar is winter but biologically is summer in there.

I'm gonna have to thank JR and inthedrift for this one. I've put up with cracking skin on my right hand ever since I started playing disc golf in 2003. It usually starts in Novemember and lasts till March. I started out putting some petrolatum based stuff with vitamin E on my hands at night under some cotton gloves. I did this for two weeks and even though I was playing regularly the cracks began to heal and were not ripping open when I played. I had to quit wearing the gloves at night because I was having some weird ass dreams. I've been consistent about using lotion during the day especially after I wash my hands.
I few weeks ago I picked up some O'keeffes working hands at the local hardware and this stuff is the real deal. I put it on before I go to bed and don't have to worry about the gloves. I've even been using the O'keeffes during the day as long as I am not going to play disc golf because it makes your hands feel kind of waxy.
It was kind of a pain at first but now it's part of my routine and I don't have to think about it. So thanks guys for all your advice.

chainsmoker said:
I'm gonna have to thank JR and inthedrift for this one. I've put up with cracking skin on my right hand ever since I started playing disc golf in 2003. It usually starts in Novemember and lasts till March. I started out putting some petrolatum based stuff with vitamin E on my hands at night under some cotton gloves. I did this for two weeks and even though I was playing regularly the cracks began to heal and were not ripping open when I played. I had to quit wearing the gloves at night because I was having some weird ass dreams. I've been consistent about using lotion during the day especially after I wash my hands.
I few weeks ago I picked up some O'keeffes working hands at the local hardware and this stuff is the real deal. I put it on before I go to bed and don't have to worry about the gloves. I've even been using the O'keeffes during the day as long as I am not going to play disc golf because it makes your hands feel kind of waxy.
It was kind of a pain at first but now it's part of my routine and I don't have to think about it. So thanks guys for all your advice.

Glad it works for you. That stuff is amazing. :)

Cool! How much was it, where did you get it, how much did you get of it and how much do you need to apply it chainsmoker?

JR said:
Cool! How much was it, where did you get it, how much did you get of it and how much do you need to apply it chainsmoker?
http://www.okeeffescompany.com/
It cost $5.99 at my local hardware store for a container that is only 3.4 ounces/ 96 grams, but you only use a very small amount at a time. I think this one container will last the rest of the winter. I originally thought I would only use it at night but I have no problem using it during the day, the side effect is it makes your hands feel kind of tacky. Some people may even like the tacky feel while playing disc golf.
It's funny I just realized this company is about 15 minutes from my house.

As I get older my immunity to cold is diminishing (Dammit!) so I am testing new layers, looking for maximum warmth for minimum weight and bulk. I have always been impressed with and relied on high tech stuff (polar tech, gortex, etc.) but recently I have gone old school: wool. Ya know that stuff from sheep which is as old as, well, sheep.

I remember wool from my childhood (roughly the middle ages) as being itchy as hell. Wool has come a long way. Some wool blends are not itchy (smartwool) and some of the more expensive wool products (cashmere, merlino) are not either. Itchiness is less of an issue for a layer which doesn't come into direct contact with skin as well. Since my dabbling in wool is still recent I'm not sure how adaptable it is to different conditions but I'm initially encouraged with the socks, hats and sweaters/windshirts I am testing.

Polar Tech (spun polyester) seems to be much worse at blocking wind but much better at breathing/temperature moderating/not overheating than wool. Polyester is also bulkier but lighter than wool. We have not yet had bitter cold this year so more tests await.

I'll be going to Bandemere in AA tomorrow, and will be wearing my usual winter stuff- cotton tee, a long sleeve thermal, a waffle knit shirt (maybe two), and a hoodie that is lined in fleece. The thermal long sleeve and fleece-lined hoodie are what does it, I think. I've learned over the years that it's never as cold as it seems. Your body adjusts like when stepping into a lake to swim.

Never tried wool socks, I'd be hesitant to try, I'm thinking they'd cause some pretty sweaty feet.

Putting twice isn't always a bad thing. I've noticed that my disc golf game has two outcomes: when I drive well, get a good approach shot, but am still too far from the basket to make the putt the first time, and when I drive well and end up parking the approach shot leaving me without putting practice. As woodshedding was mentioned, I've been throwing multiple mids on different lines from my initial drive and then putting from each spot. This way, I am working out all of my options and solidifying my confidence in choosing the right approach to a certain shot.