• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] The Ninja

Vegan Ray

Banned
Gateway shenanigans

Lifted from the PDGA board; I found it both troubling and amusing.
Gateway said:
We are finally getting through the first production run of the Ninja after several months of tooling and polymer prototyping.
It takes quite a bit of work to get a disc this fast with this long of wing to fly stable and we think we've done it!
The NINJA is a very High Speed Max Distance Driver with lots of glide and is one of the longest flying discs ever made.
It is a long winged slightly under stable driver at high speeds with a smooth continuous dome and relatively low profile.
Needless to say its extremely fast and has lots of glide and carry!

We are using a rough finish on the leading edge of the mold (Surface technology) to reduce drag and increase lift.
By using drag reducing technology on the discs you will maintain their initial launch velocity through out most of the flight. Combine the surface technology with the massively gyroscopic wing, (which will allow the disc to spin longer) and you have the formula for some REALLY REALLY long throws.

The NINJA is a perfectly stable flying disc at 300-350 feet.
The 2.8CM wing is the longest on the market (apparently too long for PDGA play) so the NINJA will not be approved for PDGA play.
Our goal with the NINJA was to make the longest flying disc on the market.
A disc that will give players with 300 distance a chance to throw 400 feet.
BOOOOOYAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Down the road we will produce some lighter weight versions in more of an "S" or pro line plastic that should help players that only have 200-250 distance achieve throws of over 300 feet.

This FIRST RUN of NINJAS is in a translucent/opaque Evolution Plastic (the flexible Nike plastic blended with a much stiffer Urethane) and has a nice tacky feel, a fairly firm rim and moderately flexible flight plate.
Lots of bright colors including Pink, Orange, Yellow, White and Blue.
Weight range is from 174g-184g.
Since the disc is not intended for pdga play we can run them as heavy as we like.
Because of the geometry of the disc ( long wing - thin flight plate) a 184 gram Ninja doesnt feel or fly much different than 174g.
My longest throw (548 feet) was with a pink (181g) 2 weekends ago at the Crystal lake course just north of Chicago.

A disc that will give players with 300 distance a chance to throw 400 feet.
BOOOOOYAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why wouldn't I just bring out my Aerobie if they're ignoring PDGA standards?

I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans."

When I was telling all those guys at the Summertime Open a few weeks ago that the Ninja was going to knowingly not be PDGA approved they didn't believe me (I cant remember if that when we were playing poker with Rico?). I backed down because I wasnt 100% sure.. I wish I could rewind and claim my victory.

What a bunch of shenanigans.

Did Gateway actually know the whole time producing this thing that it would not be PDGA legal?

Shenanigans.

At least they didn't just stick an old pre-approved name on it (oh, like Apache or Warrior) and hope no one called it for a while.

It's Dave's company. If he thinks there's a market for a disc like this, why not. What I found funny is:

"Down the road we will produce some lighter weight versions in more of an "S" or pro line plastic that should help players that only have 200-250 distance achieve throws of over 300 feet."

And frustrate the hell out of players with form flaws. (Me, but I doubt that I'll buy one.)

I would like to see more on this though.

"We are using a rough finish on the leading edge of the mold (Surface technology) to reduce drag and increase lift."

Do you know that or just believe it? Answer carefully…

I'm just picking on how the new mold Warrior was out for a while before it showed up on the PDGA's approved list. *checks list* Actually, I still don't see the retooled Warrior listed on the PDGA list. Hmmm...
http://http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGA_approved_discs_060310.pdf

Am I reading that right? I see a listing for the redone Apache but not the Warrior. Feel free to correct me if I'm assuming too much.

dmac said:
The point is to push the envelop on how far a disc can fly.
Players with less power need all the help they can get keeping up with those who can out drive them every hole.

Our market research shows over 99% of the people who play disc golf do not play pdga events?

80% do not play any kind of organized event at all.
The Majority of people who play disc golf play for fun or friendly competition with their friends.
This disc is intended for these players or for players that just want to see how far then can throw.

We can (and will) eventually make a similar disc that is within the rules, but it probably wont be until after the first of next year.
We currently have as many as 12 new discs we will be releasing over the next year, including the new Ninja top ( with surface technology) on the Apache wing and on the Sabre Wing.

Our next release (in about a month) will be a mid-range between the Element and Warrior called The SCOUT!
Depending on the stability we made add surface technology to the leading 1/2" of the Scout.

A questionnaire on the ninja will be available on our website after the release.
Those who participate will be eligible to win prizes including, lessons with me or Nikko, custom stamped discs and minis, Golf bags, Bulls-Eyes Training baskets and Titan Pro-24 baskets.

Feel free to share your opinions on the disc or our decision to release a non pdga approved disc once you have thrown it.

I would not buy it if it was not PDGA approved.
I mean what if I did, and, I liked it? Then I could not use it in sanctioned (or otherwise) play without a guilty conscience...

Their market is people who don't compete in PDGA sanctioned events...which is most of the DGers I know. That is still a pretty big piece of the market place. Most people that shop for discs would never even think to ask if it is "PDGA sanctioned". All they care about is that their buddy bought one and can throw the crap out of it.

Why does this remind me of the cheesy baseballs with the built-in speed detectors?

Latest posts