• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The REAL 2011 Okthrowberfest Voting Thread

Vote for your FOUR favorite Okthrowberfest dyes

• DyeingToPlay -- Moon

Votes: 27 8.8%
  • DyeingToPlay - shaded skull

Votes: 61 19.9%
  • DiscTattooist - Moon Over Cemetary DG

Votes: 55 18.0%
  • DiscTattooist - Jack-O-Evil

Votes: 71 23.2%
  • BennettUA - Friday the 13th homage

Votes: 99 32.4%
  • Askari - Frankenstein

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Askari - Brains-n-Chains

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Moon - Entry of the Undead

Votes: 33 10.8%
  • adamlamar - Frankie goes to Hole-in-the-woods

Votes: 40 13.1%
  • NorthernDisc -- Damien

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Dan Howard - DGCR Fall Tour

Votes: 26 8.5%
  • Dan Howard - October trees

Votes: 189 61.8%
  • Ricky Bobby - Cornucopia

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • bigmanbailye - Count Collossus

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • BigBadBid - Reaper Waiting Room

Votes: 133 43.5%
  • Trozzle -- horrordisc

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • sickdisc.com - Zombie DG'er

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • JSurmann - The Hand

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • jdw80550 - Dia De Los Muertas Skull

Votes: 27 8.8%
  • teamtapin13 - Beautiful Nightmare

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Eky8 - blue witch and jackolantern

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • MartyK - The Killing Joke

Votes: 57 18.6%
  • Burntneuron - Nightmare Princess

Votes: 90 29.4%
  • maansmit - Falling Leaves

Votes: 40 13.1%
  • NoThingness - The Trick-or-Treat'ers

Votes: 11 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So how many judges are there this year?

10, but so far only 6 have sent in their ratings.

I'm closing it down tonight; if they haven't voted after this long, they aren't going to.

Very little difference between the judging and the public vote though, which is what I was hoping for, to avoid any bickery.

We'll crunch out the payouts and contact everyone involved, I want this DONE this week so people can get their hands on their well deserved prizes!

10, but so far only 6 have sent in their ratings.

I'm closing it down tonight; if they haven't voted after this long, they aren't going to.

Very little difference between the judging and the public vote though, which is what I was hoping for, to avoid any bickery.

We'll crunch out the payouts and contact everyone involved, I want this DONE this week so people can get their hands on their well deserved prizes!

did you understand mine?

The results are IN!
Finally had to close the judging; it's been long enough that it's unfair to everyone to continue waiting on judges who haven't yet responded.

We used every entry this year as opposed to a top-10, and weighted the judging AND the public vote -- power to the people :hfive:(Judging - 75%, Voting - 25%)

1 Dan Howard - October trees
2 BigBadBid - Reaper Waiting Room
3 Burntneuron - Nightmare Princess
4 BennettUA - Friday the 13th homage
5 Dan Howard - DGCR Fall Tour
6 DyeingToPlay - shaded skull
7 MartyK - The Killing Joke
8 DiscTattooist - Moon Over Cemetary DG
9 DiscTattooist - Jack-O-Evil
10 jdw80550 - Dia De Los Muertas Skull
11 Eky8 - blue witch and jackolantern
12 Moon - Entry of the Undead
13 teamtapin13 - Beautiful Nightmare
14 adamlamar - Frankie goes to Holeinthewoods
15 sickdisc.com - Zombie DG'er
16 NoThingness - The Trick-or-Treat'ers
17 bigmanbailye - Count Collossus
18 Askari - Frankenstein
19 maansmit - Falling Leaves
20 JSurmann - The Hand
21 Trozzle -- horrordisc
22 DyeingToPlay -- Moon
23 Ricky Bobby - Cornucopia
24 Askari - Brains-n-Chains
25 NorthernDisc -- Damien

The payouts will be finalized through the week -- rest assured we are going to be spreading the dye love in many different ways --- We want to communicate with those who put up discs in the prize pool, ensure that they're still available, and divy them to the appropriate winners.

We will post the payouts here once finalized, and hope to get some pics of the payouts in the winners' hands(and if they dye them)!

First off, Congrats to everyone who entered-they were all awesome. Super congratulations to Mr. Howard for saving the best for last.

Second, what's the deal with the divisions? I thought there was going to be categories for hand-cut/plotted.

Third, Big thanks to Bennett for handling the whole thing and still having a "killer" entry

Ehhhh...yeah, sorry. My dog got sick over the weekend so I was disctracted...Its more or less what I had in mind though...so I'm not too upset. Sorry to be one of the ones that made you wait...

So you changed the format after everything was said and done?

Nothing was carved in stone for how the payout was going to go, other than we wanted to recognize as many talented artists as we could, and pay out more to those not in the Dyer's Guild, and a plotter vs handcut payout somehow.

Lots of people were lined up to judge in the early stages of the contest's development, but only a handful showed up.
in lieu of that, we decided to use the public vote as well. Since it wasn't a purely voted competition, I don't think the results were far off from what most would say. And since it wasn't listed solely as a popularity contest, no one was going to get votes from 1-time posters that just joined solely to vote on a disc of someone they knew, at least not to the degree that the results were unfairly skewed.

This year's Okthrowberfest was a fierce competition - but not all can win. Nothing was skewed through this to help or hurt anyone's opportunity to place. (I was 3rd in the voting but the judges dropped me behind Nightmare Princess; doesn't matter to me, my payout would have gone back into the Guild anyway!)

I hope all who participated feel like this was done in fairness. If you have an idea for next year to help improve, please PM me, I'd love to hear it. We took this seriously and brainstormed as best we could on the best ways to vote, to payout, to organize, etc. And I think the results are that Okthrowberfest 2011 is the best damn disc dyeing contest this site has seen! :hfive:

Keep up with this thread to see the payouts as we get them coordinated!

First off, Congrats to everyone who entered-they were all awesome. Super congratulations to Mr. Howard for saving the best for last.

Second, what's the deal with the divisions? I thought there was going to be categories for hand-cut/plotted.

Third, Big thanks to Bennett for handling the whole thing and still having a "killer" entry

First off, thank you :)

Second, I realize it's not clear now since the payouts aren't finalized, but we wanted to payout to the top dyes, regardless of how they were created, first and foremost.

We also wanted to recognize plotter vs handcut, Guilders vs non, and as many other quirky ways to spread the love as we could.

We will.

But first and foremost, we wanted the winning dyes to be the BEST dyes, regardless of how they were made or by whom.

Congrats to all how entered. And an extra special thank you to Bennet and the rest of the guild for organizing an amazing contest. Also a big shout out to all of the people who donated money or plastic.

I was thinking for the next contest we should release the judging forms to everyone before the contest to show the criteria in which we are being judged. Kinda like knowing the rules before the game begins.

October Trees is now up for auction, all proceeds going to the EDGE Foundation.

Thanks Bennett, the Guild, Halloween Express, and everyone who donated to this year's contest for making it the best ever! Also gotta thank MARZAC2 for his help with the vector and DyeingToPlay for posting that sweet little birdie disc (his av), the painting on it was what inspired me to try the painting with acetone!

Salut to all the great competitors, the discs this year were amazing!

I am just glad I could be involved!!! Great work by everyone and I've learned a number of new techniques thanks to my fellow dyers!!! Congrats to the winners!!! I look forward to your next great discs!!

I can finally stop holding my breath! Way to go everyone and congrats Dan, been dying to ask (haha) did you hand paint the whole thing? It is truely art.

Also much respect to everyone involved in making this happen (esp Bennett:hfive:). This kind of thing is why the dyeing corner is my favorite part of this forum!