• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The sheer idiocy of playing in snow

I've had it with the cold wind and snow. I've been hitting the gym 4 days a week since January, only been on the course 3 times so far since 1/1. Hopefully getting back in shape will help me out on the course once this nonsense of a winter stops.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I think I've had 2 days of playing in the last 2 months. We'll get an occasional nice day when the snow's gone, but that's it.

Lots of gym time.

I havent played since last fall, its starting to drive me crazy. Can't wait for the snow to disappear

I played the last three days just to get outside a bit. It is exhausting trekking through calf-to-knee high snow. It's a good work out but bad for the frolf game. Glad I forced myself out there though, because last night's forecast of "1 to 3 inches" turned out to be another 7". So I probably won't play for at least another week, because knee-to-thigh high snow drifts is where I draw the line.

This is getting ludicrous.

I draw the line at playing right after a fresh snowfall of any more than 2 or 3 inches. Way too easy to lose discs in the snow, I don't play with ribbons (I already have enough of a noodle arm, I don't need external forces causing more distance drag on top of that) and spending 10-15 minutes kicking around a bunch of snow looking for my disc every time I lose one just isn't fun.

Give it a few days though, and it gets much more playable - braver souls than I will track down the snow in many parts of fairways, and if you get a day or two of sun, it kind of ices over the surface of the snow and melts a bit of it to the point where it gets less likely for a disc to dive through, and a clearer impact mark where it does. That, plus walked down snow is just less of a pain in the rear to navigate on foot.

Eventually though, enough overall snow accumulation (12"-18" or more is about my limit), even that which is semi-icy on the surface, just gets to be too much, and trudging through it, & trying to dig around for discs that do dive through, gets to be more trouble than it's worth.

First time playing in snow, while snowing, 28F degrees. Very light snow. Very poor footing. Played 9 and that was plenty.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4BFAEE6A-30C6-40BF-AEC1-415AFB2ECB31.jpg
    4BFAEE6A-30C6-40BF-AEC1-415AFB2ECB31.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 147
First time playing in snow, while snowing, 28F degrees. Very light snow. Very poor footing. Played 9 and that was plenty.

attachment.php

You sure ain't from my neck of the woods haha! I despise playing in the snow. But that, as Juke put above, isn't even snow haha. That's a heavy frost. I'm still probably playing in shorts on that course.

Snow golf is fun when you just stop pretending you are going to be anywhere near as good as normal.

Helps to be halfway decent at standstills to avoid falling and injuries where it's too slick.

I think I'll take a pass. BUT! I'd gladly watch a pro tourney in that.

That would be hilarious actually. Especially with all the California and southern folks on the cards. I'd watch that for giggles.

FWIW I even stop playing when it's that deep. Love the snow, don't mind the cold, butI hate looking for discs. I switch to more season appropriate activities haha. You'll see me again on the course somewhere between march and june, depending on when it decides to be spring up here again.

LOL- This, um, frost is slick! I didn't use the Tees most of the time and still fell once.

You don't really want to use the tees if you're not going to clear them first. You'll cause them to ice over unevenly from stomping on them, and they'll be treacherous to everyone else that tries to use them. Once they're frozen that way, they don't change until spring.