• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

You got a weird Tern then, that's not normal.

It's exactly like the other two in my group. Those two guys would say the same thing. Have you read this thread? Lots of "more stable" comments.

Anyway, really love it and looking forward to the Star for the -4 2 flight.

For me, they are not similar. I can easily flip an Archon. I still have not flipped my Tern. At least not over to where it heads right. I would say a Tern is closer to a Destroyer than it is to an Archon. In fact, my Tern is a good bit more overstable than my Pro Destroyer of similar weight. Not as overstable as my 175 Star though.

... what distances are you throwing these things?

a Tern is nowhere near a new Destroyer. it's close to my beat to **** pro destroyer but even that has more LSS.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/con...19&id2=7318363&id3=8775593&id4=4127027&n=1139

Maybe he throws destrulcans???

It's exactly like the other two in my group. Those two guys would say the same thing. Have you read this thread? Lots of "more stable" comments.

Anyway, really love it and looking forward to the Star for the -4 2 flight.

I find it amusing that a newbie who's been playing 18 months(New13), and put up 10 mins of video showing him maxing out at 250-300' with his MD2's, is questioning everybody's distance and telling them how their discs should fly.

In reply to your post above, yes, lots of comments about the Tern being less understable than expected, even destroyer-like...not only here, but on DGR too. For the champ version anyway, -2,2 is about right. It has turn, but has healthy fade too.

The prodigal idiot returns.

I'm not questioning his distance, I just think it helps others if along with your experiences you add in the distances you're throwing. I've seen people not get much turn on them and that's because they're not even getting to 400. That info helps others who have that range but if everybody just says mine does this then doesn't add range in it gets confusing and helps nobody.

Just made several throws with a star tern. Definitely different than the champ. Bleeds into the understable side of things. Not flippy by any means, and has huge glide. I wouldn't want to toss it into a headwind, but it should be huge in calm air or with a tailwind.

The prodigal idiot returns.

I'm not questioning his distance, I just think it helps others if along with your experiences you add in the distances you're throwing. I've seen people not get much turn on them and that's because they're not even getting to 400. That info helps others who have that range but if everybody just says mine does this then doesn't add range in it gets confusing and helps nobody.

Name calling always seems to be your first line of defense.

You're not the one to be telling people all this stuff...you've been at disc golf a relatively short time, and we've seen you throw(videos). Maybe learn more about the game before dishing out erroneous advice.

And anyone calling the speed 12 champ Tern a "finesse" disc and/or roller must have serious OAT. Pro's that have thrown the Tern, and more understable high speed drivers like the Vulcan and Mamba are able to control them just fine.

I recently tested out a tern and I didn't like it. It seemed too speed sensitive. It was like if I gave it 90%+ it would turn and burn. But anything less and it stayed on a straight line. I have never had that problem with any other disc. I throw an average Max D of about 460'.

Name calling always seems to be your first line of defense.

You're not the one to be telling people all this stuff...you've been at disc golf a relatively short time, and we've seen you throw(videos). Maybe learn more about the game before dishing out erroneous advice.

And anyone calling the speed 12 champ Tern a "finesse" disc and/or roller must have serious OAT. Pro's that have thrown the Tern, and more understable high speed drivers like the Vulcan and Mamba are able to control them just fine.

You hear that New it looks like you need to learn to control a mamba lol

You definitely can't go into it close to full power at that range without hyzer; though I agree it gets finicky on how it finishes when you're putting it out there. I like the straight lines you can hit with it powered down, its good for low ceiling drives.

I still prefer my quasar for big drives, much more reliable.

One thing I have learned about the Tern is it has no chance in a headwind when you're going for big D.

Also if I really try to push the distance it will flip to an anny line and not come back much if at all. Doesn't really matter though because when it's thrown smooth it will glide forever and get all the golf distance I'll ever need. The Glide also helps with control shots through the woods and this disc can give you the easiest 350' you'll ever get when powered down.

After the weekend at Flyboy where I threw this thing a ton I've really fallin in love with this thing.

Maybe its because I have weird form, but I see a decent amount of turn out of mine and my Max D is around 360 or so. The Star Terns are the bees knees though. I am getting distance out of them that I had only ever touched with my flippiest Laces. For instance, hole 10 at Widefield today...currently set in the 301 foot position. Basket is slightly right of the teepad. Lots of trees in the way initially, then opens up until more trees protecting the basket. Creek runs about 10 feet in front of the basket, so you have to go for it. Usually I throw a Teebird on a fairly low shot, but end up coming close to that creek. Today I threw my metal flake Tern) recent run) low and at about 75 percent power....it got a nice, smooth turn and had just started its fade when it hit the hill..30 feet past the basket.

If that hill wasn't there I might have had a legit (that is to say, not "Internet distance ") 350-380 foot shot on a ground skimmer line. Which is actually pretty big for me. The Tern just has so much carry, its becoming my go to driver instead of my Laces.

It truly fits a very specific niche, guys like me: been playing a long time, have a great understanding of the game and form mechanics, but just aren't the phenoms that can put any disc on crush mode. For us, this and the Lace are Godsends.

If only he knew....

I actually throw a Mamba, new13. It's been in my bag for awhile. There are some that are much less understable with a significantly higher PLH. I've picked up a couple spares of those. The HSS/LSS on these is more like -2,3 instead of -5,1. These will even do nice sweeping hyzers, which is something I never figured on with a Mamba. Preferred method for a distance line is hyzer-flip. It does anyhyzers like a Sidewinder, but longer.

I currently drive with a Mamba, champ Boss, and QOLF...and a champ Teebird as a 'control driver'.

If you lighten up, you'll actually absorb some usable info here instead of constantly hitting the board with all this false bravado. It's useless to try and lay that on everyone here all the time. Nobody cares what you claim you can do with any disc you throw, they are here for info on the discs and other equip.

Now, try something new...try actually thinking before you post. You might contribute something worthwhile that way. Or, maybe not...

i also throw a mamba, i've got a sparkly one with a heart on it.. and an ace. right now i'm throwing a hot pink one for the ladies. cuz i drive fo bitches... not putt for dough.

Latest posts