• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Anyone seen the 2013 world's cfr tern? It is marked *TE, but looks and feels exactly like lat 64 goldline.

Name calling always seems to be your first line of defense.

You're not the one to be telling people all this stuff...you've been at disc golf a relatively short time, and we've seen you throw(videos). Maybe learn more about the game before dishing out erroneous advice.

And anyone calling the speed 12 champ Tern a "finesse" disc and/or roller must have serious OAT. Pro's that have thrown the Tern, and more understable high speed drivers like the Vulcan and Mamba are able to control them just fine.

Bottom line is this. For players with 450 feet of power or more it is a finesse driver and makes a great roller straight out of the box. Of course us Pros can control them, but that doesn't mean much. I can control my beat DX stingray that I have had for years if I want to. One of my best friends and one of the top 3 farthest throwers in the world Mark Jarvis likes the Tern but he will agree it is a super undertstable driver, a finesse driver. He needs a ton of hyzer at release to get it to do what he wants, as do I. For someone that maxes out at 350 or under then maybe it is a stable driver.

Bottom line is this. For players with 450 feet of power or more it is a finesse driver and makes a great roller straight out of the box. Of course us Pros can control them, but that doesn't mean much. I can control my beat DX stingray that I have had for years if I want to. One of my best friends and one of the top 3 farthest throwers in the world Mark Jarvis likes the Tern but he will agree it is a super undertstable driver, a finesse driver. He needs a ton of hyzer at release to get it to do what he wants, as do I. For someone that maxes out at 350 or under then maybe it is a stable driver.

And, this makes perfect sense. And, I'm pretty sure, that you'll find the star version even more in need of finesse than the champ. Thanks for the insight of what a longer thrower would experience.

Well said.

I fall into the 350ish category. The Tern has been a great line-shaper out to that range for me.

Anyone seen the 2013 world's cfr tern? It is marked *TE, but looks and feels exactly like lat 64 goldline.

My Star Tern isn't marked with a model code on the underside, just a weight. I'd say it's *slightly* less grippy than lat64 goldline plastic, but great none the less. The tribal lemon stamp is awesome. Mine is blue/green prismatic foil on a silver disc. Friend of mine questions why I throw it, he'd hang it on his wall.

Fair enough, and well said. Although I still wouldn't use the word "finesse" driver because of its speed/power requirement...speed 12, 2.3 cm rim. I think of discs like the Sidewinder, Roadrunner, and Mamba as finesse drivers.

Some Tern's appear to be more stable than others, as evident from several comments in this thread. That's no surprise, you can find the same with Katana's, Boss's, Destroyers, etc.

IMO, the Tern is Innova's answer to the Lat 64 Bolt/Westside King...same shallow 1.1cm rim depth, same rim width(2.3/2.4cm), same sharp edge, similarly fast, glidey, and moderately understable flight. It's a turnover driver that has enough LSS to come back at end of flight. -2,2 is dead on, and that may be too understable for big power throwers who are used to throwing overstable distance drivers.

in comparison to other drivers of its class, it's a finesse disc. other high speed drivers with equal or less HSS don't power down as well as the tern. so when we say finesse disc that's what we're alluding to. i've watched guys throw very good shots with a tern where i was using a fairway or control driver and we were both getting similar flights.

I find it amusing that a newbie who's been playing 18 months(New13), and put up 10 mins of video showing him maxing out at 250-300' with his MD2's, is questioning everybody's distance and telling them how their discs should fly.

Gotta love a guy choading someone about how long he's been playing(as if it has anything to do with how well you throw) who doesn't state how long he's been throwing himself...

Not sure what videos you're talking about, but New013's distance is quite impressive, especially on low lines.

Name calling always seems to be your first line of defense....you've been at disc golf a relatively short time, and we've seen you throw(videos). Maybe learn more about the game before dishing out erroneous advice.
Were you looking in a mirror AND typing this at the same time? :popcorn:

After falling for the Champ Tern, I bought one of the Star Worlds on the DGCR marketplace, I'm more a Star-type plastic guy for grip's sake. I really love this Star Tern, but I need some more time(only 1.5 rounds yet) with it before a grand statement.

What I LOVE about the disc is the small rim yet enormous speed. Great for tight long shots without having to knuckle up or try to throw something on an ultra-hyzer flip and hope it doesn't turn too far over.

Name calling always seems to be your first line of defense.

You're not the one to be telling people all this stuff...you've been at disc golf a relatively short time, and we've seen you throw(videos). Maybe learn more about the game before dishing out erroneous advice.

And anyone calling the speed 12 champ Tern a "finesse" disc and/or roller must have serious OAT. Pro's that have thrown the Tern, and more understable high speed drivers like the Vulcan and Mamba are able to control them just fine.

New knows his ****. The Tern is most definitely a finesse disc for anyone that has any kind of power. You don't have to have 10 years of experience to be knowledgeable. Similarly, just because a person has a decade under their belt, doesn't mean they know their ****. You must need a ladder to get on your horse.

Last edited:
in comparison to other drivers of its class, it's a finesse disc. other high speed drivers with equal or less HSS don't power down as well as the tern. so when we say finesse disc that's what we're alluding to. i've watched guys throw very good shots with a tern where i was using a fairway or control driver and we were both getting similar flights.

:rolleyes:

New knows his ****. The Tern is most definitely a finesse disc for anyone that has any kind of power. You don't have to have 10 years of experience to be knowledgeable. Similarly, just because a person has a decade under their belt, doesn't mean they know their ****. You must need a ladder to get on your horse.

you and New are both full of **** ... you guys probably can't even hyzerflip a Turn

damn that camera was ****ty... which is weird cuz it was a nice camera then. now my phone takes better video. i should go out in the yard and see how far i can throw that thing now.

For the 450'+ crowd (who are capable of powering down and still throwing with snap), the Tern is a finesse disc. I find the Tern flies really similar lines to a D4 when powered up, just much shorter. I would also classify the D4 as a finesse disc at those distances. Need lots of latteral space and height to control longer throws. Or, hyzerflip lasers on a lower line for control.
The tern is better at a tight controlled S-shot, akin to a longer champ sidewinder, imo. Whereas the D4 is a less crappy katana.

Latest posts