• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Went out with a maxg gstar tern I picked up in trade and was expecting it to be flippier than the stars. But it wasn't, it was reliable with a good amount of hst and lst. I didn't have to worry about it turning over and not coming back, it was real nice and easy distance of course. Thrown with slight headwind and fair tailwind.

It is fresh so I'd expect it to change but I was impressed. Really fun disc

Yeah, mine is not really even close to as flippy as the two Stars I've had. Really need to bite the bullet and buy another Worlds Star.

I love the Tern lineup. I bag a Star,Gstar, and a Champ Tern. Three pretty different flights, and the Champ is stable enough for my weak arm and the lack of wind in the mountains.

I just got a champ Tern, about 168g I believe. I had tried the Katana in Pro and could not get any control over it. The Tern so far has been more reliable, but I don't throw it that much, maybe once a round if that. I dare only use it for longer tailwind shots, hyzer flipped. I've been getting good distance (for me) with it and keeping it in the fairway.

I just got a champ Tern, about 168g I believe. I had tried the Katana in Pro and could not get any control over it. The Tern so far has been more reliable, but I don't throw it that much, maybe once a round if that. I dare only use it for longer tailwind shots, hyzer flipped. I've been getting good distance (for me) with it and keeping it in the fairway.

In the past 2 rounds I've come to love the Tern. I find it easy to shape lines with and throw far without too much difficulty. I wouldn't limit throwing it to only tailwind shots.

In the past 2 rounds I've come to love the Tern. I find it easy to shape lines with and throw far without too much difficulty. I wouldn't limit throwing it to only tailwind shots.

Maybe. High speed, under stable plastic has it's place in my game, but I only use it when the extra distance is worth the risk. We've all seen these discs fly off in crazy directions once in a while. Most of the time, I'll sacrifice some distance for the predictability that comes with slower, more over stable molds.

Went out with a maxg gstar tern I picked up in trade and was expecting it to be flippier than the stars. But it wasn't, it was reliable with a good amount of hst and lst. I didn't have to worry about it turning over and not coming back, it was real nice and easy distance of course. Thrown with slight headwind and fair tailwind.

It is fresh so I'd expect it to change but I was impressed. Really fun disc

Yeah I got a 171 I've been throwing since last summer. Threw it close to 400 a few times which are bigitty bombs for me. Really controllable for noodles.

How many of you guys out there are really trying to shape lines with high speed, under stable drivers? Something like a sidewinder or a River is more feasible for me.

Yeah, mine is not really even close to as flippy as the two Stars I've had. Really need to bite the bullet and buy another Worlds Star.

Haha, that's actually what this was. Pro Worlds '14 yeee!

Now I'm confused.

Do you mean the 2013 Lemon Lakes Star Terns? They are the first runs (Silver and Gold Star plastic) There may be 2014 worlds stamped Terns but I doubt they are special.

How many of you guys out there are really trying to shape lines with high speed, under stable drivers? Something like a sidewinder or a River is more feasible for me.

I use a champ tern for my local course -which contains a lot of 340ft-377ft tight wooded holes (lots of turnover/hyzer/s curve routes). Its extremely shapeable because a champ tern is actually pretty overstable (because it can handle power) but also can easily be hyzerflipped.

I've noticed that even with beefy destroyers, the disc will still turn a little when thrown properly with enough arm speed. When beat in beefy destroyers actually can have a significant turn to flippy.

So if I want slight turnover I'll put a little hyzer on a champ tern it and rip it. If I want to land it straight I'll put a some hyzer and then aim at a target 10ft away to work with its natural turn. Plus I've done this in windy conditions too (maybe 10-20mph gusts). If its open field then you can throw flat and aim it a little high to get that huge S-curve for distance.

I've used sidewinders, TDs, leopards, and comets, and I love them but sometimes its difficult to deal with wind when you have to really hyzerflip stuff. Plus if the hole is longer,more than 330ft, then you're really trying to throw an ultra pure shot with a comet/leopard/sidewinder its a lot easier to work with something that has a more speed.

I've tried using star terns, but they're way to squirrelly for me in the woods. Open shots with only a little to no wind, hell yeah I'll break out the star tern and try to crush it. But if its really windy then I don't really have a choice but have to decide if the champ tern can deal with it (often times it can!) or just go with a destroyer.

Do you mean the 2013 Lemon Lakes Star Terns? They are the first runs (Silver and Gold Star plastic) There may be 2014 worlds stamped Terns but I doubt they are special.

picture.php

It's special to me ;)

^I stand corrected. That's pearly! Is it GStar or Star? Nice looking disc!

I use a champ tern for my local course -which contains a lot of 340ft-377ft tight wooded holes (lots of turnover/hyzer/s curve routes). Its extremely shapeable because a champ tern is actually pretty overstable (because it can handle power) but also can easily be hyzerflipped.

I've noticed that even with beefy destroyers, the disc will still turn a little when thrown properly with enough arm speed. When beat in beefy destroyers actually can have a significant turn to flippy.

So if I want slight turnover I'll put a little hyzer on a champ tern it and rip it. If I want to land it straight I'll put a some hyzer and then aim at a target 10ft away to work with its natural turn. Plus I've done this in windy conditions too (maybe 10-20mph gusts). If its open field then you can throw flat and aim it a little high to get that huge S-curve for distance.

I've used sidewinders, TDs, leopards, and comets, and I love them but sometimes its difficult to deal with wind when you have to really hyzerflip stuff. Plus if the hole is longer,more than 330ft, then you're really trying to throw an ultra pure shot with a comet/leopard/sidewinder its a lot easier to work with something that has a more speed.

I've tried using star terns, but they're way to squirrelly for me in the woods. Open shots with only a little to no wind, hell yeah I'll break out the star tern and try to crush it. But if its really windy then I don't really have a choice but have to decide if the champ tern can deal with it (often times it can!) or just go with a destroyer.

Feel you. I just have discs that I can manipulate more predictably than my Tern in tight quarters. When things go wrong with my Tern, they go very wrong. Maybe I'll learn to trust it more as time goes on. I've only had one for a few weeks. I do like to throw it though and man does it get downrange fast.

i'm confused now

Are we talking about first run gstar terns?

i'm confused now

Are we talking about first run gstar terns?

No. Worlds Star Terns look like,

m1VQF_qFkIJPUFv88DqMqQQ.jpg

Best Terns I've ever thrown. Lost my last one and have no idea how or where. People in my area don't call when they find discs. Outside of my little group that is.