• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Those older star Tern that said -4 turn, is it confirmed they're actually a different mold and not that they just reevaluated the numbers?

Didn't buy one because my friend said they didn't differ but now I feel like really missed the perfect beginner Tern. :)

Just the one mold. Innova went and re-numbered some of their flight numbers, and the Tern was one of those that got re-numbered. The Champion Boss also got renumbered.

Shows what I know, I thought the number difference was intentional based on the flight characteristics of star vs champ.

Shows what I know, I thought the number difference was intentional based on the flight characteristics of star vs champ.

You're not wrong, in that Innova knows Champion discs are generally more overstable than Star (yes, there are exceptions, such as my Thunderbirds). But Innova doesn't really TRY to make one mold have huge differences based upon plastics, they just know it turns out that way.

On some molds they may as well mark the numbers differently between different plastic types. But then again, that'd get confusing and complicated. As long people know that stability generally goes: dx->pro-->G*-->Star--> Champion they can account for it. Also, glad to see that someone else has noticed that Star Thunderbirds are super stable. I was very caught off guard the first few throws when mine turned left about as hard as I'd expect a seasoned champion firebird to.

Those older star Tern that said -4 turn, is it confirmed they're actually a different mold and not that they just reevaluated the numbers?

Didn't buy one because my friend said they didn't differ but now I feel like really missed the perfect beginner Tern. :)

So same mold, but every one of the -3 Terns seems to have a higher PLH (meaning more stable) than the -4's. And the few I have thrown are noticeably different. Of course, I have not checked in a while and this was a relatively small sample size. But I think Innova just tweaked the process of making them (let them cool longer, less time, or whatever) so they would come out a little more stable. They did this even more with the Hannah Leatherman Terns. I just think they did not want such a difference between Star and Champ.

On some molds they may as well mark the numbers differently between different plastic types. But then again, that'd get confusing and complicated.

They actually do mark quite a few molds different for one plastic on another. All distance drivers though I think.

Also, glad to see that someone else has noticed that Star Thunderbirds are super stable. I was very caught off guard the first few throws when mine turned left about as hard as I'd expect a seasoned champion firebird to.

And my Star Thunderbird is like that, as well: exceptionally beefy, and more so than my Champ Thunderbird (which is a great disc).

I just checked my most OS tern and it is -2 not -3. I haven't thrown but 3 or 4 terns ever so I never really noticed but I guess I'll keep it for the wind bag or something.

It is in some gnarly champ that doesn't feel like any from the era. Might've been water-logged can't remember​.

I'd say both Star and Echo are a touch longer than G*, but I have friends that would disagree.

I agree with this. For me, the G* seemed to get to its destination faster, and seemed to prefer low lines, but the Star carried past my G* almost every time. I've been dabbling with other discs as my main DD but I miss my Terns. Pretty sure they're going back ITB.

I dont know about anyone else, but my Starlite Tern was no more US than my Star.

Last edited:
My two Starlite Terns are more stable than any regular star or G* I've ever had and I've had many of each. Strange disc. In the perfect wind, these are my longest discs.

My two Starlite Terns are more stable than any regular star or G* I've ever had and I've had many of each. Strange disc. In the perfect wind, these are my longest discs.

Yea... I've only thrown it a couple times but I'd be willing to say my Starlite is a bit more stable.

Same weight, but Star vs GStar. Which Tern has more glide for max d potential? Thx.

My experience has had Gstar much more understable...more flippy than a star Vulcan. I haven't thrown a lot of them but it was definitely flippy enough for someone ~325' to use it properly, not for someone who likes champ Terns.

My experience has had Gstar much more understable...more flippy than a star Vulcan. I haven't thrown a lot of them but it was definitely flippy enough for someone ~325' to use it properly, not for someone who likes champ Terns.

Just mainly curious if star ihas more glide than gstar. I'm thinking the slightly stiffer plastic might result any further distance.

I was excited to find these metal flake terns after a recent tourney. Also got the Innova Mystere in my players pack. So far it is very ternish in it's flight.

Attachments

• 20170716_083436 (1).jpg
    20170716_083436 (1).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 58
Threw a Tern for the first time today and really liked it a lot for turnover shots 360'+ That being said I didn't like the Champion plastic, a few throws that it just slipped out of my hand early. How do these in Pro plastic (my favorite In nova plastic) compare stability wise to the Champion?