• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Well I just got a digi scale for sending packages, weighted the stable star tern for shiggles. Weighs in at 178... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under 300? Yes, sell and buy some recycled Falchions and Hatchets.

I won a Champ 168 and a bought Star 172 because of a late night Facebook binge. I keep debating about trying them out, but my crappy ultra OAT and under 300 distance makes me think I should just sell them while they're still new. What do you guys think?

Or put them on the shelf and use them to motivate yourself to work up into them.

And yes, while you're improving, the Falchion is an awesome disc.

I won a Champ 168 and a bought Star 172 because of a late night Facebook binge. I keep debating about trying them out, but my crappy ultra OAT and under 300 distance makes me think I should just sell them while they're still new. What do you guys think?

Dude, do it. I have no business throwing anything over speed 7 with my form, but when I'm feeling naughty... do I reach for blizzard bosses? Nope. Sidewinders? Thrashers? Vulcans? Nope.

...always the tern, in 168g star and domey JL champ. The best disc for "cheater distance" I've found because they glide far and have a teebird-esque fade.

Anyway, this season I took them out of the bag to throw teebirds for D, but man, they are nice for us rusty noodle-armed folks.

Sometimes I feel guilty for holding onto molds I don't throw anymore, like I should have sold them or traded them for something instead of just sitting in a chest, collecting dust in a closet. My distance game was getting a little flat after a couple years of slightly discing down, so I decided to put a pair of Terns back in the bag. I forgot what being able to throw 400 ft felt like. Man, I missed that extra distance. Great mold, love the flight.

I am a new player, got excited and order a lot of distance drivers that I shouldn't be throwing yet, currently remedying that. I through 250-300, and the Terns have been amazing. I have 2 champion ones, 175 and 173 I think. but they fly so well, even with my newbie throwing arm. The are currently my favorite. But I will shelve them for now as I will be filling out my putter/midrange discs for learning, and at most a low-end fairway driver.

I am a new player, got excited and order a lot of distance drivers that I shouldn't be throwing yet, currently remedying that. I through 250-300, and the Terns have been amazing. I have 2 champion ones, 175 and 173 I think. but they fly so well, even with my newbie throwing arm. The are currently my favorite. But I will shelve them for now as I will be filling out my putter/midrange discs for learning, and at most a low-end fairway driver.

Try a Leopard3. You should be able to throw that pretty straight at your arm speed. It will probably fly just as far as your Terns but be more controlable and will help teach you to throw straight. If you are throwing over 250 feet you don't need to limit yourself to just putters and mids (although that will help too). Just keep it in the 7-9 speed range and not too overstable or you will lose distance and learn bad habits trying to compensate for the over-stability.

Try a Leopard3. You should be able to throw that pretty straight at your arm speed. It will probably fly just as far as your Terns but be more controlable and will help teach you to throw straight. If you are throwing over 250 feet you don't need to limit yourself to just putters and mids (although that will help too). Just keep it in the 7-9 speed range and not too overstable or you will lose distance and learn bad habits trying to compensate for the over-stability.

Well, thats one thing I did right, in one of the lots I bought on ebay ( I bought about 30 discs), I have a relatively newish champion Leopard3. I love throwing that. Its one of my goto discs atm. Its a little overstable, but I think I just need more practice with it. Getting some good midrangers like Roc3 and Mako3, and I might get an Discraft FD or some MVP/Axiom midrangers/fairways. Selling a lot of what I already bought. Like the 4 grooves I have. very bad decision on those. but htey came with a Monarch that I like to throw too.

The discmania FD will be similar to your Leo3 if not a little more over-stable. Roc3s and Mako3s make a good pairing. Try looking at the MVP Relay for easy distance and nice stable flight. But again, that will also be similar to your Leo3. If you like the champ Leo3 but find it has a bit more fade than you want, try a gstar Leo3.

Good luck and keep throwing! You'll figure it out. Some of us who have been playing for a while, like to buy lots of discs to build our knowledge base on how things fly. It's a hobby. You'll be best served on building your throw around as few molds as possible until your form is relatively solid. Then start branching out. One of the things I learned along the way is, there are no magic bullets. Once you get your Leo3 and your Roc figured out, then go back to the Tern and see what happens. Always do your field work and ask yourself, is the distance you gain from throwing a Tern that much more? Or only just a little more. Is it worth it? That's my 2 cents. Oh, and sell those Grooves. Good luck with that.

I have tried and tried to get the Tern out of my bag. I've tried to disc down, still want to try a Star Mystere and S-line CD3, and still trying to disc down. I've tried discing up, Shryke, Destiny, etc. Just can't get that 167g Star Tern out of the bag. Cannot do it.

The discmania FD will be similar to your Leo3 if not a little more over-stable. Roc3s and Mako3s make a good pairing. Try looking at the MVP Relay for easy distance and nice stable flight. But again, that will also be similar to your Leo3. If you like the champ Leo3 but find it has a bit more fade than you want, try a gstar Leo3.

Good luck and keep throwing! You'll figure it out. Some of us who have been playing for a while, like to buy lots of discs to build our knowledge base on how things fly. It's a hobby. You'll be best served on building your throw around as few molds as possible until your form is relatively solid. Then start branching out. One of the things I learned along the way is, there are no magic bullets. Once you get your Leo3 and your Roc figured out, then go back to the Tern and see what happens. Always do your field work and ask yourself, is the distance you gain from throwing a Tern that much more? Or only just a little more. Is it worth it? That's my 2 cents. Oh, and sell those Grooves. Good luck with that.

Ya, I plan to do that. I will give the MVP relay a try soon. Right now I don plan to sell many of my drivers, just put them away for a later date when I am a bit more honed with my throw. I will sell some of them, as I think I already dont like how some fly. like the Grooves, the DX Shark, and a few others I have. Thanks for all the info! Thank god for ebay, I can get most of my unwanted discs sold quickly. But I think the Tern will keep holding its place in my bag. Even if I don't throw it, I will probably keep it in there. Got a nice bag that holds 20 discs (including 2 putter slots), and one that holds 10-12. So I will probably keep the tern in my play bag of 10-12, even if I don't throw it.

i didn't like the terns at first. I threw a star and champ and they were too beefy.

i just got a star, semi beat up. man this thing glides and goes far. and straight.

I got a 162 Star Tern that absolutely bombs. I like the feel of the Renegade better with its 21mm rim, but the Tern is just straight up longer. Easily my longest disc

I put my HL tern back in the bag. I don't have a huge arm but it's not a noodle either. The HL tern has that extra tick of stability that I need to get a good distance flight. I get mine out in the 400-430 range, and don't feel like I have to overpower it and thus can control it at max distances better than most other discs.

Glad I kept my stack when I stopped throwing them for a bit, even more excited that they are making more.

Weight doesn't matter too much on stability with the tern. Some of the most overstable were lighter weights, and the max weights, not so much.

I'm curious about the HL's. Are they truly different, or is the stability just from the weight?

more HSS than all of the others I've thrown, which have all been near max weight. At least the 2016 version, don't know about the 2017 release, but I'd guess it's the same.

I'm curious about the HL's. Are they truly different, or is the stability just from the weight?

Hard to tell, they've all been max wt. if we could get some HL Terns in the mid-160s to make comparison throws, it'd be a beautiful thing... 'cause I'd be buying a couple of those...

Broke out my 175 HL Tern today for the first time in many months. Damn, this thing bombs. Considerably more glide than my champs.

Latest posts