• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

I still haven't thrown it!:eek:

I'll have to look around and figure out what I did with that Tern. Its around somewhere. I found it last year.

Just found a glow champion Tern recently. It smells like a dirty lake, but maybe I'll go throw it tomorrow.

BTW, if you like stable Terns you might give the G* Destroyer a look. I find them to be pretty mellow. You can mash them and get good high speed turn out of them.

I keep forgetting that I have a glow Champ Tern (found it on sale somewhere) and I keep forgetting to take it to the range. :doh:

i do like the Pro Destroyer. Relatively mellow for a Destroyer, and did well in headwinds today. I'm going to keep working with it.

I keep forgetting that I have a glow Champ Tern (found it on sale somewhere) and I keep forgetting to take it to the range. :doh:

i do like the Pro Destroyer. Relatively mellow for a Destroyer, and did well in headwinds today. I'm going to keep working with it.

I'll more than likely toss the glow Tern tomorrow. I'll come back on here and discuss what I think of it. Its max weight.

That HL Tern will take some digging to find. Its in a big stack of discs.

I threw the champion glow Tern along with a few other drivers in the field today. I wasn't really impressed with it. Bit of a stubborn disc. It didn't really want to glide or flex out very much. For me it flew more like a DDX. Premature, sharp fade that seemed to hurt overall distance.

I won't call it useless, but it wasn't quite what I'd expect from a Tern. I had a star Shryke today that was blowing 40' by it routinely.

12, 4, -2, 3. Real hooky fade and lack of glide hurt overall distance. Still has the high speed turn, but not a very graceful flight.

Glow Tern is definitely beefier than other Terns I've thrown. The Shryke has supremely stolen the semi understable bomber slot in my bag and the Tern probably won't ever make it back in there.

Last edited:
I threw the champion glow Tern along with a few other drivers in the field today. I wasn't really impressed with it. Bit of a stubborn disc. It didn't really want to glide or flex out very much. For me it flew more like a DDX. Premature, sharp fade that seemed to hurt overall distance.

I won't call it useless, but it wasn't quite what I'd expect from a Tern. I had a star Shryke today that was blowing 40' by it routinely.

12, 4, -2, 3. Real hooky fade and lack of glide hurt overall distance. Still has the high speed turn, but not a very graceful flight.

Glow Tern is definitely beefier than other Terns I've thrown. The Shryke has supremely stolen the semi understable bomber slot in my bag and the Tern probably won't ever make it back in there.

How far you throwing it?

If the glow tern is domey and you're looking to sell it let me know!

How far you throwing it?

If the glow tern is domey and you're looking to sell it let me know!

Probably 400' avg today. Had a bit of a down day throwing and I wasn't really feeling it.

On a good day I'd be looking at another 30' consistently.

Picked up 2 champion terns when they first came out. Love them, easy to control and predictable flight. I can get 380 to 430 consistently with them. Just throw a hard straight shot and the disc responds really well.

I still haven't thrown it!:eek:

I'll have to look around and figure out what I did with that Tern. Its around somewhere. I found it last year.

Just found a glow champion Tern recently. It smells like a dirty lake, but maybe I'll go throw it tomorrow.

BTW, if you like stable Terns you might give the G* Destroyer a look. I find them to be pretty mellow. You can mash them and get good high speed turn out of them.

I find my GStar Destroyers are pretty much a deeper Champ Tern, but easier and more reliable distance.

I threw a bunch of "max D" discs today:
168 Star Shryke
166 Champ Tern
2x 175 GStar Destroyers (one is a bit more seasoned, but they both turn from a flat release)
2x 175 Pro Destroyers (both are fairly fresh -1,2 flight, not really glidey though)
165 Star Destroyer (domey Pre-Avery, only reason I don't bag it is irreplaceability)
167 Lucid Trespass

So the Pro Destroyers were the most consistent in terms of distance, probably because they were thrown flat, while everything else needed some sort of hyzer, which I can't consistently do. When I got it perfect the Tern was longer than the Shyrke, but I got much more consistent distance with less power from the Shryke, and the Shryke is more comfortable. My consensus is to bag my Star DS (OS and mostly used for headwinds and FHs) a Pro, and whatever I figure out between the Shryke, Tern and GStar Destroyers. I bet a Champ Shryke might fill that Pro DS slot though, I will have to find and throw one.

ISo the Pro Destroyers were the most consistent in terms of distance, probably because they were thrown flat, while everything else needed some sort of hyzer, which I can't consistently do. When I got it perfect the Tern was longer than the Shyrke, but I got much more consistent distance with less power from the Shryke, and the Shryke is more comfortable. My consensus is to bag my Star DS (OS and mostly used for headwinds and FHs) a Pro, and whatever I figure out between the Shryke, Tern and GStar Destroyers. I bet a Champ Shryke might fill that Pro DS slot though, I will have to find and throw one.

I had a Champion Shryke until I lost it to the lake on the home course. :( IIRC, it was more overstable than the Star Shryke, but not "all that" more overstable. So the Champ Shryke might work well for you (depending on how the specific disc you get molds up).

And yes, Pro Destroyers are pretty awesome. :) After my range work this weekend, I've put mine in the bag as my headwinds-fighter disc.

I find my GStar Destroyers are pretty much a deeper Champ Tern, but easier and more reliable distance.

I threw a bunch of "max D" discs today:
168 Star Shryke
166 Champ Tern
2x 175 GStar Destroyers (one is a bit more seasoned, but they both turn from a flat release)
2x 175 Pro Destroyers (both are fairly fresh -1,2 flight, not really glidey though)
165 Star Destroyer (domey Pre-Avery, only reason I don't bag it is irreplaceability)
167 Lucid Trespass

So the Pro Destroyers were the most consistent in terms of distance, probably because they were thrown flat, while everything else needed some sort of hyzer, which I can't consistently do. When I got it perfect the Tern was longer than the Shyrke, but I got much more consistent distance with less power from the Shryke, and the Shryke is more comfortable. My consensus is to bag my Star DS (OS and mostly used for headwinds and FHs) a Pro, and whatever I figure out between the Shryke, Tern and GStar Destroyers. I bet a Champ Shryke might fill that Pro DS slot though, I will have to find and throw one.

My last field throwing session I had 1 throw with a star Shryke that really stood out. I threw it flat at about 70% power. The disc started left of the target and worked right quite a bit and held that line before sweeping gradually left at the end of flight. It was the kind of S curve anyone dreams about throwing. It also happened to be my longest throw of the day. Probably 430' or so. That is by no means my all time best power, but for the day it was easily my best throw.

What I really loved about it was that I didn't feel like I was throwing my arm out trying to crush it. I think the Shryke actually does better when you aren't trying to massacre it.

The Tern I had out there that same day simply wasn't keeping up with the Shryke. Same lines, but nowhere near the penetration and glide.

Oh, another sneaky bomber disc I've found recently that's overlooked: G* Boss. I love them. They flex out and glide a little better than star or champion Bosses. I was putting a max weight G* Boss way downrange on huge, gentle S curves.

The Tern I had out there that same day simply wasn't keeping up with the Shryke. Same lines, but nowhere near the penetration and glide.
I find this so strange. While similar in flight, I tend to have the opposite results. Especially the glide. Shrykes are fairly glidey, but Terns are king of glide past speed 9.

Speaking of, I need to go buy all the echo stars left on eBay. BRB.

I find this so strange. While similar in flight, I tend to have the opposite results. Especially the glide. Shrykes are fairly glidey, but Terns are king of glide past speed 9.

Speaking of, I need to go buy all the echo stars left on eBay. BRB.

That might be why if you are throwing E*. That plastic was the bomb, I had a couple Stars that I could get decent consistency out of, but one is MIA and the other is in a pond. Too bad Innova doesn't know what is good for them from a throwers perspective, but apparently they do $$$ wise. I wouldn't have a problem if E*DS were still a thing, but as is the case with Innova sometimes, you find a mold that you like too late (E*TB fits this as well).

I've had good luck with my single champ Tern. It doesn't work well for forehand (more because grip is uncomfortable) but that thing outperforms a Shryke in glide for sure. No "dumpy" end fade, but it does have some bite at the end. Who would expect anything else from a speed 12? I consistently get it out over 350', with good rips going 375-400'.

Interesting. I have 9 Shrykes in 3 different plastics. I'd put any one of them against any Tern I own (20 or so) for sheer distance..... and expect the Shryke to come out easily on top.

I do have a E* Tern I haven't thrown, as well as a HL star Tern.

I think the longest Terns I've seen were all G*. They get a little flippy, but glide is outstanding and the late fade is minimal. If I had to try to outdistance a Shryke with a Tern it would be with a G* Tern.

Interesting. I have 9 Shrykes in 3 different plastics. I'd put any one of them against any Tern I own (20 or so) for sheer distance..... and expect the Shryke to come out easily on top.

I think the longest Terns I've seen were all G*. They get a little flippy, but glide is outstanding and the late fade is minimal. If I had to try to outdistance a Shryke with a Tern it would be with a G* Tern.

For your armspeed and the distances you throw, the Shryke is probably better. For many others, the Tern is "the one". I can't seem to find anything that consistently beats the Tern for me.

I lost one EStar Tern to the lake, but still have two left. They really are good discs. I don't like GStar, so I'll leave judgement of it to others.

Also, the HL Tern is relatively overstable (per Hannah Leatherman's specs), and is a reasonable wind fighting disc, especially for relative noodle arms like myself.

That's a much bigger sample size than mine. I'm basically comparing a single 175 champ Tern to a single 175 champ Shryke. I bought heavy champ cuz I wanted a Tern that wasn't too flippy. I haven't thrown any others, but I'm scared to think how flippy Terns could get in some plastics and weights. I haven't really given the Shryke a chance backhand yet, but it feels like it doesn't have enough turn for me to get a full flight. I would definitely have to throw it with a flatter release to get as much D, but who knows. SD86 is probably right about arm speed too.

I posted something in the Shryke thread a few days ago about being confused by all the Tern vs. Shryke comparisons. I just don't get why the Shryke gets compared to a Tern any more than to a Katana or even a Boss. It's a good disc, for sure, and I'll keep both it and the Tern in the bag for now.

That's a much bigger sample size than mine. I'm basically comparing a single 175 champ Tern to a single 175 champ Shryke. I bought heavy champ cuz I wanted a Tern that wasn't too flippy. I haven't thrown any others, but I'm scared to think how flippy Terns could get in some plastics and weights. I haven't really given the Shryke a chance backhand yet, but it feels like it doesn't have enough turn for me to get a full flight. I would definitely have to throw it with a flatter release to get as much D, but who knows. SD86 is probably right about arm speed too.

I posted something in the Shryke thread a few days ago about being confused by all the Tern vs. Shryke comparisons. I just don't get why the Shryke gets compared to a Tern any more than to a Katana or even a Boss. It's a good disc, for sure, and I'll keep both it and the Tern in the bag for now.

To make a short story long: I have two Champion Terns. One is 167g, the other is 157g (and I've never seen another one at that wt. available to be ordered). Even at 157g, the Champ Tern is not as glidey nor turns as much as Star Terns for me.

My first Star Tern, which was one of the first discs I ever bought, was 163g. After a good bit of use, it began getting flippy on me. So I got a couple in my favorite wt., the upper 160s (167g and 168g). The one I used a lot began getting flippy. And then I saw the Hannah Leatherman ITB video, and she was having the same Tern wearing-in problems, so she asked for the HL Terns (swirly Stars, btw) to be made heavier and a bit more stable. My attempted solution has been to get the 171-172g Echostars that I could find before they disappeared completely, and also a Star Tern at 170g, as well as the HL Terns previously purchased. The Echostars are doing well, so far.

So yes, Star Terns do get flippy, and you might want to pick up one or two of the next runs of HL Terns. They'll take a good long while getting any kind of flippy, and it helps out Hannah Leatherman, too.

TL; DR: yes, Star Terns can get flippy, and there are solutions other than just Champ Terns...

Last edited:
Haven't really cared for Terns in G*. May need to revisit.

The G* Tern is borderline flippy. They have a lot of high speed turn and can be a bit tough to keep on a flat line. That said, they glide and bomb very well. I would't ever throw one in a situation where accuracy was vital, but for big yardage they're great.

The lightest Tern I've thrown was a starlite 158g. It was actually manageable. Wouldn't flip over unless I forced it. Big bomber. I also have a 162 star Tern. Totally flippy. I couldn't throw it at all.

Last edited:
The lightest Tern I've thrown was a starlite 158g. It was actually manageable. Wouldn't flip over unless I forced it. Big bomber. I also have a 162 star Tern. Totally flippy. I couldn't throw it at all.

No surprise to hear this. From what I've heard and read (including on these boards), Starlite Terns are (perhaps surprisingly) stable/overstable. My Starlite Tern, which was an X-out due to a mis-stamping, was 157 or 158g, and was about the same as my 157g Champ Tern. The Starlite plastic felt awful, though.

Latest posts