• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

That's a much bigger sample size than mine. I'm basically comparing a single 175 champ Tern to a single 175 champ Shryke. I bought heavy champ cuz I wanted a Tern that wasn't too flippy. I haven't thrown any others, but I'm scared to think how flippy Terns could get in some plastics and weights. I haven't really given the Shryke a chance backhand yet, but it feels like it doesn't have enough turn for me to get a full flight. I would definitely have to throw it with a flatter release to get as much D, but who knows. SD86 is probably right about arm speed too.

I posted something in the Shryke thread a few days ago about being confused by all the Tern vs. Shryke comparisons. I just don't get why the Shryke gets compared to a Tern any more than to a Katana or even a Boss. It's a good disc, for sure, and I'll keep both it and the Tern in the bag for now.

I think the Shryke needs at least 375' power to really see the full flight. Its a semi-understable disc, but it still takes a decent arm to really flex out. I'll have times when I'm not throwing great and Shrykes seem to stall out and hyzer.

I can see why guys who throw 300'ish might think the Shryke isn't as long as a Tern. Terns tend to be easier to get up to speed. I know I personally had an easier time learning to throw a Tern than I did a Shryke. Once I dialed in the Shryke it started blowing 30' past the Tern.

I've had two Star lites. More stable than Star. I struggled to fit them in the bag because they would seem, on paper, to be good for downwind distance, but the added stability meant I was not getting good turn out of them. Went to lightweight Star and have been very pleased.

For anyone who has tested a wide range of weights with the Tern, what were the differences you found between them?

I've currently got a 158g Star Tern...just wondering how going up to a 167g or down to a 149g Tern would change the results I got, distance wise and flight wise.

Thanks!

TripleB

For anyone who has tested a wide range of weights with the Tern, what were the differences you found between them?

I've currently got a 158g Star Tern...just wondering how going up to a 167g or down to a 149g Tern would change the results I got, distance wise and flight wise.

Thanks!

TripleB

Its gonna be flip city.

The 158 starlite Tern I have actually isn't flippy. All the light G*s and stars I've seen are super flippy though.

Thanks!

TripleB

I just got back from the range (schoolyard), where I was throwing several Terns and some other old lightweight discs I dug out of boxes. I threw my 155g Starlite Tern and my 163g Star Tern (the first Tern I ever bought). The Starlite Tern did surprisingly well for me today; it was sometimes the longest throw in the group, and the other times the Star Tern was the winner (except for that one throw with the Blizzard Destroyer that just caught the perfect storm of form and wind, but I digress). I usually had problems with that Starlite Tern, so I was happy with today's results. It was not flippy, though it did turn before fading back.

so, are you happy with that 158g Tern? Is it turning over on you, or just not going as far as you think it should? Also remember that Star Terns do wear in, and seemingly faster than some other molds in Star (as said in some above posts). So if a lightweight Tern is flippy now, it's only going to get more flippy with use.

So my $0.02 would be to try the heavier weight (160-class) first and see how it does relative to the 158g disc. You might be surprised at how good the 160-class disc will do for you.

so, are you happy with that 158g Tern? Is it turning over on you, or just not going as far as you think it should?

Most of the time I am...I think it's more about me being consistent with my throwing action than the actual disc most of the time. Today I went to a local park and worked on the consistency of my motion and release...I think I found something today that has been leading to my inconsistency and shorter distances. I think when I've been pulling the disc back on my approach I've been dropping it down to my mid belly region. Today I concentrated on keeping it up higher (even with my breast) and this seemed to really allow me to gain some extra pop at the point of release. I also have to keep reminding myself not to try and start throwing with all my might as soon as I start the disc forward....I have to hold the rip to the very end.

My longest throw was with my 158g Tern and the weight feels about right...it doesn't feel overly light and it held up in the wind (about 10-15 mph) pretty well (and I tried throwing it with, against, left, and right). If I threw it perfectly it was bombed. I did have it turn over once or twice but that was probably user error.

That being said, my most consistent long disc today was my 154g Jade. I would say it averaged longer than the Tern just because it was very consistent in the distance it went. There were times when the Tern just didn't take off like was expecting. The Jade took off every time I threw it...and then it just seemed to glide forever. And it even held up well in the wind. If I had to go to the course with the Tern or the Jade, I'm pretty sure I'd choose the Jade.

Thanks for the input!

TripleB

I think it's more about me being consistent with my throwing action than the actual disc most of the time.

TripleB

No way, a difference of a few grams in weight is infinitely more important than having consistent good form.

Sorry to be snarky but at some point you'll need to settle in with a couple of molds and just throw them. Nothing wrong with experimenting with new discs but ultimately only you can determine what works for you.

Most of the time I am...I think it's more about me being consistent with my throwing action than the actual disc most of the time. Today I went to a local park and worked on the consistency of my motion and release...I think I found something today that has been leading to my inconsistency and shorter distances. I think when I've been pulling the disc back on my approach I've been dropping it down to my mid belly region. Today I concentrated on keeping it up higher (even with my breast) and this seemed to really allow me to gain some extra pop at the point of release. I also have to keep reminding myself not to try and start throwing with all my might as soon as I start the disc forward....I have to hold the rip to the very end.

My longest throw was with my 158g Tern and the weight feels about right...it doesn't feel overly light and it held up in the wind (about 10-15 mph) pretty well (and I tried throwing it with, against, left, and right). If I threw it perfectly it was bombed. I did have it turn over once or twice but that was probably user error.

That being said, my most consistent long disc today was my 154g Jade. I would say it averaged longer than the Tern just because it was very consistent in the distance it went. There were times when the Tern just didn't take off like was expecting. The Jade took off every time I threw it...and then it just seemed to glide forever. And it even held up well in the wind. If I had to go to the course with the Tern or the Jade, I'm pretty sure I'd choose the Jade.

Thanks for the input!

TripleB

Sounds like you're working out some issues quite well. Some commentary from you in the past led me to think you were having nose-up issues, but your corrective action on your form should help with that.

If you're happy with your Tern at 158g, then stick with it. Maybe on your next one, go for 160-162g and see how that does for you.

Just ordered a 175g Champion Tern. I've got a few holes at some upcoming tournaments where I'm just not getting the distance out of my Pro Wraiths that I need. Only have a few weeks to try and dial it in. Had some Champ Terns a few years ago and remember them being bombers.

Just ordered a 175g Champion Tern. I've got a few holes at some upcoming tournaments where I'm just not getting the distance out of my Pro Wraiths that I need. Only have a few weeks to try and dial it in. Had some Champ Terns a few years ago and remember them being bombers.

How far do you throw a pro Wraith? You should also take a hard look at the Shryke if you want all out distance.

How far do you throw a pro Wraith? You should also take a hard look at the Shryke if you want all out distance.

400' is my typical max.

I've seen how popular the Shryke has gotten but I'm not sure how I'd like a speed 13. If I come across someone with a Shyrke I'll see if I can get a throw with it. For now, the Tern is a safe bet.

400' is my typical max.

I've seen how popular the Shryke has gotten but I'm not sure how I'd like a speed 13. If I come across someone with a Shyrke I'll see if I can get a throw with it. For now, the Tern is a safe bet.

The Shryke really doesn't feel like a typical speed 13 driver. It doesn't take a ton of arm to get to cruising speed and won't fade out sharply like a lot of fast drivers.

Put it this way, if you throw a Wraith 400' you'll throw a Shryke 440'. The Shryke is probably the mellowest (easiest to throw) speed 13 disc I've seen.

I'm curious how you'll like it. I've just thrown one 175 champ Tern, but it's earned a long term spot in the bag. It sounds like you throw a little farther than me, but for me I really like hyzer flipping it to straight.

I think the Tern may likely fit what you want. Twmccoy is right that you should consider a Shryke, even if it's just feeling one in a store or throwing a friend's.

A 175 champ Tern should be good for the bag. It'll definitely be longer than a pro Wraith. I like heavy Terns. Never really got the feel for light ones. They're too inconsistent. I figure I can get 30' more out of a Tern vs. a Wraith. Terns have better glide and flex (S curve) better than a Wraith.

I bagged a 171 champ Tern for a while, but the G* Shryke replaced it and I never looked back.

Got my new Champ Tern out to the course today. Had a hard time keeping my grip because of how shallow it is. I think I remember this being the issue I had with it years back. Going to stop by a PIAS tomorrow to see if I can get my hands on a Shryke. I'd like to test those two together over the weekend.

Got my new Champ Tern out to the course today. Had a hard time keeping my grip because of how shallow it is. I think I remember this being the issue I had with it years back. Going to stop by a PIAS tomorrow to see if I can get my hands on a Shryke. I'd like to test those two together over the weekend.

If you do this, let us know how it goes. Head to head I prefer the Shryke over the Tern pretty easily.

The Shryke isn't quite as shallow as a Tern either, thus making it easier to grip/throw.

If you do this, let us know how it goes. Head to head I prefer the Shryke over the Tern pretty easily.

The Shryke isn't quite as shallow as a Tern either, thus making it easier to grip/throw.

Yup. The Tern grip is definitely a bit different. That may be why it seems (to lots of people) like it's slower or more manageable than a typical speed 12.

For me, the Tern feels terrible forehand but feels very nice backhand. Shryke feels fine for both, though for me it still feels like it has way more HSS than a Tern. Curious what you'll think about the Shryke, Stable.

...For me, the Tern feels terrible forehand but feels very nice backhand...

For me it's the opposite :D Cannot throw it to save my life backhand. Just too shallow and can't hold on to it. Forehand feels and flies great, though.

Picked up a 170g Champ Shryke (mild dome) at PIAS on my way to the course. Spent some time just throwing my new Tern (Champion 175g / Flat) and Shryke to see the differences.

Two main differences are grip and HSS. The Shryke is much more comfortable to hold because it's not super shallow like the Tern. I was able to get consistent releases time after time with the Shryke where I struggle with gripping the Tern. The other thing is that the Shryke has more HSS where I could rip on it with a slight hyzer and have it hold a straight line that the Tern would......well turn.

Took me some time to really figure out how to get a real bomb with the Shryke on a FH. Backed off it to much and it will hyzer out. Give it some anyhyzer and it will roll over. Was able to dial it in just right and figured out how to park a hole that I was always 30-40' short with my Pro Wraith.

If the winds are down, like today, the Shryke seems like a very useful tool. Going to keep working with it. If anyone is debating between the Shryke and Tern, I'd say go Shryke all the way because of the comfortable grip.

Latest posts