• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

I just got some Champ Terns and I'm loving them...Great glide, great plastic, perfect useful stability. After what seems like years(since the Innova has finally made another driver I really like. I've only played a couple rounds with my Terns (3x172, 1x167) so far, but they have been completely intuitive on every shot I've thrown with them. I'm going to get some more (who knows what the next run will be like) because I'm pretty sure I've found my new D driver.

What is it kicking out of your bag?

I throw both champ and world's terns. The champ tern is noticeably more over stable. The champ will not turn in a head wind and fades a lot more. My champ tern is 163, world's is 172.

How is it that Innova stamps the Star Terns as -4 / 2, and the Champ Terns as -2 / 2 ?!?!

I have been throwing a Worlds Star Tern, but bought a couple production run Star Terns so I can take the Worlds disc out of the bag. Didn't think I would get a disc that's labeled -4 / 2....

The Worlds Star Tern definitely isn't -4 high speed.

Anyone thrown the production Stars? Compared them to the Champs? Just curious, strange that Innova would stamp the same disc in two different plastics with different flight numbers.

I have champ and world's and agree with you. While the world's is more understable, no way does it throw like any other -4 disc I've ever thrown.

As to your last post, Innova has done this with several molds. Just look at their PDF selection chart. You will see black numbers, then red numbers for a few discs.

The one I don't get is the Star Katana. My Academy has those in both -2 and -3. Same plastic and same stamp otherwise.

the ones that were stamped with 2 different sets of numbers were deemed different enough to revise the flight numbers some time later. The "Red" numbers on the charts show the other speed ratings.

What is it kicking out of your bag?

I've been using Mamba/Sword/Giant. I'm always trying to reduce molds, and I'm thinking I may be able to go with Tern/Giant. This will especially be doable if I can get Star/TP versions that are less stable. I know that the Tern and Giant are the most comfortable speed 13 discs I've thrown in the hand as well.

I'm impressed how this disc handles wind despite it's low stability. It took me a while to come around on the Tern but it's now the farthest disc in my bag.

And -4 is ridonkulous. My friend throws a Worlds and it is clearly less stable than the Champ I throw, but like Gravity said even -3 might be too much.

Between the Climo Tern, Champ and the Star you actually have a nice range of stabilities to choose from.

I'm impressed how this disc handles wind despite it's low stability. It took me a while to come around on the Tern but it's now the farthest disc in my bag.

And -4 is ridonkulous. My friend throws a Worlds and it is clearly less stable than the Champ I throw, but like Gravity said even -3 might be too much.

Between the Climo Tern, Champ and the Star you actually have a nice range of stabilities to choose from.

It kicked the Laces and Kraits out of my bag. My worlds Tern is firmly a -3 but not a -4. I will put it this way...I can throw my Worlds Tern flat and it will do a nice long s curve but still finish to the right. I dont have to put much hyzer on it at all to get it to flip flat.

At my arm speed and power level I could probably take out all but my most overstable Destroyer and just rock my Terns and do fine. In fact, I migjt do that for some rounds and see how it goes. The Climo Tern for me flies pretty similar to my well-loved Echo Star Destroyer. The Champs (regular production) fly a lot like my beat Pro Destroyer but woth a smoother fade...the Champ Terns hold annys better but hyzers worse. My Worlds is great...
Fliptastic but controllable.

I climbed up 40ft of intense vine wrapped throughout a giant magnolia tree the other day to get my Tern back.

You didn't like my explanation, too bad. Time to grow up?

There's a video around...something to do with dumping a 250 ft drive into the water in a tournament. It was pathetic. Hmmm, maybe dig that up, quiet you down a little.

Can we get this link? :clap:

plastic durability

I have a bunch of opto in my bag so that is what i am basically comparing the jolly launcher to, but my two terns seem to be beating in faster than I would have hoped.

Anyone else noticing excessive gouging? Was I expecting too much? I really loved this disc "out of the box" but it became too flippy too fast.

Some Tern 1st impressions

I've been on a discing down adventure for the past few months - nothing faster than speed 8-9 (whatever MVP fairways are). The last D driver I'd ordered before this was a 166 Champ Tern. And so it sat, waiting it's turn. Finally, last weekend, I broke out unthrown 163 Lace action along with the Tern, mostly out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised with both and with the extra distance overall. Previously, I couldn't count on D drivers to give me any extra D at all, so I took them out and worked on form - a lot. Putting them back in, I can now see an appreciable increase and will be hard pressed to keep them out at this point. Frankly, I can't decide which I like better so both are in for further testing. If the Champ Tern really is -2/2, then the Lace feels like -3/2. I did find I turned my Tern over pretty hard in a headwind, my Shock easily blew by it on a frozen rope. I love the plastic and feel though, so I want to give it a fair shake to make the cut. Overall, color me impressed.

I have a bunch of opto in my bag so that is what i am basically comparing the jolly launcher to, but my two terns seem to be beating in faster than I would have hoped.

Anyone else noticing excessive gouging? Was I expecting too much? I really loved this disc "out of the box" but it became too flippy too fast.

I can honestly say I don't have this problem. I have a first run Tern that's been in my nag since they first came out and I throw it a lot. It's still pretty neutral, not flippy at all. It's got its fair share of scuffs but no gouges at all. My Climo Tern looks brand new despite throwing it basically every day since I got it.

My Star Worlds Tern got even flippier pretty quick but it seems to have held that level of understableness for awhile now.

i do enjoy the fact that innova is printing the more realistic flight ratings per the plastic. ive not thrown the stars but im liking the champ. i have good feeling this will be the disc i touch 500 with. 450 on the regular has got to come first though.

Got a 170 yellow star tern today, alot more shallow than a star destroyer, has a little more flip when thrown right but its definitely not a -4

i have found that the lighter weight terns tend to get more understable the lighter you go. my star tern is 171 and is consistent but slightly more understable than my first run or reg run 175g terns

Can anyone tell me if there is any significant variation in flight from the Champ Proto's to current Champ stock or the Climo tour series?

Can anyone tell me if there is any significant variation in flight from the Champ Proto's to current Champ stock or the Climo tour series?

Protos and Production runs fly the same for me.

The Climo Tern is an interesting disc, however. They claim its "more stable" but to Innova that must just mean "has a tad bit more fade." I stilll get a good -2 high speed turn out of it (when thrown flat) but its got just a hint of more low speed fade....maybe a +2.5. Still has that great glide though.

I have the production, Champ, and MF champion Terns. I honestly don't think the stamp matters one bit on the production and Champ ones. My Champ one has way more flip to it than my production. To the eye they are identical in shape/plh. The only difference I have noticed is that the plastic on my Champ one is alot more flexible. (Just like with the star plastic I think the flexibility of the plastic seems to define its stability.) I recently bought another stiffer tern this weekend but have not been out to field test it yet to see if it is consistent with my observations....hopefully it is.
the MF terns are very HSS straight and have a tad more end fade. They also seem to have a slightly lower profile than the production and champ ones as well as being significantly stiffer. And preform better into headwinds.
I'm throwing mine just shy of 400' and these are about the flights I'm getting with a slight hyzer release.
5w32.png

**My Paint skills are not the greatest but these lines are pretty close**

Latest posts