• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] The WestSide 'King'

What kind of King would have the most stability/dome?

My sparkle VIP near max weight are my most stable Kings. None of my Kings are particularly domey (or particularly flat for that matter...)

I havent tried Moonshine Kings though. Ive been meaning to but I'm pretty content with my driver setup. Anyone know if they more stable than regular VIP and TP Kings?

Soo.... if you don't feel like sitting through 35+ minutes of in the bag with Feldy for the minute and a half he talks about what you wanted to know, here is a synthesis :

VIP and TP are about the same but DF implies that TP wears faster when he says he throws opto/lucid/vip when he's concerned the disc might hit some pavement or gravel and get road rash.

His trick for finding stable Kings (and other molds) is to push in the top of the flight plate to feel for a little pop or click as the flight plate is depressed. The click or heartbeat sound made by the flight plate indicates a stiff pop top or dome that should mean greater stability.

Or you could get good at studying PLH.

Heartbeat TP sounds like my jam. Anyone know of a retailer I can trust; DD?

Justin at Communitydiscs is a solid dude. He's a DGCR homey. I actually just got a misprint VIP King from DD in the mail today, can't wait to see how it flies compared to the one I found. It's a bit flatter but the PLH is higher so it's anybody's game. :popcorn:

I have a 175 TP with a big pop top, it was money understable for a whole season. Now it has worn into a bit too extra understable for my taste. I tried to give it to my picky buddy who can't throw very "well" and he didn't even want it because it doesn't fly as far as his extra extra understable blizzard discs lol.

This misprint King is pretty flippy, doesn't tolerate OAT at all. Surprised me b/c the PLH doesn't look that bad but it is fairly flat. I'm thinking about doming it up with some warm water to see if it makes it more wrist roll-over friendly.

I don't suppose anyone has tried the Elasto Kings yet?

I'll order one shortly if I can't find it in the pro shops today or tomorrow.

Beefy Kings and beat Giants are my go to for distance so I'm glad to finally see Kings in Elasto. Love the feel of elasto and the ++stability.

I don't suppose anyone has tried the Elasto Kings yet?

I'll order one shortly if I can't find it in the pro shops today or tomorrow.

Beefy Kings and beat Giants are my go to for distance so I'm glad to finally see Kings in Elasto. Love the feel of elasto and the ++stability.

I have a 174.5g sparkle purple Elasto King; I've gotten to throw it about a dozen times during field test. Released on a slight hyzer and watch it slowly cruse right and then hook up. I enjoy watching the flight of it b/c it's beautiful. I carry 4 Kings, all in different plastics and stability. I just need to figure out where it fits and if I want to replace it with what is already there.

Also worth noting, it seems a slight less stable than my 1 yr old moonshine King. Just a tad :)

I have a 174.5g sparkle purple Elasto King; I've gotten to throw it about a dozen times during field test. Released on a slight hyzer and watch it slowly cruse right and then hook up. I enjoy watching the flight of it b/c it's beautiful. I carry 4 Kings, all in different plastics and stability. I just need to figure out where it fits and if I want to replace it with what is already there.

Also worth noting, it seems a slight less stable than my 1 yr old moonshine King. Just a tad :)

Thanks for the info. I was hoping they would be the most stable of Kings. I think I'll continue cycling Giants for distance for now. I need to get back to the field to work on distance, which is a bad time to try out new drivers anyway.

loving my King in Tournament Plastic, 174g. Just feels right in my hands and while throwing. I couldn't get any disc yet as far as the King.
One thing bothering me though is that the disc has a bit too much fade at the end (right hand, backhand throw).

Can you recommend a similar disc with less fade?

loving my King in Tournament Plastic, 174g. Just feels right in my hands and while throwing. I couldn't get any disc yet as far as the King.
One thing bothering me though is that the disc has a bit too much fade at the end (right hand, backhand throw).

Can you recommend a similar disc with less fade?

How far are you throwing the king? How much turn are you getting out of it compared to the fade( example: turns 20 feet to the right off the center line and fades back 30 with a net of 10 to the left of center)? Without more explanation of how it flies for you, it is hard for someone else to recommend what you are looking for.

How far are you throwing the king? How much turn are you getting out of it compared to the fade( example: turns 20 feet to the right off the center line and fades back 30 with a net of 10 to the left of center)? Without more explanation of how it flies for you, it is hard for someone else to recommend what you are looking for.

I get it about 110m. turns about 5-6m to the right and then fades about 15-20m to the left.
pretty consistent flight paths to me. never flips or does anything else crazy.

Sorcerer, or air trespass, if you want to stick with trilogy with 350' of power I think this is what you're looking for, understable and when it hooks back it doesn't dump as bad as a king, if you don't care about manufacturer, a fission photon would fit that slot, really lots of discs, what about the king do you like? Rim width?

I kind of want to try a King, I'm not bagging a super fast Max D driver in any slot except super OS.

I used to throw a Katana, but never loved the rim and even the Champ ones got so squirrelly with and wind at all.

The King I feel might get me Katana distance with a little better feel and stability.

Sorcerer, or air trespass, if you want to stick with trilogy with 350' of power I think this is what you're looking for, understable and when it hooks back it doesn't dump as bad as a king, if you don't care about manufacturer, a fission photon would fit that slot, really lots of discs, what about the king do you like? Rim width?

hard to tell, it is just the overall feeling in my hands and when throwing/releasing. just feels right.

Moose33 said:
I used to throw a Katana, but never loved the rim and even the Champ ones got so squirrelly with and wind at all.

I had a 168g Star Katana. Was not reliable to me. Sometimes it went into a nice S curve and up to 100m, sometimes it just turned right and never came back.
Much better throws with the King for me.

I get it about 110m. turns about 5-6m to the right and then fades about 15-20m to the left.
pretty consistent flight paths to me. never flips or does anything else crazy.

I am always a big fan of the champion Tern. It may start out with the same stability as your King, maybe even a little more resistant to turning right, but it also does not have a very strong fade. And b/c it is not an overstable disc, it will lose a little stability and get some more turn and even less fade after a month or two, but stay in that spot for a long time. Or just get a max weight star Tern. Will start out with noticeably more turn than the champ and less fade. The only problem is it can become too much of a turnover disc after a while. Just to give you a comparison to yourself, I hit 400 (122 meters) 80% of the time with the champ and a little farther with a fresh star.