• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] The WestSide 'King'

Anybody throwing these lately. I saw in the Feldberg ITB update where he says the newer VIP Kings are one of Westside's more reliable molds. I find that to be true. It'll flip but it fades out unless there is a headwind.

i threw a king as a water disc today, always thought it was a great mold. adds a ridiculous amount of distance to anyones throw.

The newer Kings are more stable, but I'm also not seeing the distance gains I did with the older runs. Not that my form was even respectable when I had an early run King, but that's my experience.

Newer Kings are really close to a Nuke.

Agree, the new Kings are more stable. 2 of my 4 Kings in my bag are new, both Moonshine 168 and 171. I love them both. I really enjoy the 168 b/c I can rip into it and will turn slowly and glide back for an awesome fabe. I also have a 170 vip and it's a nice stable flyer; can't wait for it to break in. Unfortunite for me, I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan until Spring, so I haven't thrown it in awhile...until Spring :)

If you have not tryed the newer ones, they are worth a try!

i like the look of these as they are one of the few max width (they are, right? correct if wrong) distance drivers i have seen in stores with moderate/small dome. i've been seeing a lot of superflat distance drivers or super domey distance drivers. it's like they either cut the air or glide through it.

all the kings i saw at GGGT had this perfect, small dome to them. i may have to give them a try, but i know i'd need to complement them which irks me.

i like the look of these as they are one of the few max width (they are, right? correct if wrong) distance drivers i have seen in stores with moderate/small dome. i've been seeing a lot of superflat distance drivers or super domey distance drivers. it's like they either cut the air or glide through it.

all the kings i saw at GGGT had this perfect, small dome to them. i may have to give them a try, but i know i'd need to complement them which irks me.

Kings are 2.3 so Innova speed 12.

Boss/Quasar
Cannon
Rampage
Nuke
DD2
Torrent
Katana

These are all close to max width Innova speed 13.

I know rim width=speed. But like some MVP stuff the king seems to fly faster than other discs with the same rim width. Profile probably has something to do with it as well.

King/Giant combo is what I do. Works well.

I have not tried too much new plastic in years, the giant is supposed to be a bit of a meat hook correct? How does it fly compared to a stable world or even a stable destroyer?

I have not tried too much new plastic in years, the giant is supposed to be a bit of a meat hook correct? How does it fly compared to a stable world or even a stable destroyer?

The Giant is quite a bit more overstable than a Destroyer. You really need to crank on it to get a good straight flight. I haven't thrown the World yet so can't comment on that one.

Thats what I thought. I feel like i would need something in between the giant and king. Until you have a beat giant and a freak stable king.

A World is definitely in between a Giant and King for stability but its still pretty overstable and fast for me.

My TP King finishes to the right (RHBH) and the Giant is obviously left. I throw these for straight, but your mileage may very depending on your power (I throw ~370 average distance drive) :

Moonshine Trespass
VIP King
VIP Sorcerer

edit : Giant is comparable to a poptop/sds destroyer I would say. high speed overstable and big fade.

Last edited:
The Giant is quite a bit more overstable than a Destroyer. You really need to crank on it to get a good straight flight. I haven't thrown the World yet so can't comment on that one.

There are some TP giants that are pretty understable, but that being said. I think the most understable giants are still more OS than the most OS worlds.

If you get a new run VIP giant or most TP giants then they aren't even in the same league. Honestly you could probably even carry a TP giant, a VIP world and still have room for something inbetween them if you wanted.

That's more what I want to hear. I am trading a couple discs for a Giant tomorrow, I am interested to see how it flies. If i can get the kind of D I get out of my straighter forces, with the stability of my overstable forces I will be very happy.

That's more what I want to hear. I am trading a couple discs for a Giant tomorrow, I am interested to see how it flies. If i can get the kind of D I get out of my straighter forces, with the stability of my overstable forces I will be very happy.

those two things are kind of contradictory . . . it sounds like you're trying to have your cake and eat it too. the giant is supposedly the same rim width as the force according to specs. i think that if you want it to fly far yet still be overstable like a beefy force, you may be looking to disc up in speed considerably. obviously rim width isn't everything, but it is very telling.

anyway, yeah. i think the king/giant would be superb combos for distance/control distance lines. really made for one another.

Last edited:
those two things are kind of contradictory . . . it sounds like you're trying to have your cake and eat it too. the giant is supposedly the same rim width as the force according to specs. i think that if you want it to fly far yet still be overstable like a beefy force, you may be looking to disc up in speed considerably. obviously rim width isn't everything, but it is very telling.

anyway, yeah. i think the king/giant would be superb combos for distance/control distance lines. really made for one another.

Honestly, the giant kind of is having your cake and eating it too in terms of OS discs. The think that makes it so unique is that it bombs on an OS driver line. They have so much glide that they just go crazy far.

My initial tests with the giant was its beefy, not ridiculous like my most stable forces but very usable stability. It does have a bit of flashing, which I tried to wear down on some sidewalk. It is longer than my beefiest force, and is a touch more stable than my go to forces. I will have to do more field work, but I think I would be better off with a more stable end of the spectrum world to replace my forces. The giant could cover a lot of my predator shots, but overhands horribly.