• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] The WestSide 'King'

I've been using VIP Kings for about a year now and just got an Elasto. It's a little less stable than my other max weight Kings and flies a lot more like the ones in the 160s I used to have.

Anyone else finding them less stable?

I tried an Elasto King as my first foray into the mold. A friend who is a keen King thrower noted it appeared more stable than his Tournament or VIP and picked-up an Elasto of his own. I think it may still come down to the dome? Mine is fairly domey - not huge, but definitely not flat.

In general, the thing I've liked with the King at my altitude (1047m) is that it glides a long way on its transition between turn and fade and really grabs some bonus D. Headwinds do cause me to seek safety in other molds, but in its element, I find it a consistent bomber. I also really like the feel of the Elasto in hand.

Yeah, dome seems to make or break this mold for people. Domey Kings are a lot less touchy than flat Kings. Your form has to be perfectly sterile to keep flat Kings from flipping out.

Soooo, there's a tilted sword King? How can you order one? I mean, how can you know which sword type of King you are getting?

Most of the newish ones I have are the more jagged beard and tilted sword one. Some have been more stable but it's not uniform.

Tilted sword Kings were a stamp from the first run, which for me have much more glide than the second run. Since tilted swords are basically OOP, ebay is your best bet or I have had luck with trading people in my league.

Tilted sword Kings were a stamp from the first run, which for me have much more glide than the second run. Since tilted swords are basically OOP, ebay is your best bet or I have had luck with trading people in my league.

Thanks

Bump.

I'm thinking about picking up a couple VIP Air Kings just for fun. Probably won't make the bag for serious rounds, but could be fun just tossing something insanely light and flippy during super casual rounds. Anyone have any experience with VIP Air Kings in the past year or so? Hoping for something with significant dome/glide, so I'd like to make sure they aren't coming out flat these days before placing an order.

Bump.

I'm thinking about picking up a couple VIP Air Kings just for fun. Probably won't make the bag for serious rounds, but could be fun just tossing something insanely light and flippy during super casual rounds. Anyone have any experience with VIP Air Kings in the past year or so? Hoping for something with significant dome/glide, so I'd like to make sure they aren't coming out flat these days before placing an order.

Junk. If you have any armspeed they're unmanageably flippy. Not a fun disc to throw, and I have nothing good to say about the air King. If you throw over 350' you might as well go with a full weight King.

I'd say the same about the air Ballista. Cool in theory, but a nightmare in actuality.

Junk. If you have any armspeed they're unmanageably flippy. Not a fun disc to throw, and I have nothing good to say about the air King. If you throw over 350' you might as well go with a full weight King.

I'd say the same about the air Ballista. Cool in theory, but a nightmare in actuality.

Aby thoughts on low weight Star Shrykes? Like around 160-162g? I've got one around 168 that is surprisingly stable.

To this day, my longest throw ever was with an Air King. Too bad it was so unpredictable. When it was bad, it was too bad to play.

IIRC we've bagged some of the same molds in the past. What other crusher discs have you thrown to compare the Air King to? Ballista? Shryke? Tern? Destiny? Trying to recall which one(s) you've also thrown. I also found the King pretty squirrely in the past, but living at elevation now I thought maybe it'd be OK as a wide open max distance fun disc.

IIRC we've bagged some of the same molds in the past. What other crusher discs have you thrown to compare the Air King to? Ballista? Shryke? Tern? Destiny? Trying to recall which one(s) you've also thrown. I also found the King pretty squirrely in the past, but living at elevation now I thought maybe it'd be OK as a wide open max distance fun disc.
Yes, I have thrown all those. I had brief success with both Ballista and Destiny, and some true bombs with the latter. Here's the problem. They break in so fast they become too understable for anything other than down wind. Well, I throw low. So, downwind, the wider rimmed drivers do not glide out at the end of flight for me, so those become basically worthless.

I am one of the few that throw Terns farther than Shrykes. I do still have uses for Shrykes though. I hate champion plastic for distance drivers, so I find fresh Star Shrykes to be a decent sub for those and I can pair them with Terns of the softer plastics, especial EchoStar which have been my favorite drivers of all time.

Lately, I have been crushing Mayas. I would love to know the build of those things. They look a lot like a Tern wing that is just a bit shorter on rim width. Highly recommend.

Aby thoughts on low weight Star Shrykes? Like around 160-162g? I've got one around 168 that is surprisingly stable.

I haven't had luck with lightweight Shrykes either. I threw one that was 157g. It was this choppy, ugly, blizzardy looking star plastic. Disc was very flippy. Once it turned over it didn't even try to come back either.

The most beefy air mold I can think of is the Ballista Pro. Those things are stubborn, and I don't feel like they glide well. They're hard to turn over, and won't hold a flex line very well.

Frankly, I think the air Ballista Pro and the regular ballista Pro are two different molds. They don't look or feel the same in your hand.

How far do you throw? Knowing that would help in recommending what understable discs to throw.

I personally favor G* Corvettes, Shrykes, Terns, Ballistas, and Katanas for understable bombs. I want a disc that turns over initially, but has a little late fade to bring it back. I can get any of the molds I mentioned out to 450'+ consistently.

I'll dabble with flippier stuff like Kings, Destinies, Bolts, Nuke SS, etc. Those discs will go a long way if you hit the line right. However, if you get it wrong the disc is going to flip horribly.

I don't throw air plastic on the course. Its too inconsistent and flippy. It also gets hammered by wind. I prefer a moderately flippy mold in heavier weight.

Yes, I have thrown all those. I had brief success with both Ballista and Destiny, and some true bombs with the latter. Here's the problem. They break in so fast they become too understable for anything other than down wind. Well, I throw low. So, downwind, the wider rimmed drivers do not glide out at the end of flight for me, so those become basically worthless.

I am one of the few that throw Terns farther than Shrykes. I do still have uses for Shrykes though. I hate champion plastic for distance drivers, so I find fresh Star Shrykes to be a decent sub for those and I can pair them with Terns of the softer plastics, especial EchoStar which have been my favorite drivers of all time.

Lately, I have been crushing Mayas. I would love to know the build of those things. They look a lot like a Tern wing that is just a bit shorter on rim width. Highly recommend.

Terns are pretty underrated. In some instances I throw them further than Shrykes too. A Tern is a very legit bomber that will hang with any other mold for sheer distance.

My favorite semi understable bomber has to be the Katana. Star or champion. They turn fairly easily, but have good late fade. Katanas handle power well.

How far do you throw? Knowing that would help in recommending what understable discs to throw.

I'm not a power thrower. I rely on accuracy and putting to score. This year my typical distances have been:
320' straight-to-hyzer (fresh Trespass on hyzer release).
340' hyzerflip with some flex to it (beat lightweight Trespass)
375' max distance when all stars align (stable/heartbeat Shryke thrown with a touch of anny, or beat Ballista on a hyzerflip).
400' literally once per year, which is infuriating because I can't replicate it.

I'm interested in trying discs that would be fun to crush during fieldwork, and not as worried about if they will make my bag or not. I'm really throwing a lot less distance drivers on the course these days and my scoring has gotten better as I've increased control with mids/fairways.

Terns are pretty underrated. In some instances I throw them further than Shrykes too. A Tern is a very legit bomber that will hang with any other mold for sheer distance.

My favorite semi understable bomber has to be the Katana. Star or champion. They turn fairly easily, but have good late fade. Katanas handle power well.

Katana is an interesting recommendation. I've got a buddy that bags one so I will check his out. Are they a pretty inconsistent mold? I'm assuming so because it's wide-rimmed and Innova...

Katana is an interesting recommendation. I've got a buddy that bags one so I will check his out. Are they a pretty inconsistent mold? I'm assuming so because it's wide-rimmed and Innova...

Unfortunately, not really. A good Katana is a work of art, but there are plenty of bad ones out there. I want ones that have dome. Flat Katanas are really beefy and glideless.

Relativity is another mold you might look at if you want a mindless crusher. I can get those out past 450' pretty easily. Super fast, glidey, and long.

Unfortunately, not really. A good Katana is a work of art, but there are plenty of bad ones out there. I want ones that have dome. Flat Katanas are really beefy and glideless.

Relativity is another mold you might look at if you want a mindless crusher. I can get those out past 450' pretty easily. Super fast, glidey, and long.

Like you, I also prefer domey heartbeat drivers. Have you had more luck with Katanas in Champ or Star? Also, are Pro Katanas even worth trying or are they flippy hot garbage?