• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This is why we yell, "Fore!"

She was a non-player who didn't know she was on a DG course, and probably wouldn't know what "Fore!" meant. I doubt yelling it would have mattered.

Willian was at Sunset Park Oct 14th watching her son play football without knowing that she was actually standing in the middle of the disc golf field, making her an unintended target for the flying frisbees made out of poly etholine plastic.

"There was nothing. No warning that they play that there," she added.

She didn't see any signs cautioning people to look out for flying discs. So she called action news. When we went out to the park, a couple of disc golf players had a hunch something had happened on the field.

If anything, this is a good example of why DG courses need dedicated space.

A spokesperson for Clark county has confirmed in a written statement that the signs were donated by a disc golf group after an event was held at the park and officials opted to keep them up for added safety.

Yeah for us. Too bad about the accident though.

80Played posted up a story the other day about a dog eating his Destroyer, and when he talked to her she said "Well it's just a stupid frisbee". That lady should see what that did to this person's face, I'd like to see a "frisbee" do that...

wow, i agree though. The guy probably yelled fore and she had no idea........and I wouldn't say its and unfortunate event for the sport. Unfortunate for the girl who got hit, but nobody should be looking at the sport any differently!

If anything, this is a good example of why DG courses need dedicated space.

While I agree with that sentiment, I would hate to have that be a requirement. I've played a lot of courses that share certain portions with other park amenities. The Pease Park course is squeezed into a narrow park and many parts of the course meander quite close to the hike and bike trail. I'd hate to not have half the holes at Pease because their fairways traverse too close to the jogging trail.

There are alot of people out there that just have no idea what is going on around them. There is a course like that around my house that plays around some soccer fields, and those people have no idea what is going on, even though there are usually quite a few people playing dg there. At least once per round, there are idiots standing in the fairways.

It doesn't matter one bit whether or not the football spectators knew there was a disc golf course there. If there are ANY people within your range (including your shank range) who aren't actually watching you throw, you DON'T THROW.

At least once per round, there are idiots standing in the fairways.

Hitting non golfers with discs is bad PR for the sport. Calling non golfers idiots is even worse. While we golfers understand flight paths and shanks, the unfamilar folks have no clue what we are up to....even after they see us heaving the disc and banging the chains.

This would be an excellent time for all of us that play in mixed use areas to speak with facility managers about the need for course signs. For PR reasons, the caution:flying discs sign may be the most important....

It is bad PR but there are so many people who just disregard their own safety because all we are throwing are "Stupid Frisbees".

These same idiots wouldn't picnic on a horseshoe pit would they?

Sorry about the chick and all but for some reason I doubt this was the first disc that flew that day and she probably watched a dozen golfers go by and didn't even give a thought to it.

"Out of nowhere I got hit by a frisbee golf disk" we are ok guys!! she got hit my a flying disk! not disc!!! its all good! :D stupid media....unfortunate for her....and yes, im making assumptions but I bet who hit her was a punk kid just playing disc to light up and vandalize...if not...shoulda known better

image.php

My avatar is from Central Park in Georgia. They have several posted around. I still don't think we can just throw blindly though. That person just as easily could have been a small child. A hit like that could be life threating to a kid. You can't say they weren't warned but think about how bad you would feel if you hit someone like that. I would feel terrible.

Now if someone is being stubborn because they don't like disc golf and are intentionally blocking the fairway. I say give them a warning yell and fire away!

Almost inevitable. If 98% of disc golfers are prudent, it will still leave a significant number who will throw without regard to civilian safety, especially beginners who haven't been schooled in disc golf etiquette. For the non-disc-golfers, course fairways are hard to recognize---they're not fenced off or lined or paved like other park features.

At Earlewood, a mixed-use park already, the parks department is preparing to run a walking trail through the course, criss-crossing fairways, looping near baskets, and running through areas that are blind from the tees. There'll be warning signs for both trail users and disc golfers. But I'll bet when the inevitable hit or near-hit occurs, it'll be the disc golfers who get blamed.

I think the warning signs are a good idea but i still throw way out of my way to avoid these people or just skip the holes all together. i haven't had very much of a problem with that down here in Houston, but when i lived in grand Rapids it was a different story. Riverside and lamar are notorious for people just chilling in the fairway. lamar kinda ask for it with all the picnic tables they place all around there. riverside side is bad because everyone wants to fish and sometimes that puts them in the way of disc.